+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks guys, some great ideas here. As I said, he's happy to eat cooked veg, but i find it difficult to manage anything much more than a sandwich for lunch atm, I don't have time to cook him something and then sit him down at the table and get him to eat it. We try to go out in the mornings and by the time we get home DD is due a nap, so i usually have to plonk him in front of the tv and throw a sandwich at him before I deal with her. But i think i might start trying to make him more veggie based snacks and finger food type things that he can eat for lunch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I certainly don't think it's a bad diet... but maybe more fresh fruit and veg and a little more protein?

It's only a one day sampling though so other days could be way better!

I totally add veges to everything I can too - it's DP I hide them from, not DD. lol. But if you can grate it, it usually works well. Zucchini, carrot and onion are my staple veges... but you can also finely dice mushrooms, grate some broccoli, celery, capsicum, pumpkin, shred some baby spinach leaves, cabbage, kale etc. All of that can be easily added to rissoles, casseroles, one-dish style dinners etc.

Would he give veges a go if you, say, made a cool dip together (just do most of it and get him to add some small part and mix or whatever) and got him to use vege sticks in there?

I have an unfussy kid so I totally suck for ideas... but it's worth a shot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about dairy? Some natural yoghurt with puréed apple would be good for afternoon tea. If it were me, I would cut out the honey, jam and vegemite due to sugar and msg contents. What about omelette with ham and cheese or chicken for more protein?
    Veggie muffins and grated veggies in bolognase works well here, or mashed veggies coated in rice flour and cooked like piklets are yummy too.
    I think you are doing great, they are just some ideas that work for us.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Thanks guys, some great ideas here. As I said, he's happy to eat cooked veg, but i find it difficult to manage anything much more than a sandwich for lunch atm, I don't have time to cook him something and then sit him down at the table and get him to eat it. We try to go out in the mornings and by the time we get home DD is due a nap, so i usually have to plonk him in front of the tv and throw a sandwich at him before I deal with her. But i think i might start trying to make him more veggie based snacks and finger food type things that he can eat for lunch.
    I think it's easy for me at the moment as I only have DD, I'm sure I'll have to make some compromises if/when we have another one! It sounds like batch cooking would be good for you - try some scroll recipes, you can get veggies in those and they freeze well.

I wouldn't worry too much though if he eats a good amount of cooked veg at dinner. It sounds like your biggest challenge is stopping the naughty snacks from your DP & MIL!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly FL, I think you're doing fine with your DS diet. Most importantly you are aware of it

Have fun with your giant sweet potato, made into chips it is delicious!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No not blind Cue, I forgot to say he's 3

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the replies but here is what's DS eats, this is what he had today

BF: 2 weetbix with milk and a cut up banana (he eats all fruit so on other days I give him cut up grapes, pears, peaches, nectarine etc with his weetbix)

Morning tea - he ate an apple (whole)

Lunch - cut up cherry tomatoes, cut up cucumber, cheese, some pieces of chicken breast, cut up orange & some rice crackers

AT: handful of grapes, yoghurt

Dinner: some chicken breast, broccoli, zuchinni, potato and a bit of cheesy mushroom sauce on the potato.

He only drinks water, with the occasional glass of milk, and if its a rally hot day or for a treat, I give him 100% pure juice but mixed with water (80% water 20% juice)

I realise I'm lucky having a DS who eats so well, that's why we also don't give him ANY junk food.

He's of course tasted a few chips here and there and he's had a couple of TINY Easter eggs but its definitely not on a regular basis.

He is two so I'm enjoying this good eating while I can and taking full advantage of feeding him lots of good stuff

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, as long as your son is well hydrated and getting enough fibre and some form of vegies/fruit etc, then I think his diet seems pretty typical.

My kids thankfully aren't too fussy, however the best thing I have found with my little ones when they're going through the vegie aversion etc stage is to make 'platters' and 'Bento Box' type foods. Anything that is aesthetically pleasing to their eyes works a treat. The things I make them for the 'Bento' lunches are so easy to prepare ahead of time and left in the fridge so they can snack on it or have a lunch etc.

Things I make for their 'Bento Box' lunches are rice balls with tuna inside or leftover meats from dinner. The rice can either be plain or rolled in sesame seeds which they love. I have some moulds in the shapes of various things such as stars, hearts, car shapes etc and I make them boiled eggs in those shapes which again is a big hit. I use cutters to make ham and cheese into cute shapes as well. Carrot sticks, celery sticks, little sandwiches cut into shapes. You don't have to have shapes etc, but if I have the time I like to make their boxes a bit novel for them.

The platters I make the kids are not unlike an ante pasto platter usually consist of olives, fresh meats, smoked salmon, cheese, pickles, olives, pickled onions, marinated artichokes, grissini sticks, bread, carrot, celery sticks, dips (hommus, tzatziki), steamed vegies, fruits, basically whatever I have on hand. Having such an array makes them not focus solely on the 'vegie' aspect of things. Awesome when we're out and about and busy and I can't be bothered with them wasting a sandwich or wanting to prepare anything too time consuming. Platters can stay in the fridge and be eaten for luch or snacked on throughout the day.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was also going to suggest savoury muffins or muffin-size quiches with veg in them. I've seen quiches made by using a slice of bread, crusts off, pushed into the muffin pan as the crust and then filled. These are things you could make a big batch of and freeze then just chuck in the microwave at lunch time. Zucchini and orange muffins are yum too!

DD was always pretty good with cooked veg, the odd phase where she'd go off them but nothing lasting, however salad was a different story. She started having carrot/cucumber sticks with dip first (skin off the cucumber for a while I think) but to get her to eat lettuce or tomato I... ok start flaming me now... covered it in honey. It didn't take long before I could cut the honey right back, then leave it off completely. Now, at 5, she looooooves salad!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I try to keep some dinner leftovers aside for DS for lunch the next day so I don't know if that would be an easy option for you. I also keep some easy snacks/ meals in the freezer for daycare/work or lazy days. Things that I freeze are; homemade sausage rolls loaded with veges, zucchini slice, pizza scrolls, vege muffins etc. I also usually keep some filled vege and ricotta ravioli in the the freezer which I can quickly pull out. Both kids love that pasta served with baked beans, very easy and still healthy.

I also hide whatever veges I can in my dinners because both kids are pretty fussy when it comes to veges so using leftovers for lunch means DS eats veges in some form for two meals a day plus it's also really easy.
    DD is at school and usually has a wrap or sandwich for lunch.

Otherwise pretty similar here for meals/snacks. Drinks are usually water or milk with the very occasional watered down juice.

Breakfast is either weetbix, rice bubbles, porridge, toast, fruit, yoghurt, pancakes or eggs.

Usual snacks are ;whatever fruit they like at the time( they both go through stages); yoghurt; cheesesticks; rice crackers; popcorn cooked with a little olive oil and salt.

Treat snacks or dessert (usually once a day) are home made baked goods (cake, slice, biscuits), jelly and fruit, yoghurt ice blocks or store bought plain biscuits like milk arrowroots etc or muesli bars. With homemade biscuits I always freeze some dough to save for lazy days/easy after school snacks.

Both kids also get icecream or chocolate or the like on occasion and they definitely also enjoy their grandma treats!!
    Last edited by DailyDiversion; 26-04-2013 at 21:04.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post: