+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Antenatal screening blood test

I have just found out I am pregnant with my 3rd bub. I know dr's etc want you to have the screening bloods done, but do I really need to? Apart from the HCG levels, I know all other things they are wanting to test.

Reason for asking is DF is fifo and I have been feeling less than sub par and I can think of nothing more blergh worthy than dragging 2 small kids to the pathology place to have a blood test that really will only test for 1 thing we don't know 100%.

I have already had a dating scan as we had no idea how far I was.

(Please no judgey nasty posts. I'm not an idiot who doesn't want to do right for my baby, just a question as to the necessity) TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have a blood test with my last pregnancy, the only one I had was part of the NT scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will definitely have the NT bloods done (only for the scan really as I want pics lol)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Usually they will test your rubella immunity plus some vitamin levels eg vitamin D, iron etc as well as any other things that may have an impact on pregnancy such as liver function. They actually run quite a few tests it might be worth going just to be safe/peace of mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rubella I have never had immunity to. I have had a booster ever year for the last 8 years (my mum has had 15 boosters in her life and never had any immunity)

Vitamin d, iron, liver function I had tested a few months ago as I was always tired etc and was all fine. (Sorry I should have said that in my op) only thing they don't know is my HCG levels. I'm just not concerned with all the others especially the STI tests as I had that done just over a year ago when pregnant with my son. (Same partner for the last 5 years)

I just don't think it's necessary as like I said, it's only really HCG levels that we don't know. And scan showed a perfectly healthy and well sized bub. I am 11 weeks, so I think I should be ok and just have the nt test/scan.

I'm sure my ob will get up me for it if she feels I need to have it. Lol.