Closed Thread
Page 93 of 100 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone. Congrats to all bearers of good news!

Wetsetter that is awesome! I would love to hear about your experiences with Iakentro and Ruth. Is there some way I can contact you at some stage? I think my PM is turned off but I will check on the weekend.

Tayto - thanks for your courage in sharing your experience. It is useful info to know about avoiding public holidays. I will definitely check my dates before I head over.

We are both still doing tests. DH did a FISH and couple of other semen tests last week. I have booked a lap and hysto on 25th June. I have been feeling a bit weird in the nether- regions lately and just want to have everything checked out before heading to greece later this year.

I notice flights with Qantas are only $700 one way from bris to athens later this year... but I will wait a little while longer before booking.

DH starts radiation treatment for the big C this month too.

Thinking of you all.

CherryCP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixjc View Post
    Lailabelle - hi there, I went to Genesis, it was the first clinic I went to and know a couple of others who have been there too. It was not a great experience at all, we were pretty upset by it. I will PM you ...
    Thanks so much Vixjc!! I would love to hear your feedback. i feel that we only have one shot at this and want to choose the right clinic.
    Not even sure how to check i have received a pm!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow so much good news this morning!!! It's so uplifting. Thank you everyone for sharing!

Yasna your joy is just flowing out of you!! I hope we all get to experience it, and sounds like you have had a very very tough ride getting there, so I am very happy for you!! Lovely to see photos too!

Wetsetter how exciting for you too!! You must be thrilled. Can I ask you how it works that you have got through the 2ww but are officially 4 weeks pregnant? Also if a pregnancy is officially due after 9 months or 40 weeks or what... I'm needing to make sure I time this visit all right for mat leave purposes!

CherryCP can you explain what the FISH test is and where you got it? DH is doing some sperm tests at the moment and this was mentioned but I don't think our FS does it.

Have a great long weekend, everyone!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chillout71 For This Useful Post:

Yasna  (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also re Genesis I've been there as well. From what I've worked out, you need to do some name dropping. In which I did the first time I went to Athens. I magically got an appointment from 3 months to 4 days later. I simply lied and said my FS had told me to come. So they assumed, he had done all the pre work etc.
    Yes they caught me out, but Pfft who cares. Suddenly I could not understand lol
    They are extremely busy, locals wait many months to get in there.
    The service is not like the others, which have a huge market in overseas.customers. So they don't care about your holiday or how long you have waited for your appointment.
    It's like a huge IVF clinic here, but Greek. If you don't speak the language it is harder. Both positives and negatives.
    PM me if you want to know more

Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences please keep them coming. I feel it really helps others making a choice of where they will

Yay it's Friday hello to everyone

Baby dust [/QUOTE]

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Hi Francesthecat,
    I don't think I've heard a good thing about that place! It's worrying me.
    I don't think I can pm yet as not posted enough. Are you able to pm with more info on your experience? So I take it you didn't have treatment there then in the end...? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi lailabelle - I decided I'll do a public post about my experience at Genesis (after all there will no doubt be others that consider that clinic) so no need to look for a pm :-). Once I get a chance to fire up the lappy today I'll post about my experience and I promise to try and rein in my potty mouth when I do it :-D

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Vixjc For This Useful Post:

lissimmo  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixjc View Post
    Hi lailabelle - I decided I'll do a public post about my experience at Genesis (after all there will no doubt be others that consider that clinic) so no need to look for a pm :-). Once I get a chance to fire up the lappy today I'll post about my experience and I promise to try and rein in my potty mouth when I do it :-D
    Very much appreciated Vixjc.
    It's so valuable to hear from women who have been through it already!
    As much as I respect Nick L (my FS) I can't be sure he's giving me impartial advice on the best clinic...especially if they are receiving a referral fee from Genesis!
    Don't want to be treated as just 'another case'. Had enough of that in Australia!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, where to begin? So much positive today...

Yasna: You are truly glowing. I can see it in your writing. So happy for you! Looks like you have a future gymnast in there! How nice that your off meds and can finally enjoy your pregnancy. Love hearing your updates.

Wetsetter: Congratulations! Great, great news. I wish you all the best. Please keep us updated as you go along. I have to say, I know it does not work all the time (we all know that), but hearing these BFPs just makes me so happy and helps me to believe one day I'll be reporting a BFP!!

