+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think he is eating well at home, especially if you say he eats a lot of junk at other people's houses - I would probably suggest adding a yogurt to his meal plan ( get one with a pro biotic) or even making a yogurt smoothie for afternoon tea with berries and spinach plus I would lose the jam (too much sugar) and vegemite ( way to much salt and msg) and try avocado , almond or peanut butter ( buy 100% nuts) or cottage cheese or tuna or hummus as spreads for whole meal toast or rice cakes, swap the dried apricots for goji berries (more nutritious less sugar) add chia seeds ( protein/iron) to pizza bases, eggs, meatballs, breadcrumb mix and smoothies , try quinoa instead of rice. ( very high in protein/ iron)

As you mentioned add spinach or kale to his eggs, add spinach or rocket on sandwiches , I put peas or spinach in any rice or pasta dish , same with fresh herbs ( just as nutritious as green veggies!) add spinach to homemade breadcrumbs for snitzels etc, keep trying raw veggie sticks ( capsicum/ carrot/celery/beans ) with tzatziki or guacamole , DS loves raw peas , we peel them together but end up with none as we eat them all!

I'm very lucky as DS eats all veggies ( except potato and sweet potato which he has never liked!) but from 6 months I made a bowl of steamed veg a staple at every dinner meal that we all eat together so it's more a habit I think now ( I always add olive or coconut or flax seed oil to the veg) plus I believe in packing as much nutrients into a meal while you can , I don't hide veggies I just pretty much put them in everything and ways have so even a cheese toasted sand which has always contained spinach and he has never had eggs that didn't contain fresh herbs or rice that didn't have peas or spinach in it , we don't have junk food in the house , unless we have guests we may have chips or chocolate and I make muffins or desserts maybe twice a week , he drinks only water at home but has plain mineral water when we go out and the odd fresh carrot and apple juice if we are at a shopping centre

Today he had:

Brekky - 2 egg pancake with fresh basil , feta and tomato and a pear
    Mt- big tub of yogurt
    Lunch- mini brioche bun with chicken, swiss cheese, avocado and rocket ( we were out for lunch !) and scoop of pineapple sorbet and plain mineral water
    At- 2 brown rice cakes with avocado and an apple
    Dinner - Grilled sweet chili salmon with steamed broccoli, carrot and corn
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 26-04-2013 at 23:36.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (29-04-2013)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah, definitely bulk cooking and things that are easy to defrost and prepare. I cook large amounts and just open the fridge and pick and choose

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds good to me! I used to worry so much about DS' food intake that I never let him eat junk. Now he is such a good eater that I don't really mind him having a few lollies or a bit of junk food at my parents house

Typical day:

Weet-bix for breaky
    Promite or peanut butter on toast for morning tea
    Cheese and veggie filled ravioli for lunch
    Lots of fruit for afternoon tea
    Meat and veg for dinner (eg. salmon and sweet potato wedges)
    Home made yoghurt just before bed

6. The Following User Says Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thank you all! I was so inspired over the weekend I did a massive cook up, and i am all prepared with yummy healthy snacks jam packed in the freezer! I made:

-Sweet potato chips (massive fail, lol. I think I cut them too thickly, they wouldn't go crunchy no matter how long they were in the oven)
    -meatballs (packed with veggies)
    -chicken nuggets (ditto)
    -veggie samosas

And gave DP a lecture about junk food on the weekend. That didn't go down so well I basically told him if he doesn't want to deal with DS having tantrums about not getting what daddy has, the answer isn't to give him some, it's to not eat junk in front of him.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

babyla  (29-04-2013),Cue  (29-04-2013),Elijahs Mum  (29-04-2013),Pregnor  (29-04-2013),risfaerie  (29-04-2013)