Closed Thread
Page 20 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Chillout,

i looked into it briefly here in adelaide but found the complications in doing it here too hard.
    A. Yes as Vinjx mentioned, it is nearly always with someone you know. Otherwise you need to go on a very long waiting list or try to find someone yourself via various web sites.
    B. if you are lucky enough eventually to find someone here willing to donate, both parties need to then go through months of counselling to ensure you & donor are mentally ok to do this, & to determine how much of a role the donor will play in the child's life.
    I personally did not want to do this. For me time is of the essense so didn't want to waste time searching, counselling etc & I also felt uncomfortable with knowing the donor.....would I always look at my child & see this other person?

It's a very personal choice.

Hope this helps. Good luck

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Chillout,

i looked into it briefly here in adelaide but found the complications in doing it here too hard.
    A. Yes as Vinjx mentioned, it is nearly always with someone you know. Otherwise you need to go on a very long waiting list or try to find someone yourself via various web sites.
    B. if you are lucky enough eventually to find someone here willing to donate, both parties need to then go through months of counselling to ensure you & donor are mentally ok to do this, & to determine how much of a role the donor will play in the child's life.
    I personally did not want to do this. For me time is of the essense so didn't want to waste time searching, counselling etc & I also felt uncomfortable with knowing the donor.....would I always look at my child & see this other person?

It's a very personal choice.

Hope this helps. Good luck

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I forgot to mention - the only other thing I know about using a local donor is that you are not able to pay them or give 'gifts in kind' in return for their donation. So it is cheaper than going OS - that is if you have the time to spare on looking for a local donor (I didn't - it can take years) and you can find a donor and are comfortable with them being in your child's life in some way (as a presence or absence) either now or later when the child is over 18 and seeks them out - at which point your child may be very vulnerable to the donor's preference about the nature of any ongoing relationship, if any.

It's a tough one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What are the best clinics in Greece in terms of success rates / reputation? How did you choose?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh - there are a few in Greece. I would recommend getting on the Fertility Friends website. It's a UK website similar to bubhub. A LOT of UK women got to Europe for fertility treatment because its more accessible there (and cheaper) than in the UK. From that website, I chose Serum IVF based on the way everyone spoke about the personal service - the success rates seemed pretty much consistent across the board for donor eggs.

At the time I chose Serum I had already been to Genesis Clinic in Athens (the clinic also used by Mary Koustas) which had been recommended by my FS here. It was a hideous experience. I'm not saying their science isn't good - its impossible for me to know I guess, but the customer service was woeful and it made the whole experience stressful and unpleasant. Also, it felt like a factory, there was no flexibility (you had to be there for three weeks and just wait your turn for a donor to be available) and I felt that the service wasn't very personal, ie. I got whatever donor was available rather than someone being chosen specifically for me. At Serum, A donor was chosen based on my requirements and she cycled specifically for me. At Serum the customer service was exceptional, the whole experience was really very positive and much less stressful than at Genesis, and it felt tailored to me, I didn't feel like just another number. I don't think you can use Genesis unless you are referred by a doctor connected to that practice, whereas you can deal with Serum direct although you will need a FS here to prescrobe some of the meds until you get to Athens and can buy it there. Tip - buy as much meds in Greece as you can, you don't need prescriptions and it is WAY cheaper!.
    @Dette went to Serum too so she can chip in her thoughts. I've also heard really good things about Embryoland in Athens, so if you were looking at Greece, then Serum and Embryoland are the ones I'd be looking into but Fertility Friends might have more options for you to consider.

There are also some girls who have had really positive experiences with South Africa, (you get to pick your own donor and see their childhood photos) there is a thread on bubhub about it. I think the clinic was called CFC? It is in Cape Town.

Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vixjc For This Useful Post:

Chillout71  (17-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! Can I ask why you chose Greece in the first place, rather than say CZ or SA? U.S. is more expensive obviously..

Thanks
    Reviews
    To start with it was because the FS recommended it - although turns out he's a little biased, he's Greek and his mate owns Genesis - but my DH is Greek so it also made sense for us. I didn't really look into the other countries, I learnt about them later from others on here really. But for us having the Greek connection felt right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Chillout & Vinjx,

like Vinjx I did a bit of research. I looked at the US, SA, Thailand & Europe (Greece, Russia & Prague) I then looked at cost & easiness of travel & saw that on the whole, they were all having around the same success rates.

I then narrowed it down to Greece, as for us it was the most cost effective & easiest to travel there. Like Vinjx my hubby is European so that was a bonus. From there I googled my little heart out. I then narrowed my search again down to Serum, Embroland & the one Mary Kousas went to. I contacted each clinic.

I found Serum the easiest & most personable. They were & continue to be amazing. It's not just a job, something they do. They truly put their hearts & souls into. Penny the clinic manager has laughed, cried & cheered us on. Their procedures are extremely thorough & they ensure that every possibility is looked at just for you. Truthfully for me I wouldn't go anywhere else!

At at the end of the day, go where you feel is going to give you the best chance. It's expensive financially & even more so on the soul.

I will ill be heading back to Serum in the next few months to try again . They are currently cycling a donor for me & then popping them on ice.

Good luck with the research Chillout.

Hope you are doing well Vinjx & little Thomas is letting you get some sleep?

xx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dette For This Useful Post:

Chillout71  (17-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Dette - Thomas is awesome but man he did not want to settle last night between 12 and 2ish! He fed, then grizzled and grizzled and grizzled ... Each time he seemed asleep and I put him down he would wake after a few minutes and crack the sads. Eventually around 2:00 he went from screaming to passed out on my shoulder in the space of three seconds! I was too afraid to move him so I sat in a recliner with him asleep on my chest/shoulder for the next hour until I was sure I could put him down without it setting him off again ... I'm a bit sleepy today! I said to DH this morning 'I have four tertiary qualifications, including an honours degree and a masters, I've worked hard to be more than just how I look, and now a pint size man has reduced me to a set of b00bs!' :-). And I don't mind at all :-)))

Such a shame our timing doesn't line up - I don't go back to Serum to try for no2 till Sept, if it was earlier we could have hit the town together in Athens :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

Been very MIA been rough over the holidays, not feeling very joyous or anything.

Nice to read of your update Vixjc your little man makes this process all worth it.
    I think we have seen the same FS, he tried to get me to use his friends clinic.
    I before had tried dealing with them, they never bothered getting back to me. So why would I want to go there.
    So then he started rubbishing, the other clinicis I said at least they have some customer service.
    Or more like, he was ****ed to have missed out on a management fee, or some kick back.

Ive dealt with been dealing with both Embryoland and Serum. They both have promptly got back to me, seemed they have chosen a donor who suits my Eastern European looks.
    Penny is so nice, seems to be a more personal service.

I so so agree you have to be confortable with who you choose.

I fly out on Wednesday, so nervous. This is a whole new experience, and a new chapter.

Good luck Dette with your cycle who knows we might be there at the same time.

Kathy thank you so much for your time. Huge huge help

Fingers crossed for some magic heading our way