Vix: Please do post about your experience at Genesis. I think everyone's experiences, positive and negative are important to all those deciding how they are going to proceed.

Jamellebeth: Sorry to hear about your DH's accident. Hope his hand is okay (and I hope I have the right person!!).

Cherry: Seems like you guys are starting to move along. Good for you. I have my first appt with my doc on June 9th and then I'll know when my tests will be scheduled, etc. I have to make DH's appt for his semen analysis, etc. So we'll be getting along soon too.

Frances: Glad to hear things have settled down and all is okay. I'm sure you are relieved! Sounds like the little one is snuggled in for the long haul! I'm sure the scan will be fine and will really put your mind at ease so you too can relax and enjoy the experience.

Tayto: If you're out there reading this, I'm thinking of you and hoping you are doing well. Hopefully you will have some good news soon too!

Anyone/everyone I missed, wishing the best for all of you fabulous ladies!!
    Last edited by justcantstop; 05-06-2015 at 12:57.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justcantstop For This Useful Post:

Jamellabeth  (05-06-2015),Yasna  (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Jamellabeth;8202958]Hi everyone!
    I'll write a longer post later but just to update everyone on our journey:
    We were hoping to head to Embryoland end of July but as I am completely menopausal I need to have at least 2-3 periods before heading over, so we are looking at the end of August atm (plus the airfares are so much cheaper in Aug compared to July and we need 3!)
    [QUOTE]

Jemellabeth: We plan on going to Embryoland end of Aug or early Sept. I was getting a period every month (though not as regular as I used to) up until April (when I decided on this and started talking to Dr K). Then I did not get a period until May 31. I think I'm starting menopause - early stages. Perfect timing right?! Dr K told me to get scripts for Provera and Estrace which I will get when I see my doc on June 9th. He told me to contact him that night once I have the pills and he will tell me when to start taking them. I'm hoping between period at end of May, June, July and then Aug I should still be able to go when planned. But we'll see. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you and how long have you been menopausal? Did he put you on Provera too?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to justcantstop For This Useful Post:

Jamellabeth  (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So then, Genesis clinic. I went there in 2013 at the recommendation of my FS. I paid him a management fee to arrange the process. He said he would “prepare the oven” and Genesis would finish it off with the ET. I had to be in Athens for three weeks and the ET would occur in that time. I met with a girl who had been there and was pregnant with twins on her first attempt (but her 17th ivf cycle). She told me it was busy/factory like, that most staff didn’t speak English, that there was no dignity and to wear a dress because you would not have anything to cover yourself with otherwise.

My experience when I got there was that it was very disorganised. We had met another couple (at my pre-flight intralipid) who were taking the same flight and going to Genesis on the same day, I had been given an appointment time, she had not. We found out that in fact (one of us spoke Greek) the Dr didn’t make appointments for us, but would slot us in between his actual patients, the time had been given was just indicative. We waited 5 hours to be seen. When I saw the Dr, he had no idea who I was or my medical history, so I don’t know what my management fee had paid for. I handed over the photocopy of my file I had been given by my FS. The Dr didn’t look at it, I had to give him my history verbally. He did an internal ultrasound to check my lining, there was nothing in the room to cover myself with (I had expected that), I had to sit on a table that was clearly visible every time the door opened (which it did constantly both before and during the scan) naked from the waist down with my vejayjay pointing at the door. The scan was so rough I nearly jumped off the table in surprise. (I asked the other girls who had been there they said he was rough with them too). I was sent upstairs to do the legal contracts – they were quite put out when I asked for a copy of the contract, seriously offended! It was a Monday and I was told to expect the donor’s EPU to occur on Friday (hence DH would be needed for his sample that day), that date got changed multiple times without us being told. I would only find out plans had changed when I was chasing up to confirm DH should start the antibiotics which we had been told needed a few days to kick in. Even though I had a Greek mobile, I had a terrible time trying to get hold of the contact at Genesis. She didn’t answer the phone or return my calls. At one stage when she said EPU had been delayed, we asked if we were ok to leave Athens for a few days because by that stage we had cabin fever, she said yes, just make sure you’re back by Tuesday. So we came back to Athens for the Tuesday only to discover DH's appointment was cancelled again and we hadn’t been told. It got so bad we were concerned we wouldn’t receive an ET at all and we were losing faith in the clinic and were worried they might just forget about us, we wrote to our FS with our concerns and he got his admin assistant to respond that “This is the way it works. You’ll be fine” – honestly his response took about two lines. Eventually we left Athens after DH gave his sample and I flew back in for one night to receive the ET on my own. On the day of ET the staff were lovely. I could see the Dr standing on the other side of the curtain waiting for the embryos to be brought in for ET, he didn’t come and talk to me, just waited for the embies, transferred them and left. I was told nothing about how many embies there were what quality they were etc until I relly pushed hard for it. I was left in stirrups, facing the embryologists window for half an hour with nothing covering me. The facilities were a bit tired, but clean.

