+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Saying 'goodbye' to old house (3.5yr old)

Today ds stayed with my mum while moved all of our furniture out as we are moving. We are always talking to ds about our new house, but we will be living at grandmas for a little while first as it needs new floors.

He didn't really get to say 'bye' to the house this morning, his last memory is it full of our furniture.

Should i take him tomorrow and show him the empty house and explain how all our stuff is being moved to the new house, or just explain to him here at my mums that we won't be going 'home', just the new house?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would show him so he can see that it is the old house now. That's what we did with ds1 when he was younger and it helped him understand

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS copes better with moving if he sees the old place empty. It seems to give him some closure and he moves on very quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, this was exactly our situation two months ago. We had mentioned to DS (2.75years) that we were moving to grandmas whilst we built... He saw us packing but pretty much went to crèche one day, we moved whilst he was there and then he came home to Grandmas... For the first week he was quite unsettled and upset, and wanted to go home, and to his toys etc (despite all his toys being on the spare room, his toy room). So I took him back to show him it was empty and his toys werent there, etc, and he's not mentioned wanting to go home since and has been settled... It was like he needed some closure so I would definitely say do it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    I wouldn't worry. We moved when did was 4 and he was fine. As long as your family set up stays the same I think he will adjust just fine.

In saying that, all kids are different.
    I agree. DD1 was 3 when we moved the first time and showing her the old empty house really upset her. But she's the type of kid who needs to look forward not back as she tends to dwell. Really depends on your child's nature.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't think he'll care tbh.

I moved around a lot as a kid, and never felt the need to say bye to a house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We moved while the kids were at day care but we did take them back once it was empty. I'm not sure DD understood much as she was 2, but DS at 4 understood better that we had sold it to someone else so we had to say goodbye. Whether or not he really needed it I'm not sure but I did, really upset me selling out first home that had so many memories.