+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default high risk NT scan result 7mm nucal fold

Hi,

I am 28 years old and 12+5 weeks pregnant due on the 4th November 2013. I got an unexpected result from my NT scan the other day. I had an extremely high nucal fold measurement of 7mm and a 2 vessel cord diagnosed. The bloods were inconclusive because one was high and the other low. All up this gave me a high risk of 1:29 for trisomy 21, 1:44 for trisomy 18 and 1:42 for trisomy 13.
    Everything else appeared normal, there was a nasal bone and everything else was marked as normal.

I have never had anything like this happen before, there was no family history at all so you can imagine how shocked I was. I am completely devastated and after seeing the obstetrician yesterday I feel things are even more bleak. She was not very optimistic and basically said with a reading so high it will be unlikely to be nothing at all.

I am booked for a CVS on Wednesday which will take 2 days for the main tests and then 2 weeks for the rest. It seems like such a long time to wait and worry. I have already lost 2kg since I found out Tuesday. Basically I am hoping to find others with similar readings and results to see what happened. I am just hoping there has been some people out there with better luck than the bleak view I was given? Please help, I am sending myself crazy with worry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi. I haven't had this happen but just wanted to send massive hugS. There are many different people on this forum who have been in situations similar to yours that I'm sure will share their story.
    I know you Probably don't feel like it but try to still eat a little a couple of times a day, regardless of the outcome and your decision you need to have energy and so does bubs.
    Please keep us posted with how you go this forum will offer lots of support.
    Take care

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SageS For This Useful Post:

lilseads  (27-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks SageS,

Yeah thank you. The unfortunate thing is I am a midwife so I know the reality of all possibilities. I think in this case knowing too much isn't exactly helpful. So today I have to go to work and help look after women who have had health happy babies. I have chosen to do this rather than sitting at home feeling sick and sorry for myself. Its really hard to remain optimistic when I know the realities

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't have much advice but just wanted to say hugs I don't know much about results but I have read people with similar results from ultrasound get further results that look a lot better.
    Also 2 vessel cord is what you want to see, 1 vessel cord you don't

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh that would be so tough, sometimes keeping busy is helpful. Just make sure you are kind to yourself. And feel free to keep posting how you are going. Hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My friend was 1:3 and her bubba was perfect. Even odds of 1:3 means the baby is more likely to be healthy than not. Your odds are way better than that. It's always horrible hearing there may be something wrong with your perfect baby but its a huge MAYBE. Your ob is horrible for stressing you so much.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (02-05-2013)

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have a comforting story. But sending you lots of hugs. My odds were 1:2 for T18 and 1:10 for T21 so keep your chin up. There's a very very good chance you baby is fine

My cousin had a 7mm fold and he's fine, he's a clever 12 year old boy

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allymumtobe For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (02-05-2013),lilseads  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your support guys. Kelly8329 normally they have a 3 vessel cord and 2 vessel is a soft marker for abnormalities and heart defects. Allymumtobe I am sorry to hear your story but I do find much comfort from that of your cousin. I can only hope that I am on the lucky side. I will continue to keep you up to date on my progress. I am going to have a reading with a psychic at 10am today! I don't know if that's going to be a good thing or a bad thing. Anyway I won't take that over the test results obviously but hopefully I get some clarity from it?

So Wednesday morning is the big day... then the real waiting begins. Your support means a lot. Please keep your fingers and toes crossed for us!!!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just wanted to wish you good luck for the tests. Hope it all works out fine for you both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I had my CVS yesterday. Get the FISH results tomorrow and final results in 2 weeks. Please keep everything crossed for us xxx