Closed Thread
Page 10 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    I'm assuming a late term abortion is the same process that I went through when my baby died in-utero?? You're induced, go through labor and give birth? A friend had to terminate for medical reasons at 17 weeks and it was the same process as me.

I think 14 weeks or earlier its a d&c? I may be wrong with the gestation.

The laws vary state by state as to what circumstances and gestation an abortion is legal.
    Yes, that is what happened to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it would pointless to "ban" these types of abortions. After all, if I wanted an abortion and knew certain reasons wouldn't grant me one, I could very easily just lie. So what then? Just ban all abortions? (Pro-lifers, no need to quote and say, "YES!"... my question isn't posed to you... more to those who claim to be pro-choice, yet want stipulations).

I am still in complete support of a woman's right to make this choice. Some women will do things that make me uncomfortable with that stance, but so many more women will choose to abort for reasons I (and many others I suspect) feel are far more "valid," than whether or not a gender scan says you're having a boy or a girl (and seriously, the results of those aren't infallible anyway).

I think putting stipulations on reasons for wanting an abortion is stepping into dangerous territory, and is almost the same as any pro-life argument. It's still, "I, a stranger, know more about what's best for you than you do."

And trust me, I've heard some horrible crap about abortions... but I still think the "greater good," is to grant all women the right to make the choice to abort... regardless of their reasons. In Australia at least, there's unlikely to be a large percentage of women making this call because she'd rather have blue linens than pink.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-04-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (28-04-2013),onionskin  (29-04-2013),Rutabaga  (28-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I do get the logic that placing qualifiers on what is an 'acceptable' abortion becomes a value judgment. But I worry where the line is. With 4D u/s and medical advances happening quickly, should it be acceptable to abort bc the child's ears are too big? It doesn't look enough like it's father? In India women are seen as the most attractive when they are light skinned. Should it be ok to abort bc a girl child's skin tone is too dark?

I do agree though, I don't think it would be common to see many abortions in Aust solely bc of gender....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (28-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    I'm assuming a late term abortion is the same process that I went through when my baby died in-utero?? You're induced, go through labor and give birth? A friend had to terminate for medical reasons at 17 weeks and it was the same process as me.

I think 14 weeks or earlier its a d&c? I may be wrong with the gestation.

The laws vary state by state as to what circumstances and gestation an abortion is legal.
    But when the baby does in utero, they are no longer alive, their heart is no longer beating. They have already passed before the birth. A perfectly healthy baby that is 'terminated' needs to be assisted to make its heart stop beating. It hasn't died naturally, medically it is caused to die.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It's not the act of the abortion that I have issues with, it's the reason for it (in this instance). The article does state that in Australia the instances where a couple ask for an abortion on the grounds that it is the wrong gender are miniscule but just because the majority of us are privileged by living in Australia doesn't mean we should be blinkered to what goes on in the rest of the world.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wouldn't think this would be common whatsoever, and would they even be approved by the medical boards? The only way I could see this passing is if it was causing someone genuine mental distress from some sort of fear of one sex.

Either way, I get that gender is such a massive, massive deal in many cultures including ours. It's not something I understand, but heck most of us promote gender stereotyping and want our girls and boys to be X so I guess we have to accept that this has negative results as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    But that's your morals, not theirs.
    This goes beyond morals. We're talking about the life of a beautiful little baby.

It's wrong. Choosing to end a life based on sex is wrong, no matter which way you look at it.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Cazza1981  (29-04-2013),Cinderella82  (28-04-2013),SoThisIsLove  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella82 View Post
    But when the baby does in utero, they are no longer alive, their heart is no longer beating. They have already passed before the birth. A perfectly healthy baby that is 'terminated' needs to be assisted to make its heart stop beating. It hasn't died naturally, medically it is caused to die.
    Not true. Many times because the baby is so young and small it dies before birth or during because its body cannot handle the trauma. Also, because their lungs are not developed enough, if they are alive immediately after birth they die almost immediately because they can't breath and dr's will not try and assist/resuscitate them until 24 weeks. If a baby is alive after a medically necessary termination the parents usually hold them until they pass on their own which is usually fairly quick (and obviously distressing). Sorry for the TMI but I'm part of a few support groups of women who have lost their babies for various reasons (died in-utero, medical termination, pre-term labor/delivery). I also read many pregnancy loss books (stories from women who have lost) in an effort to feel less alone.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 28-04-2013 at 21:14.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (29-04-2013),yvona  (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think anyone has said it's right to so

Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    This goes beyond morals. We're talking about the life of a beautiful little baby.

It's wrong. Choosing to end a life based on sex is wrong, no matter which way you look at it.
    It's wrong to you (and me) and the majority of people, but clearly not to some.

I agree with sassy, you're either pro-choice or you're not. Nobody is comfortable with abortion on either side of the fence.