Payment must be made in cash in a room called “The Library”. They had a cash counting machine and would give you a discount if you agreed to accept a receipt for a lessor amount. The couple we had met refused to pay by cash and they paid by travellers cheque but I know they really struggled with the clinic to get them to accept something other than cash. We couldn’t do a bank transfer, only cash in hand.

I got basic stats about my donor. I know the other couple’s donor was over 30 yrs old (that couple tried quite a few times, as I understand it they still haven't successful but they were spo lovely I'm hoping their miracle will happen one day!). There were only 2 embies from the cycle with my donor. I got pregnant but at 7 weeks there was no visible embryo – I suspect that’s just bad luck, not a reflection on Genesis’s science. Their system is that they have donors cycling constantly. In any given week they will allocate who they’ve got available to the people that show up for a transfer. That is why you need to be there for three weeks, if you don’t get a donor in the first week you have to wait for the second week or the third week. One of my potential EPU’s fell over when the donor apparently just didn’t show up for scans, I think other donors didn't get to EPU because they didn't respond to meds - they aren't all proven donors. I received my ET in the third week, so they had been keeping my lining primed for three weeks by that stage. After I received the ET I never had any contact from Genesis again. I found out the pregnancy wasn’t viable the day after my FS had gone on holidays with the Dr from Genesis. My miscarriage was handled by the Dr looking after my FS’s patients during his holidays. I never heard from the FS again either, when I called to cancel the OB appointments he had made for the pregnancy they had already been cancelled they knew I miscarried but just never acknowledged it.

Basically the service is not personal, neither in your treatment nor in the selection of your donor. The meds are handled by the FS here until you get to Athens when Genesis takes over. In my case what Genesis told me verbally about meds and what they wrote down for me were different, I had no luck trying to contact them to find out which doses I was actually supposed to be taking and after a few days ended up having to contact my Aust FS for clarity. I found the procedures rough and undignified. I felt like I wasn’t a patient of Genesis, I was someone else’s patient and they just carried out a procedure. It felt like a factory and I was just another source of income. It was about 5,500 euro back then, don’t know what it is now.

I consider myself pretty resilient, but after that experience I was a mess. There was no way I was going back there and my DH refused to use that FS again. That was when I selected Serum, I had no more interest in being treated disrepsectfully by Doctors. I wanted good science and empathetic patient care and I could not have cared less if my main contact at the clinic had a medical degree or a cert IV in first aid, so long as the science was right and the treatment was respectful and I didn't feel like a cash cow. I hear what Yasna says about being there for the process and not for a holiday, and being accustomed to dropping your pants for doctors during this process, and I very much agree to a large extent. But at Genesis I felt there was no respect for the patient or common courtesy at times. For 5,500 euro, at a minimum I expect the Dr to have read my file before I attend my first appointment, I expect to actually have an appointment and not wait 5 hours to be squeezed in between “real” patients only to get less than ten minutes with the Dr, I expect someone to return my call to correct an error they have made about my doses, and I expect to be told if procedures are cancelled and I don’t need to attend the clinic.

So this post has gone on long enough and I haven’t even put everything in here … but suffice to say, I’m not a fan

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vixjc For This Useful Post:

Dette  (08-06-2015),lissimmo  (13-04-2016),Offshorechick  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thx for the well wishes, i just hope it hangs around (really trying to relax but its so hard when you have wanted it for so long)

chillout- i am 4 weeks as your pregnancy gets calculated from the first day of your last period and yes i think it is a total of 40 weeks

cherry - i have sent you a PM with my experience with Iakentro and Ruth. Its probably a bit biased now but overall a good experience and a clinic i would also recommend. It almost felt too easy which is partly why i still cant believe i am pregnant.