Closed Thread
Page 94 of 100 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah ok so as a guide, due date is 38 weeks from ET?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Egg Donation in Greece

Quote Originally Posted by Chillout71 View Post
    Ah ok so as a guide, due date is 38 weeks from ET?
    Yep :-). Well, roughly because your ET might occur later than Day 14 of your cycle ... But there are online calculators where you can enter your ET date etc and it gives your due date.
    Last edited by Vixjc; 05-06-2015 at 18:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI @justcantstop
    YAY! we might end up being there at the same time!
    Happy to share my dets - LOL!
    I'm 46 (still can't believe it!), I had my gorgeous son 4 days before my 40th birthday - literally walked out of hospital on my 40th birthday with my 4 day old son, very surreal! I had a 12.5 week miscarriage 6 months before falling pregnant with my son but really no no issues apart from just the normal egg meets sperm timing thing and had a dream pregnancy!
    So fast forward 2 years and we were still trying for number 2 when my first FS told me point blank that it was a miracle that I even had my son and that based on my test results I was menopausal and had ZERO eggs left!!!!!!

It was truly the worst moment of my life and completely and totally unexpected, I remember asking her if we should try ivf and she said it wasn't an option that I needed DE.

I was almost 43 at that point and we knew nothing about DE and the only option I could see in Australia was to use TWB which is $30k+ and the success rate was poor or to find someone we knew.

Long story but we then spent the next 12mths being approved to adopt locally, were approved only to be told 18mths later that really we were too old to be considered for a child under 3yrs!!!! (the case worker referred to us as a used car!) even though at the time we had a 4 1/2 yr old!

At that point I had a coffee with a friend of mine (same age) and she told me she was pregnant and used a Donor egg, she told me suspecting that I needed to know - LOL!

I bounced around a few of the Australian Egg donor forums and groups and then found this wonderful, amazing thread barley 2 months ago. so wish I had found it 4 years ago.

HAHA - I've gone completely off track- LOL! so to specifically answer your Q - zero period for the last 2 years, late, then missing and infrequent for the yr prior, I've been on a very mild HRT to manage hideous menopause symptoms and to avoid brittle bones etc because I'm about 10yrs too early for complete menopause.

Dr K has me on MICROGYNON 30 and I have progynova ready to go, but that all so far. My first period started 2 days ago so its worked but I need a couple more before I feel confident to go over.

Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jamellabeth and justcantstop - I'm hoping for early Sept too - it would be lovely to have a Bubhub soirée while we're all there if we're all going to be there at a similar time :-)

I LOVE how much momentum this thread has these days. We rock! I'm going to do an updated roll call over the weekend so we can include our new BFP's and newbies. If anyone wants their stats updated let me know xx

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vixjc For This Useful Post:

Dette  (08-06-2015),Jamellabeth  (05-06-2015),Wet setter  (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vixjc your story is extremely similar to my experience at Embio, it was absolutely horrid !! We had to pay in either cash or the doctors Swiss bank account !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixjc View Post
    So then, Genesis clinic. I went there in 2013 at the recommendation of my FS. I paid him a management fee to arrange the process. He said he would “prepare the oven” and Genesis would finish it off with the ET. I had to be in Athens for three weeks and the ET would occur in that time. I met with a girl who had been there and was pregnant with twins on her first attempt (but her 17th ivf cycle). She told me it was busy/factory like, that most staff didn’t speak English, that there was no dignity and to wear a dress because you would not have anything to cover yourself with otherwise.

