Closed Thread
Page 53 of 99 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasna View Post
    This thread feels like its turning into a sales thread. Go to this clinic, no, go to that clinic, no I dont like this clinic, this one is better..erh...I'm over it..I came here for support and to chat to everyone..not sure I'm going to handle it if everyone keeps trying to 'sell' their clinic..Makes me feel like people are getting paid to advertise 'their clinic' ..

My taxi driver told me that a lot of clinics in Greece are like Mafia, they just take your money. He has friends who did IVF. I showed him a photo of Dr Kanakas and he said "No he not mafia" ...hahah ... I think that its nice that everyone shares, but I'm not going to bag out any other clinics, im just happy with my choice. If you don't choose what I did, I don't blame you, find out for yourself and make your own choices, I really just liked Dr Nikos.

Im a single lady going through this alone, no hubby to support or argue with. So please understand when I say I need support, I cant tell a lot of my friends since I dont want to jinx myself and I really love the fact that we are all in the same boat. Getting donor eggs was a difficult but necessary choice. I'd rather have a baby through donor eggs, than be a single spinster wishing and dreaming I had a baby.
    Don't worry yasna I'm sure support is why we are all on this thread! And positivity about our clinics/choices is all part of that self-support, isn't it?! I just think it's great that there are a number of very good options for all of us who have had such low odds to deal with in the past. Maybe that's why we are all a bit control -freaky about it all!! I think it's great you are doing it on your own. I considered it about 5yrs ago but then found I had a balanced translocation and couldn't access IVF with pgd easily. I have nothing but respect for you ladies going through all this on your own, you are very strong and will be wonderful mothers I'm sure.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chillout71 For This Useful Post:

CherryCP  (13-04-2015),Jamellabeth  (13-04-2015),Vixjc  (13-04-2015),Yasna  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The Spanish clinics are a bit priceier as well and some you have to pay extra for a 5 days transfer.
    Yasna I dot think anyone was trying to "sell" their clinics ( including you ) it can just be hard hearing things about your clinic which arnt necessarily true, so people like to point that out, you've found your clinic that you chose great, others have found serum great, the Greek clinic I chose was sh*t, this is why these forums are here so that we can each tell about both the good and bad, that's why it supports not only the people posting but also those lurkers, not everyone is going to have a good experience at a clinic so it is important to be able to read both sides
    if your going private I would definitely look into a doula, they are trained like a midwife but they are an advocate for you, just like a partner would be and will make sure within safety/reason you get the birth that you want
    Vixjc I have never ever had a hot chocolate like the one I experenced at my clinic ( it has a 4 star hotel attached ) omg I put on a couple of kilos while there as well lol, when we were in Athens I actually lost weighty as the food was so lovely and fresh and all the walking around we did! aiming for that we we go back as well, I can't go back over there without visiting Greece, I've fallen in love with that place

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

Jamellabeth  (13-04-2015),Positano1  (13-04-2015),Vixjc  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Stacey - Greece is addictive huh! It has a special meaning for me because we got engaged there and now our little man is from there, but even putting my bias aside, it's still a great place to go! Those meatballs, that calamari, the cheese! And all those fascinating ruins, what's not to love :-). You've got me craving hot chocolate now :-D. I put on weight in Greece - I blamed the dexa, but really I just ate up a storm :-).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vixjc, oh I ate Greek salads, gyros and omg a dessert at the pl we stayed at at Mykonos, argh some dessert with rice noodles on the bottom with pastry and custard omg I couldn't stop eating that !! Also the real Greek yoghurt in the ceramic pots (bought some of those back after I'd gobbled the yoghurt up) and the guy by the train station selling fresh strawberries for about €2 for a kilo!! Had those everyday !!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

Vixjc  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    By the way Chillout, have you looked at the South Africa clinics? I had lunch with some other bubhubbers on the weekend and quite a few of them went to South Africa (Cape Town I think). They all had good experiences - one has 22 frosties!!! The upside is that you get to pick your donor - they have a profile and childhood pics. I think the costs were similar to Greece but I don't know the details. There is a thread on Bubhub about it, not sure what it's called though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah Yasna the doctors are already making you doubt your ability to birth your baby. Be careful of private obstetricians. Liz Leyes' number is 0422703509 unless it has changed. Give her a call. You will love her. A doula is a Greek term for a woman who mothers a mother. She does everything and if you don't have partner I recommend her even more. She will be your advocate and she will keep the doctors away to prevent intervention. I never had to ask for anything during my birth. She was there doing what I needed when I needed it.

Talk to Liz about obstetricians too. She knows them all.

I know when you start out needing so much medical help it is hard to let go and trust your body. My son was ivf too.

I am very excited for you and really hope I will be sharing your joy soon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Positano1 For This Useful Post:

Yasna  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Speaking of Greek food, today I bought chestnuts for the first time!! I bought them in little packets freshly roasted over coals in Greece. I checked a few youtube videos and am currently roasting mine on the stove top in a big cast iron pan, they smell yum !!

Excuse my whinging about all the clinic crap, but I'm a bit moody and irritable, my dogs are being yelled at and I'm feeling so cranky.. Hence me being a bit *****y in here.. I never originally wanted to go to Embryoland because the name sounded so pathetic. La la la go to Embryoland..but after meeting the Dr Nikos, I felt much better, still think they should change the name....but I guess they are easily found on a google search if you're looking for embryo's???

I was tempted to go to Spain too, watch flamenco, eat tapas, but I read in a few places that they arent quite up to date technologically and that they treat you sub par if you dont 'speaka spanish'..I liked that a lot of people in Greece spoke english, plus its close to my motherland!!! I loved the music food and dancing !!
    I have been cooking Greek food heaps, having for breakfast every morning tomatoes, cucumber and olives with my eggs..Its been difficult hunting down tomatoes that taste as good as the ones in Greece. Soon I will attempt to make Papoutsakia- little shoes..tasty stuffed eggplant, I ate it at this cute little restaurant around the corner from President hotel..my mission, to replicate all the food I ate. YUMMMmmmmmmm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Vixjc yes I did but to be honest I think I prefer the anonymity of European clinics and also prefer it as a destination! My DH def prefers not choosing based on pics etc too which I must respect. I'm from the UK so guess there's a link there in some ways. Also it's taking me so long to choose a clinic - in SA you have to choose a donor agency and a donor as well, not sure how I'd cope!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chillout I spoke with a woman who was at a clinic in Zlin during and after her trip. All good. I contacted a couple but the waiting times were long just to have a Skype call. Then several more months wait to start. It all seemed difficult and definitely too long for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi friends,

I deleted most of my previous post. Sorry folks if it sounded like a promotional advert - I was just so excited about my experience so far - and wanted to share it with others. Hopefully I will have more positive news to add to my story (apart from the choosing aspect) later this year when I actually get to go to Greece... Can't wait. Finally got some test results back from my FS today.

I probably rambled on a bit too... because I found out on Friday my DH needs to have radiation treatment following cancer removal. I feel yet again, just when I have some hope, another potential road block has been put in the way. We are awaiting further advice as to the impacts this will have on DH's sperm. Perhaps DH may have to make a trip to Greece sooner than anticipated...

All the best.