+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week

Default Ideas please.

DS is 9 next weekend and I really have no idea what to get him.

Dh and I just can't decide on what to get him. The only thing we've agreed on is that it won't be electronic (because DS has a very unhealthy addiction to gaming that we're trying to break) and he's not into traditional sports so no basketballs hoops, soccer nets, cricket bats or tennis rackets.

He has a bike, a trampoline, he doesn't read much any more and I'm a little over buying Trashies that get lost or broken on the same day. The only things he's really into are all computer game type things and it even feels like a cop out buying merchendise from them.

Any ideas would be great.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Would he use a ramp for his bike/scooter/skateboard?
    Fishing stuff and take him fishing?

My DS will be 9 this year and we are thinking of making over his room for a present. New bed, proper desk etc. ...make it a bit more grown up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Books?

Something creative or sciencey??

An experience, like a red balloon thing or a zoo experience? Melbourne Zoo has some cool experiences if you are in Vic http://www.zoo.org.au/melbourne/wild-encounters

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Kite? Remote control truck or helicopter or something along the lines of those?

Pass to the Zoo or Seaworld or similar?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    One of those science lab kits? Something he can use to (safely!) explode stuff?
    An experience of some kind, like a helicopter ride
    A low low maintenance pet if he's responsible, like a hermit crab.
    Star Wars Lego?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, if he likes gaming, what about board/card games that are played socially, like magic the gathering or warhammer. I always see boys his age playing at our local games workshop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I'd love to get him a new bed but DH hasn't agreed on that one for some time now. Sucks because Ds has never actually had a new bed.

He's only just riding his bike without training wheels so not really up to ramp stage yet. He's a bit of a fraidy cat too. And he already has fishing stuff, not that it gets used at all.

There is a zoo near us (I think lol) so that might be an idea for something to do on the day seeing as the party isn't happening. Books, if I can get him interested, I'm looking at the Diary of a Whimpy Kids series.

I would so love to get him things like meccano, k'nex, big lego sets and the likes but he just seems to show no interest in that sort of stuff anymore. All he cares about is gaming and even restricting his gaming time doesn't seem to be taking his mind of it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Warhammer!!! DH would absolutely love it if we got him into it! DH used to paint all the figures and make his own terrain. Bit pricey but might be an idea.

My older brothers had a 201 in 1 electronics kit and i used to love mucking around with that. We tried to find one at xmas time. Might have to check out Australian Geographic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Well I think I've convinced DH on the bed idea. I asked Ds about it this morning and he's loving it because his current bed is hurting his back (love how he doesn't tell us these sort of things). We're going looking at Amart and Fantastic Furniture tomorrow but if they don't work out as good value we're looking at one at Ikea. We'll either hire a ute to go pick it up or pay the $100 to get it delivered here.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    Well I think I've convinced DH on the bed idea. I asked Ds about it this morning and he's loving it because his current bed is hurting his back (love how he doesn't tell us these sort of things). We're going looking at Amart and Fantastic Furniture tomorrow but if they don't work out as good value we're looking at one at Ikea. We'll either hire a ute to go pick it up or pay the $100 to get it delivered here.
    How about a new bedspread to go along with the bed? Something for him to open on his birthday. Or take him shopping on his birthday and let him choose his own. We took DS to pick his own last week..............he chose a "Mambo" one with the dog farting music notes