My experience when I got there was that it was very disorganised. We had met another couple (at my pre-flight intralipid) who were taking the same flight and going to Genesis on the same day, I had been given an appointment time, she had not. We found out that in fact (one of us spoke Greek) the Dr didn’t make appointments for us, but would slot us in between his actual patients, the time had been given was just indicative. We waited 5 hours to be seen. When I saw the Dr, he had no idea who I was or my medical history, so I don’t know what my management fee had paid for. I handed over the photocopy of my file I had been given by my FS. The Dr didn’t look at it, I had to give him my history verbally. He did an internal ultrasound to check my lining, there was nothing in the room to cover myself with (I had expected that), I had to sit on a table that was clearly visible every time the door opened (which it did constantly both before and during the scan) naked from the waist down with my vejayjay pointing at the door. The scan was so rough I nearly jumped off the table in surprise. (I asked the other girls who had been there they said he was rough with them too). I was sent upstairs to do the legal contracts – they were quite put out when I asked for a copy of the contract, seriously offended! It was a Monday and I was told to expect the donor’s EPU to occur on Friday (hence DH would be needed for his sample that day), that date got changed multiple times without us being told. I would only find out plans had changed when I was chasing up to confirm DH should start the antibiotics which we had been told needed a few days to kick in. Even though I had a Greek mobile, I had a terrible time trying to get hold of the contact at Genesis. She didn’t answer the phone or return my calls. At one stage when she said EPU had been delayed, we asked if we were ok to leave Athens for a few days because by that stage we had cabin fever, she said yes, just make sure you’re back by Tuesday. So we came back to Athens for the Tuesday only to discover DH's appointment was cancelled again and we hadn’t been told. It got so bad we were concerned we wouldn’t receive an ET at all and we were losing faith in the clinic and were worried they might just forget about us, we wrote to our FS with our concerns and he got his admin assistant to respond that “This is the way it works. You’ll be fine” – honestly his response took about two lines. Eventually we left Athens after DH gave his sample and I flew back in for one night to receive the ET on my own. On the day of ET the staff were lovely. I could see the Dr standing on the other side of the curtain waiting for the embryos to be brought in for ET, he didn’t come and talk to me, just waited for the embies, transferred them and left. I was told nothing about how many embies there were what quality they were etc until I relly pushed hard for it. I was left in stirrups, facing the embryologists window for half an hour with nothing covering me. The facilities were a bit tired, but clean.

Payment must be made in cash in a room called “The Library”. They had a cash counting machine and would give you a discount if you agreed to accept a receipt for a lessor amount. The couple we had met refused to pay by cash and they paid by travellers cheque but I know they really struggled with the clinic to get them to accept something other than cash. We couldn’t do a bank transfer, only cash in hand.

I got basic stats about my donor. I know the other couple’s donor was over 30 yrs old (that couple tried quite a few times, as I understand it they still haven't successful but they were spo lovely I'm hoping their miracle will happen one day!). There were only 2 embies from the cycle with my donor. I got pregnant but at 7 weeks there was no visible embryo – I suspect that’s just bad luck, not a reflection on Genesis’s science. Their system is that they have donors cycling constantly. In any given week they will allocate who they’ve got available to the people that show up for a transfer. That is why you need to be there for three weeks, if you don’t get a donor in the first week you have to wait for the second week or the third week. One of my potential EPU’s fell over when the donor apparently just didn’t show up for scans, I think other donors didn't get to EPU because they didn't respond to meds - they aren't all proven donors. I received my ET in the third week, so they had been keeping my lining primed for three weeks by that stage. After I received the ET I never had any contact from Genesis again. I found out the pregnancy wasn’t viable the day after my FS had gone on holidays with the Dr from Genesis. My miscarriage was handled by the Dr looking after my FS’s patients during his holidays. I never heard from the FS again either, when I called to cancel the OB appointments he had made for the pregnancy they had already been cancelled they knew I miscarried but just never acknowledged it.

Basically the service is not personal, neither in your treatment nor in the selection of your donor. The meds are handled by the FS here until you get to Athens when Genesis takes over. In my case what Genesis told me verbally about meds and what they wrote down for me were different, I had no luck trying to contact them to find out which doses I was actually supposed to be taking and after a few days ended up having to contact my Aust FS for clarity. I found the procedures rough and undignified. I felt like I wasn’t a patient of Genesis, I was someone else’s patient and they just carried out a procedure. It felt like a factory and I was just another source of income. It was about 5,500 euro back then, don’t know what it is now.

I consider myself pretty resilient, but after that experience I was a mess. There was no way I was going back there and my DH refused to use that FS again. That was when I selected Serum, I had no more interest in being treated disrepsectfully by Doctors. I wanted good science and empathetic patient care and I could not have cared less if my main contact at the clinic had a medical degree or a cert IV in first aid, so long as the science was right and the treatment was respectful and I didn't feel like a cash cow. I hear what Yasna says about being there for the process and not for a holiday, and being accustomed to dropping your pants for doctors during this process, and I very much agree to a large extent. But at Genesis I felt there was no respect for the patient or common courtesy at times. For 5,500 euro, at a minimum I expect the Dr to have read my file before I attend my first appointment, I expect to actually have an appointment and not wait 5 hours to be squeezed in between “real” patients only to get less than ten minutes with the Dr, I expect someone to return my call to correct an error they have made about my doses, and I expect to be told if procedures are cancelled and I don’t need to attend the clinic.

