+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wisdom teeth removal

I am getting a wisdom tooth removed in a few weeks. It is small, only about half the size of my molars and needs a filling, so have decided to get it removed in the chair.

I am BFing so won't be talking anything beforehand and will only be taking panadol afterwards.

Without scaring me too much, is it ridiculous to think I can do this? I have a big fear of dentists, but since meeting my current dentist I have dropped the happy gas and now comfortable getting work done with just the needle.

I feel comfortable with her removing the tooth, but have started second guessing myself. Any positive stories?

TeamAwesome is offline No one's perfect, but everyone can be awesome.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You'll quite possibly need more than Panadol I won't lie it hurt a lot you can take panadenine and use it in conjunction with ibuprofen

i had four out, 2 were impacted one was verge of I should have had surgery and took three separate trips to remove but I'm assuming yours is a much simpler to remove one.

So I'd really recommend arnica cream and st. john's wart/hypericum for rubbing along your jaw and arnica pillules or tablets for under your tongue to help with bruising and swelling and I didn't look too puffy or bruised within a couple is days most couldn't tell I'd had anything done. I used these in conjunction with ice packs and heat packs they helped me sleep. I was told normal food but could barely open my mouth a small amount of soup so just ate small amounts regularly.

Even if you don't think you'll need it get hold of some pandeine or something stronger as during the night when you can't get hold of something might be when you need it.

TeamAwesome is offline No one's perfect, but everyone can be awesome.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I should possibly note I BF my 30mo for the first three removed I stopped during my last one's removal process as the three trips for it took place over 2.5 weeks. I'd spoken to my GP about the pain relief side of things prior to it though so knew I how I could tag team the drugs safely.

I understand it's scary my dentist was great allowing me to stop as needed perhaps some rescue remedy might help you feel a bit calmer before it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had all 4 of mine out in the chair...weren't impacted though. I had local injected and played my touch football grandfinal 3 hours later. I was swollen the next day but no pain.
    My DH took my advice and also got one of his out in the chair...and 8 years later still swears at me about it as his was really painful....so I guess you'll not know until its done unfortunately.

Perhaps express and freeze as much as you can now so if it gets bad you can take pain relief and use ebm?
    Good luck

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi ,

I had my four removed while in the chair for the same reason as you. My bottom two were showing the start of decay because I was being lazy when brushing apparently and not reaching back far enough. I've never had any fillings so went with the dentist when they suggested removal.

Mine were straight all, all fully erupted and it took about 20 minutes. One of the roots broke off one and it took a little longer for them to remove that part but it was just more pressure and wriggling. A weird sensation but definitely not horrible. A dental nurse friend suggested wearing headphones with music to distract me but the dentist had the radio on so I focused on that.

As for pain, I took the first lot of painkillers they gave me but after that I was fine with two lots of panadol I think (was four years ago so it could have been one more or less dose). The stitches in the bottom two dissolved and I had no infection or dry socket.

The same day I had mine out a friends wife did too but under a GA (hers were no trouble ones but she didn't want to be awake). I had very minimal swelling and no bruising. She was swollen and bruised quite a bit. Of course I don't know for sure but I put that down to me being awake and such so they couldn't really be as rough as they might have been was I asleep.

Best of luck and I hope it all goes well for you .

Sam

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses. I have DD 6 month check up before the dentist so will chat to Dr about pain relief. I hadn't even thought about expressing etc. I was doing that for comfort but haven't needed to for so long, that I don't have any milk left in the freezer.

I'll look into the creams too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had two out and there's no way I could do just panadol, one I went to sleep for as it was bad the other I was awake for and got a local I think .

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one out when I was 6/7 months pregnant. I found the sound of it to be the worst, I recommend bringing headphones. I didn't find it painful, after the local wore off I didn't need anything else for the pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had all 4 out in hospital under general (day surgery) as they were impacting and the roots curling around the nerve (each tooth needed to be cut into 4 to pull it out) - so right at the other end of the severity scale to you. I was given panadeine afterwards, which I threw up, so just had panadol from then on. Codiene doesn't really agree with me anyhow even if I'd kept it down. I also hate mushy foods so was straight back onto normal foods too. I should not that this was before kids though, so I could rest as much as I needed.

A housemate had hers out the same way years later and the dentist gave her some ridiculous pain killers that just kept sending her to sleep. After losing 3 days of her life she tried not taking them and just had nurofen and was amazed that she was not in any where near as much pain as she'd been led to believe.

The best advice I got before I had mine done is the worst thing about getting your wisom teeth out is the horror stories people love to tell you before you get them done!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamAwesome View Post
    You'll quite possibly need more than Panadol I won't lie it hurt a lot you can take panadenine and use it in conjunction with ibuprofen

i had four out, 2 were impacted one was verge of I should have had surgery and took three separate trips to remove but I'm assuming yours is a much simpler to remove one.

So I'd really recommend arnica cream and st. john's wart/hypericum for rubbing along your jaw and arnica pillules or tablets for under your tongue to help with bruising and swelling and I didn't look too puffy or bruised within a couple is days most couldn't tell I'd had anything done. I used these in conjunction with ice packs and heat packs they helped me sleep. I was told normal food but could barely open my mouth a small amount of soup so just ate small amounts regularly.

Even if you don't think you'll need it get hold of some pandeine or something stronger as during the night when you can't get hold of something might be when you need it.
    I am having 3 out in hospital on Wednesday. The 4th one can't come out as it is too close to my nerve and I risk having numbness and tingling in my chin forever if that one comes out.

Can u pls tell me more about the amica cream etc.. I've never heard of this before but I'm a major wuss so I'll need all the drugs I can get!

Sorry to hijack OP.