+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Honestly- do you think this is a decent diet?

So i know this thread comes up all the time, but i constantly fret about DS's diet today was a fairly typical day, and this is what he ate:

Breakfast: porridge with a drizzle of honey and 1/2 a banana
    MT: slice of toast with jam
    Lunch: another slice of toast with a scrambled egg, a small bowl of rockmelon
    AT: a few dried apricots and a homemade anzac biscuit, and 2 rice crackers
    Dinner: pasta with cheesy tuna and spinach sauce.
    He gets a marshmallow after dinner if he eats all his dinner.

He eats fairly well, but I struggle getting veggies in him at any other time but at dinner. He doesn't like raw veggies at all, so unless I make him a cooked lunch or he gets one at child care, it's pretty much just veggies at dinner. He will eat almost any vegetable if it's cooked, so I try to pack them in to dinner.

But he has been known to go a few days with barely a vegetable passing his lips, and he probably eats more junk than he should. Everyone gives him junk food- MIL and DP are the worst culprits, DP is constantly giving him sugary drinks and chips on the weekend when he has them. He is at MIL's on Tuesdays and eats hot chips, juice, iceypoles, lollipops, etc etc. He eats homemade treats probably close to every day- I try to make them healthier by adding fruit or veg in things, using less sugar and using vegan recipes that don't use dairy. At the moment we have anzac biscuits and chocolate zuchinni mini cupcakes made with oil instead of butter and eggs. And on mondays we have a cupcake at a local cafe after kinder (he doesn't get a treat at home those days).

So tell me honestly what your kids eat (not just what you serve them, what they actually eat!) And whether you think my DS eats too much rubbish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Um what your DS ate today is great. My girls are also given to much rubbish food from DP and family. They like to spoil them.

Today my girls ate:
    Breakfast- hot chocolate and bowl of porridge
    MT- grapes, watermelon, cheese snack and a packet of mini Oreos (we were at the park so they were really hungry)
    Lunch- vegemite toast
    AT- they slept through it
    Dinner- chicken schnitzel and salad.

My 2 yo is very hard to get vegetables into. I made home made chips the other night and used some sweet potato as well, she didn't fall for it.

I've stopped stressing about the vegetables because realistically, if she won't eat them I can't force her.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could you possibly substitute some of the sugar loaded snacks for something else?
    Eg. Jam for peanut butter, dried apricots for celery/carrot/cucumber sticks with hommus and rock melon for a fruit lower in sugar like pears?
    I know it's 'natural sugar' but it's still fructose and will cause insulin spikes. Is there some way you can make veggies fun? Make them into shapes and stuff? A friend of mine has all these fun little shaped 'corn cob spikes', kid safe obviously! She can put ANYTHING on them and it gets eaten! Pinterest has some great ideas to make veggies fun and appealing best of luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ponytail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds pretty good to me
    And grandparents are there to spoil grandkids and for us to scowl at when they feed our kids teeth rotting food
    My kids eat either porridge / nutri grain/ toast / eggs for brekkie
    MT - either yoghurt and sultanas/fresh pop corn/carrot and dip/rice crackers
    Lunch - usually always a sandwich but can have 2min noodles/sushi/hotdog/eggs
    AT - either crackers and dip/fruit salad/ home made carrot-banana or mixed berry muffin and a cup of milo
    Dinner - always healthy as I am a clean eater so they eat what I eat. Packed with hidden veggies and pizza once a month.
    Only water in our house
    My kids are 7,5 and 2.5

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    He really won't eat raw veggies, never has. He won't eat hard fruits raw, either, so apples and pears, no dice. He loves all melons, grapes, kiwi fruit and bananas.berries he'll have in smoothies. Occasionally eats mandarins.

On toast he only really likes jam or vegemite. I sort of don't know whether the salt content in vegemite, or the sugar content in jam is worse.

He does eat a lot of sweet things, doesn't he?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hide them in everything DS won't touch veges cooked or raw otherwise. I do big batches of veggie omelets, pikelets and muffins and freeze them, I also make veggie sauce which he has with dinner most nights either on pizza or pasta. I've also been giving him v8 juice (vegetable only ones) and he loves them and I use a potato peeler and peel whole veggies so there really thin and bake them so they are like potato chips (favourites veggie chips here are carrot, potato, pumpkin, beetroot, swede and sweet potato)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashley595 For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (26-04-2013),smallpotatoes  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I love the veggie chips idea. I have the world's biggest sweet potato in the pantry (seriously it's as big as a football, lol) so i now know what I'll do with it.

He also eats puffed corn, and is happy to eat legumes. He used to eat chickpeas as a snack but not any more.

I only let him drink water, and milk with dinner. And occasionally we have tea parties and he'll have some herbal tea. But between MIL and DP he gets plenty of juice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Today DS ate:

Brekky: 2 slices of peanut butter toast and a banana

MT: slice of cheese, bits of a piece of apple - most went on the floor and a sippy cup of oat milk

Lunch: pasta with zucchini, carrot and bacon - he left most of the veggies

AT: can't remember

Tea: chicken pattie x2 with hidden zucchini, carrot and onion and 1/4 cup of peas which he ate most of

Oat milk before bed.

I've also started struggling with the veggie intake, he used to eat everything!

Honestly... regarding your DS food I reckon the sugary drinks, lollies etc are better when they are a treat, which is rarely not weekly. The least amount of sugar the better, a good friend on mine is a dentist and she has just recently told me that in the toddler years sugar is definitely no good, especially when it's regular and they're not expert teeth brushers.

FWIW my dad has this obsession with giving my DS sugary food, does my head in but I think it's a generational thing for us.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is not big on raw veg and the only fruit she will eat is apples, bananas and the very occasional slice of watermelon. She has a banana with her breakfast every morning, and an apple for afternoon tea or morning tea pretty well every day. She also will eat just about any veg cooked, so I pack them into everything. I also grate zucchini through just about everything you could imagine: scrambled eggs, meatballs, any stew type food, I even grate it and put it under the cheese on grilled cheese melts! I also generally use avocado instead of butter on a lot of things. We call it green butter, and it is surprisingly tasty on a vegemite cheese sandwich. I generally don't buy white bread, instead I get the grainiest bread I can find, normally a 9-grain or similar from the bakery, I figure the more wholegrains etc I can pack into her the better!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks risfaerie, the grated zuchinni is a great idea I often chuck a handful of spinach into his scrambled eggs, but i forgot today. But i think i will grate some zuchinni and leave it in some tupperware in the fridge to put in stuff.