So this post has gone on long enough and I haven’t even put everything in here … but suffice to say, I’m not a fan
    Wow! That sounds awful:thumbdown:
    Sorry you had to go through that, it's certainly put me off.
    So if we want to use Embryoland or Serum (without my FS's involvement) what is the next step? Do I need to start the procedure via a GP or find another FS which is affiliated with our chosen clinic?
    Basically I'm worried about what drugs I should be on prior to going to Athens for the ET and who tells you what is needed. We really feel alone in all this and now I don't feel I can trust our FS as mine was the same as yours. After 3.5 yrs of tests, countless appointments, wasted money and lots of disappointment I really need some clarity.
    I emailed Dr Kanakas today and he got back to me within 4hrs! Already impressed!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laiylabelle For This Useful Post:

lissimmo  (13-04-2016),Offshorechick  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been dealing with the clinic directly and I've found the communication to be excellent (I was really worried that things would get lost in translation!) my FS can't be 'seen' to be helping me with O/S egg donation etc but so far she is happy to chat to me about it on the phone, write up any scripts Dr K sends through and she will also arrange my scans etc. I can go in and see her but she won't make any notes about what we're doing specifically just general 'help with fertility'
    Not sure where you are but can you see a different FS or even your gp? My FS is with ivf Australia in NSW

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Laiylabelle View Post
    Wow! That sounds awful:thumbdown:
    Sorry you had to go through that, it's certainly put me off.
    So if we want to use Embryoland or Serum (without my FS's involvement) what is the next step? Do I need to start the procedure via a GP or find another FS which is affiliated with our chosen clinic?
    Basically I'm worried about what drugs I should be on prior to going to Athens for the ET and who tells you what is needed. We really feel alone in all this and now I don't feel I can trust our FS as mine was the same as yours. After 3.5 yrs of tests, countless appointments, wasted money and lots of disappointment I really need some clarity.
    I emailed Dr Kanakas today and he got back to me within 4hrs! Already impressed!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Getting in touch with the clinics you are interested in is the next step - Embryoland, Serum, Iakenyro (spelling?) are the ones used on this thread ,chip in ladies if I've missed one!). You might also want to get in touch with Ruth Pellow as there is some good feedback about her and she can guide you through picking and using a clinic. The Greek clinic will tell you what tests you need, what medication to take and when. You need a Dr here to prescribe the tests and meds, I used Dr Poliness (city fertility) and she was great but no doubt there are others, someone else was using Dr Lawrence (not sure if it was Anthony or Mark - they are identical twins and both do FS work at Monash). You will find its actually quite easy once you've picked your clinic.

You're on the path now lovely, you'll be amazed how quickly this process can move!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vixjc: Reading your story made me cringe. This is all such a personal experience, it is a shocking that the docs/nurses could not even fake a bit of compassion and respect. I know they see it everyday and I have certainly learned the hard way that fertility or lack of it is a business, for sure. But, its not that difficult to at least have communication with patients (and yes, you were a patient whether they called you one or not) and let them obtain treatment in some sort of a dignified manner. Horrible!

It is stories such as your that made me discount any idea of getting treated outside the US. But now, I am at a point where if I want to have a child, DE is my only option and going overseas is really the best way to do it quickly and for a reasonable price before I really am too old and all hope is lost.

I am preparing myself for what lies ahead. Luckily transfers are fairly quick so a bit of discomfort and being aware enough to make sure I bring a towel and wear a skirt is doable since that 15 minutes could change my life!!

Again though, cannot say enough about how this board is helpful. We need to go into this with our eyes open and be prepared. I'd have no clue what to do or expect without having found this thread! I probably would not even be doing this.....

Re soiree in Athens in Sept - I am DOWN for that!! Would love to have a meet up so we can all compare notes and be each other's cheerleaders. Weather in Sept in Greece is usually very nice - not too hot but still hot enough (80's) so it should be lovely! If I am following correctly, there may be 3 or more of us there then. Don't know who is coming alone or with DH but the more the merrier, right. We will definitely have to work something out!

Can't wait...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to justcantstop For This Useful Post:

kcraig  (08-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Justcantstop - it was definitely cringeworthy! But that was Genesis, my experience at Serum could not have been more different and was in fact better than in Aus - I didn't need to wear a skirt, they provided disposable ones ... Serum was awesome :-)