+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1yr: formula vs cows milk

Hi
    Please tell me what you give your 1year old bubba? I see they make formula for older babies to but which is best? Cows milk or formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    1 was right when we switched out formula. Reason we waiting was we were traveling at the time and wanted him to have some regularity and waited til we got home to do the switch. After a month he never had a bottle again....

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was bf til 13 months but I introduced cows milk at 10 months. I would water it down to start with. Then I weaned him straight onto cows milk. He never once in his life had formula. It smells gross and seemed pointless at an age when he was eating well. My second is exclusively formula fed but I plan to introduce cows milk from 10 months again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fed my firat til 15months and then cows milk. Currently my second child turned 1 last week and my Dr has since informed me that they shouldnt have cows milk until the age of 2 now and that Formula should be supplemented if I stop Breastfeeding. Which I wont be doing! He has being getting all his nutrients through my milk and what I eat which is what he also eats now himself. I say its personal choice what youd like to do. :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My children have formula until they turn 2. It is reassuring if they are teething or unwell to know that they are having these extra nutrients when they are not eating as well as I like. I always bought the gold formula too as I think omega 3's are important and sometimes it's hard to get a 1 yr old to have a good dietary intake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 went from formula to cows milk at ten months on the recomendation of my mhcn. He was a big bubba and made the transition well. DS2 is five months and i hope to do the same. He already loves solids and is not too keen on his formula bottles. Every situation is different, just do what you think is best

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't forget cows milk is not a formula substitute its just a drink - so as pp said it depends how your baby eats - if you think all his nutrients come from food. ( vitamins/minerals/fat/protein/carbs) then you can drop the formula - my DS stayed on his stage 2 formula until about 18 months ( from 14 months only had 50- 100ml at night before bed and that was more habit!) I gave him toddler formula a few times at night but by that stage he wasn't interested -

just be careful with cows milk if you do give it as a drink as too much can fill them up ( and they won't eat as much solids) and also cows milk hinders iron absorption so try not to give with meals

The daily recommended dairy intake for over 12 months is 1-1 half serves which is only 1 cup of milk and half a tub of yogurt a day, my DS has never had cows milk as a drink but has had A2 milk on cereal / smoothies etc ( almond and quinoa milk we also use)
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 27-04-2013 at 10:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't comfortable weaning DS off the boob before 2 years so if he were formula fed I would have given formula until 2 as well I think. Cows milk doesn't hydrate them....the only time DS gets cows milk now is in his cereal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Toddler formula for us. It is more complete nutrition and DD was always small, so a bit of supplement feeding worked well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I switched DD from formula to cows milk at exactly 12mths, and that worked fine for her.