+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 6 month old sleeping too much?

How often and for how long do your babes sleep during the day

DS is 6 months old and I feel like he gets tired very quickly. He sleeps roughly 13 hours at night (asleep by 6:30 latest and is up between 7-8AM). After. He's woken up, had his bottle and a bit of play he's usually ready for a nap about 1-1/2 hours after waking up, and will then sleep anywhere from 2-4 hours (yesterday was 9-1!).

He very rarely can go longer than 2 hours before being very cranky. He's fairly active; rolls constantly, commando crawls, tries to actually crawl, etc.

Do I just have a baby who likes his sleep? He has baby friend who are 2 months younger than him and are awake for much longer periods of time. I worry that with all the sleep he's not eating enough (formula).

Thanks
    Reviews
    It also usually takes him about 20 minutes to wind down (gurgles, chats, giggles, grizzles sometimes) and puts himself to sleep with me lying next to him. He doesn't like being rocked anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds a lot like my DS, right down to the nighttime sleep schedule. He's 6.5 months, very active, and gets tired pretty quickly. He also does the wind down! It's pretty funny to listen to. What he doesn't do, however, is sleep for more than 1.5 hours during the day. He goes for 1-2 hours awake, sleeps for 30 mins - 1.5 hrs (rarely more than that) then starts the cycle again. Unless we're out and about or he's at daycare; he's awake for longer and just does not want to go to sleep, presumably because he doesn't want to miss anything! He can go for up to a 4 hours awake at daycare.

His cousin who is a few weeks younger, is a lot more placid and relaxed and stays awake for longer periods of time. I find myself comparing them a lot (what mother doesn't?) but at the end of the day, all babies are different.

Personally I'm not too worried. I figure if he's sleeping then he needs the sleep. DS is very active, an enthusiastic eater and he seems perfectly happy when he's awake. He's putting on weight, he's hitting milestones and our GP says he's a very healthy boy. As long as there's nothing wrong, I don't see the harm in a little bit of extra sleep.

Honestly, your post has made me feel so much better. At the back of my mind I've been wondering the same thing. It's nice to know that there's another baby out there like mine!
    Last edited by snowqu33n; 27-04-2013 at 13:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6.5 months old sleeps lots too. His wake time is usually 2 hours between naps and 3-4 hours between last nap and bed time. He goes to bed from between 8-9pm and usually wakes 7am. He has a dream feed between 9-11pm and usually takes a small bottle around 4am.

His naps total between 2.5 to 4 hours but nowadays he hardly gives me a 2h nap...1.5 hours is about the longest.

He is very active, alert and curious when awake...rolling everywhere and back-crawling. He eats and drinks well.

I am not worried about his sleep...he gets tired easily. My older boy was and is totally opposite...hardly needed to sleep and can last longer. Just different I guess.

Even adults...some sleep a lot but some not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little man was a sleeper too - he could only last 1.5-2hrs awake before he had to sleep again and slept 12-13hrs thru the night. He is nearly 2 now and only has one sleep a day - enjoy it!!!! My daughter is 5.5 months and is the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sounds very normal to me. DS would sleep 12 hours overnight and then take a nap every 2 hours. It didn't matter if he took a 3-4 hour nap, he'd be tired and would have to take a nap 2 hours later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All I can say is enjoy it!!!! You'll miss it hahahah