+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wwyd?

We have recently built a house, and we stupidly opted to have our timber flooring done through the builder. Usually it's the last thing they do, but my site supervisor went on holidays and during that period of time that he was away, the order was messed up and the floors went down and painting was done after the flooring, as well as other things.
    We discovered our beautiful floors were scratched. I'm not talking one or two scratches, but kind of 'pick an area and you will find 5 scratches in that area alone' scratches.
    We contacted the building company who arranged to have it re-varnished, telling us that we won't see the scratches.
    Unfortunately we can still see the scratches. They are still there, they are just varnished.

While we appreciate their attempts to fix it, we didn't pay 20k for floors that are scratched before we even have had a chance to live in the house!
    There was NO attempt made to protect the flooring from being scratched, not to mention the fact that they were laid a lot earlier than what they should have been. They just should not be scratched, not this badly!

FIL says we should be entitled to a refund of a percentage of the price we paid.
    DF and I are hesitant. We aren't happy that we got damaged goods, but paid full price (plus a mark up!) but not sure if we should go there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with your FIL. You have paid a lot of money for your floors and have not been given the quality you have paid for. They are obviously aware that what occurred is wrong and they have acknowledged this by arranging to have the floors revarnished. It hasn't worked and you're still not happy so I would pursue the issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely say something to builders, but I would want them replaced!

Have you got paperwork showing when they were supposed to be installed? Have you done final inspection/ handover of the house yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Why are you hesitant? You paid lots of money and they damaged your goods. Get them to fix it or pay for them to be fixed properly! You don't need to put up with shoddy floors

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post
    I would definitely say something to builders, but I would want them replaced!

Have you got paperwork showing when they were supposed to be installed? Have you done final inspection/ handover of the house yet?
    We don't have paperwork, but we have written evidence from some of their employees saying that they shouldn't have been laid so early, they should have been done last.
    We have had handover 3 days ago, but the floors were so dirty that we couldn't have had a proper look at them until we came back later that day and swept them to have a look. (Probably done on purpose because USUALLY they will clean the house effort handover?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Why are you hesitant? You paid lots of money and they damaged your goods. Get them to fix it or pay for them to be fixed properly! You don't need to put up with shoddy floors
    I guess because its just yet another thing on the list of things that we have to chase up. It's kind of like "is it worth bothering about?"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Call consumer affairs and find out exactly what your rights are.
    Then call the house company and tell them u spoke to consumer affairs and you are entitled to have the floors done again of that's what they say. Nothing like putting the words consumer affairs into a conversation with a crappy company!!
    We have just had to do this with a door shop who have been messing us around with chipped crappy doors since December. Now we have nice new doors in 3 days after I called and said what consumer affairs told me.

Do that so u have back up if things get bad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarity View Post
    We don't have paperwork, but we have written evidence from some of their employees saying that they shouldn't have been laid so early, they should have been done last.
    We have had handover 3 days ago, but the floors were so dirty that we couldn't have had a proper look at them until we came back later that day and swept them to have a look. (Probably done on purpose because USUALLY they will clean the house effort handover?)
    That is proof enough ring consumer affairs and they should give you more info but if you'be got photos of the scratches before and after there 'fixing' attempts you should get a refund as its not to the standard your paying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Um it's 20k so that makes it worth the hassle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellybel View Post
    Um it's 20k so that makes it worth the hassle!
    True that
    Thanks everyone, we will definitely be pursuing it. We have before photos so we will go get some after photos for comparison.
    It does look better, but the scratches are still visibly there, even if you can't feel them or they don't catch in the light/reflection on the floor, you can still see that there is a scratch.