+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 14 month old scared of the bathtub

Hi everyone!

My 14 month old girl used to love bath time since birth. It was the best part of the day and also part of our bedtime routine. She used to jump up and down when I would fill the bathtub and try to take off her clothes on her own.

Three days ago she didn't want to get out of the bathtub, so I took out the plug for the first time in front of her and she got scared. Yesterday I put her in the water and she started crying, so I had to take her out. Today she started crying as soon as I started to fill the bathtub.

I don't know what to do. It breaks my heart and I am also so angry with myself...

Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do to make her feel safe and happy at bath time again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My little one got spooked by the sound of the bath plug being pulled out and therefore was starting to freak a little when it was time to put her in the bath, so we got some food dye and made her water 'pink' and made a big fuss of her 'pretty water' and soon she forgot all about the plug.

Another thing we used to do with her (provided your child doesn't have any issues with soaps etc) was go to Lush and buy the bath bombs and put those in the bath so she could watch the water 'fizz' and change colour before she entered the bath which worked as well and we haven't had any issues since.

I tend to now get the kids out and take the plug out afterwards as the noise is quite loud in the bath we have now.

Good luck, I hope your little girl goes back to liking bath time again.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 26-04-2013 at 22:08.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Other than maybe new bath toys or bubbles how about getting in the bath with her? I think it's quite common that toddlers get scared when they first hear the gurgle of the water going down the drain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was also going to suggest getting in the bath with her, at least until she gets her confidence back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We just went through this with DS.

In the end, I hopped in the bath myself, with no pressure on him to join me. He kept poking his head around the door to see what I was doing, but I just chatted to him calmly. Then I got out a bubble blower and started blowing bubbles. He was so keen on playing he forgot his fear and eventually wanted in. Now he loves his bath again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bressar View Post
    I was also going to suggest getting in the bath with her, at least until she gets her confidence back.
    We did this when DS developed a bath fear. Took a few nights and she was back to normal

Thanks
    Reviews
    It happened to dS around the same age for a few months! I had to try different thing, shower, toys, bathing with him, finally I decided to cuddle him in the bath tub and slowly let him go over the next few days. It's a phase. Apparently it's very common and they actually think they will be flushed down the drain like water!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happened to us too she ended up not bathing for nearly 2 months just flannel was her hair was shocking though lol

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you very much for all the replies!!!

I didn't know it was common. I tried to bath her again tonight, but she started crying again.. I will try to get in the bath with her. And get new bath toys as a bonus. I really hope it will work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For us it was a bit of separation anxiety and she would freak if I turned around to get a towel etc. That's why me getting in with her really did the trick. I just got in with her for a couple days and then got out slowly while still touching her hand for a few days. progressive steps. Good luck!