+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Thanks guys, some great ideas here. As I said, he's happy to eat cooked veg, but i find it difficult to manage anything much more than a sandwich for lunch atm, I don't have time to cook him something and then sit him down at the table and get him to eat it. We try to go out in the mornings and by the time we get home DD is due a nap, so i usually have to plonk him in front of the tv and throw a sandwich at him before I deal with her. But i think i might start trying to make him more veggie based snacks and finger food type things that he can eat for lunch.
    I often make meatballs in a large batch and freeze them. My meatballs are about 50% meat, 50% veg, and DD actually really likes them, as does DS. I also recently found a recipe for hidden veg sausage rolls that I am going to make up and freeze for quick lunches for the kids. I find it quicker to grab and reheat a couple of meatballs in the microwave than to make her a sandwich, it just means I have to remind myself to actually cook them in the first place.

Does you DS like corn? I make baked potatoes with tuna,cheese and corn, it can all be made in advance and then just chucked under a grill. DD LOVES them, it is a favourite standby meal in this house.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think your Ds's diet is pretty damn good. Very little processed food in there....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (26-04-2013),risfaerie  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    You could do a big zucchini slice, freeze it and give that for lunch when you get home.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Seriously I think your doing well your little ones diet looks very much like my kidlets. Maybe try getting dp and mil to curb the treat a little but otherwise I think that's pretty good.

Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away
    Last edited by MonsterMoosMum; 26-04-2013 at 20:48.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I make in batches and freeze:
    - meatballs with grated carrot/zucchini
    - carrot/zucchini slice
    - meatloaf with loads of veg like broc, sweet potato, carrot, zucchini, potato, capsicum, basically anything
    - chicken patties with grated carrot/zucchini
    - fish patties with hidden veg
    - muffins with veg

I've only just started having to do the hidden thing, I was getting cocky with the thought of not having a fussy eater

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Here is a recipe you may like FL.

Dry ingredients:
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 cup wholemeal flour
    7/8 cup plain flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda

Wet ingredients:
    200mL low fat soy milk
    2 tsp apple cider vinegar
    100mL vegetable oil (I use the stuff from the jar of sun dried tomatoes for extra flavour)

Other ingredients:
    2 zucchini, grated - about 1 3/4 cups
    8 large basil leaves, shredded
    2 TB (40mL) water, or as needed
    oil spray

Directions
    1. Heat oven to 190 and spray a 12-hole, half cup muffin tin with oil spray (or line with liners)
    2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
    3. Combine wet ingredeints in a jug.
    4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until partly combined (still streaky with flour is OK). Add the 2TB water (or more) if it's too dry. Do not mix excessively or the muffins will be tough.
    5. Add the zucchini and basil and fold through - it should now look combined.
    6. Spoon into muffin trays and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden. Remove from trays promptly and allow to cool on a wire rack.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (26-04-2013),risfaerie  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think your DS is doing great. I find veggie muffins and spinach and cheese scrolls in the freezer are great, also I make some cupcakes out of cannellini beans and cashews which I freeze. DS is dairy free at the moment though which is hard.

Today he had:
    Breakfast - banana smoothie (banana and oat milk), some maple crunch cereal and half a piece of toast with peanut butter and jam.
    MT - Anzac biscuit and a "mum mum" snack (looked like some sort of rice cracker, a friend brought them over)
    Lunch - rice cake and peanut butter, bliss ball, cucumber, snow peas, grapes. Then eggs on toast an hour later.
    AT - diluted juice (my dad gave him - I only do oat milk or water) and a couple of strawberries.
    Dinner - half a pie DH brought home, then teriyaki chicken, rice, and cabbage and noodle salad with the family about 7pm (late dinner).

Probably too much sugar, oh well.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have been making green smoothies for my kids which they love, call it shrek juice and it will be a hit big handfuls of english spinach with half a cucumber and a handful of frozen grapes/pineapple made with coconut water. Loaded with goodness! I make it for when we are going out in the car usually

And another thing to try is a kitchen gadget thing that makes carrot spaghetti or zucchini zoodles. If I have time I serve a sarnie with a side of raw veggie like that and for some reason the presentation makes a difference!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bambibambino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    ^ That's a great idea! Will have to do that for my kiddies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Today my ds (4 in June) ate:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with mushrooms, baked beans, an orange

MT: yoghurt, home made Anzac biscuit

Lunch: sweet potato chips (home made), ham, peanut butter on celery, some vita wheat crackers with dip - it was a bit of a smorgasbord today.

AT: berry smoothie, an apple, 2 pikelets

Dinner: plate of steamed veg (asparagus, broccoli, carrot, zucchini), then brown rice and grilled salmon

I haven't read the other replies yet, so unsure what has been suggested yet. I always have ds eat his veg portion of dinner first, before he gets the rest on his plate. If not, he won't eat it and tells me he isn't hungry anymore. Have you tried steaming the hard veggies to make them a little softer initially? And gradually changing the texture over time?

I do think your ds has a good diet. My ds probably ate more veg today than he does on an average day, and he has 'treats' most days, too. I worry as well, though. It is hard to know if they are getting the right portions of all the good stuff.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post: