Closed Thread
Page 12 of 99 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dette View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Firstly, thank you Vinxj!

Sorry for stalking you on your babymoon, but thank you for endlessly answering all my questions & being the calm voice I hear. With the clinic being shut for all August, I was worried but lucky for me I have beautiful people on my side (you lovely ladies with Vinxj leading the charge & even Penny at Serum who is on holidays emailed me back - bless you!!!!). Honestly I can't thank you enough.
    Also loving the babymoon Vinxj. Does this mean the "Ralph'ing" has calmed down?

Well, I have my shutdown injection on the 26th August. $500 later & ouch. Hoping that won't make me feel too crap? Then the drugs begin after I get my period early Sept. To be honest, I don't really understand it all, but Penny said that by doing the injection it gives us to early Oct. Does anyone understand the purpose of this injection? Alas I'm sure Serum knows what they are doing.

Francesthecat, congrats on the scan! I'm so happy for you. Keep us posted on your progress. Are you having much morning sickness? What date is your next scan? With each day that passes, you can breath a little easier.

Welcome Macy. I totally understand your story & your wise words of how it feels. I'm 45 now & realise Greece is probably my last chance. Times a ticking.
    Please feel free to chat openly here; the woman on this site are kind & wise, & we all can honestly say "we understand"; the ups, downs, fears, guilt, courage & hopefully joy, this journey takes. I pray that you too get the opportunity to head to Greece. Please let us know how your journey progresses.

Xx
    Stalking? Pfft! That's what this site is for luv! Glad to hear Penny got back to you - I was pretty sure she would The injection bascially puts you into chemical menopause - shuts all your hormones down so that the other meds you take closer to transfer time can competely control your hormone levels. Word of warning, getting that injection makes you feel like you've been microchipped! Doesn't feel great getting it but doesn't hurt afterwards. They really sting you for meds in Adelaide! I only paid around $300 I think ... anyhoo, the only side effects I got from it were some hot flushes, other than that, all good.

AFM - unfortunately I'm still suffering morning sickness (and I'm almost 21 weeks!), even on the last day of the babymoon whilst en route to breakfast I had to bolt back to the room so as not to disgrace myself ... bless DH and his delivery of vegemite toast I'm prettylethargic most of the time, and am starting to get uncomfortable and be impacted by the bump now - clothes aren't fitting, bending over kinda sucks etc, and it seems that reflux started as of last night groan .... horrid nights sleep ensued ... don't get me wrong, I'm SO grateful to be pregnant, but damn I can't wait to feel well and comfortable and fit again!!! 18 weeks still c section (if I don't go early). Otherwise all is well, our 20 week scan showed that everything was as it should be We haven't found out the sex - gonna do that the old fashioned way - but I did replay the ultrasound DVD a few times at home and glued my beady eyes to the screen and kinda thought I mighta seen a third leg a few times ... but then again I'm the first to admit my powers of ultrasound interpretation are pretty limited So I've bought a blue beanie AND a pink beanie - my bases are covered!

Dette - when do you leave? it must be only a matter of weeks? So close!

Hi to everyone else too Wishing everyone bucketloads of and xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vinjx, love your humour!!!!! U definitely should write a book on this experience. From "tragedy 2 triumph & my spandex pants with Ralph on board". Best seller, in the making; Not to mention how confused Ralph will b when he's wearing his pink beanie.

Flights booked for the 24th September, yay. We r staying in Abu Dhabi 4 2 days, then into Greece 4 6 wks!!!!!! I wanted 2 allow enough time 2 do 2 cycles if necessary & in between we will travel around. Both my hubby & I have long service due, so thought we might as well make the most of it.

I must admit, I'm scared. I feel like this is our last option & chance. I can't imagine not having a child. Strange really, since I've left it so late. Alas, the stars r going 2 line up, I'm taking all yr positive vibes & off I go.

Im im having injection next Wednesday, so I will let u know if I grow 2 heads or worse a moe, hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey everyone,

i had had my injection last week. It was fine up until 2 days b4 period, then the symptoms set in. Boy was I sick. Alas all good now, only lasted a couple of days. Unlike u Vinxj my body is so sensitive 2 any drugs & protests accordingly.

I must b really dumb as I just have not been able 2 comprehend the when I have the drugs.

I went & saw my doc, took all Penny's emails & of course thought we had it all sorted, alas famous last words. I sent Penny the email saying my period had started, so I was going 2 start drugs & had booked in 4 scan on day 9 like the email said & that night she sends me back an email saying no don't start drugs 4 another 11 days & don't bother doing a scan, she will do 1 when I arrive on the 27th? I'm so confused, what happened 2 scan on day 9?

Vinjx do u remember your drug cycle? I'm terrified this miscommunication is going 2 end in tears (mine)! How many days after period did u start injections? What day did u do scan; did u even do 1?

The emails & what she is now saying r completely different?! I'm sure it's all fine ; it's just I don't feel like I've got a handle on what's going on, I'm running blind.

On the bright side only 20 more days & we will be heading 2 Greece, I'm sure it will b easier 2 understand once we r there & discussing things face 2 face.

Any travel tips ladies; what was your favourite thing 2 c, place, food, shopping?

Xx

ps Vinjx ignore my questions re drugs, I've just re- read emails from penny several times & realise what she omitted was the wait until the donor is ready, hence then we sinc drugs. The original email just said after period - dohl, now it makes sense!
    Last edited by Dette; 04-09-2014 at 16:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you poor thing! It's so stressful isn't it! I remember being convinced at some stage that Penny was confusing me with someone else and had it all wrong She didn't of course, but at the time it did my head in! It is such high stakes, going to the other side of the world in pursuit of this dream we so desperately desperately want ... all I can say is once you get there, and you meet Penny and her team, you will relax and have confdence Everything is so much harder over email!

As for stuff to do, just all the usual travel stuff - but my tip is to walk up the Acropolis first thing in the morning otherwise its too hot and crowded, and when ordering food, remember lots of the restauarants give you desert for free ... the three islands day trip is worth doing, watching the changing of the guards is pretty cool - poor devils with those bizarre outfits! THere is a "foodies" half day walking tour that is really interesting and worth doing, needless to say your average Greek doesn't actually eat Moussaka much!

20 Days! It's soooo close!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone

I was just wondering if travel insurance covers you for going to Greece for donor eggs?

Also to those who went to embryoland what day of your cycle did dr kanakas want to see you.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there keep trying, I don't know that travel insurance would cover any of the ivf procedures, but it should cover everything else you do. And to be honest, given there is only internal ultrasounds and a transfer (and an Aquascan if you went to serum) the risks are pretty low. I guess you might also do an intralipid ... I would be concerned if there was an epu, but as there wasn't for me, I wasn't really concerned about travel insurance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Keep trying
    in my experience Dr Kanakas will want to see you on the first day you arrive to go over the timeline, check lining thickness and discuss what meds you might need. He is fantastic and will want your mobile number and he will supply his to keep you informed of the progress of the egg retrieval and embryo count.
    Not sure about the insurance. Good luck ill keep my fingers crossed.
    We were lucky enough to be successful and I am currently 27.5wks pregnant with twin boys and can not praise Dr Kanakas enough for our little miracles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Vixjc and panda 1454.

I was also wondering about scans - my current ivf doctor suggested doing a scan and blood test on day 1 of my cycle and then again a couple of days before I go to Greece but Dr Kanakas has not mentioned having any scans or bloods before I go over. Did you do scans and bloods before you went or just left it till got there.

Also can you please advise how you took progynova - he said to take it for days 1 to 9 of my cycle -2 pills a day, both can be taken at same time? I would have thought you would have to space them 12 hours apart.

How many times did you have to see Dr Kanakas whilst in Athens?

Sorry for all the questions but just want to be sure doing things okay,.

Congrat's to you both on your pregnancies - did it happen on your 1st donor cycle? Thanks so much for your help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had scans done in Aus before I left - on the first cycle I was told too, on the second cycle (different FS and clinic) I planned them myself rather than being told to do it, just for my own peace of mind.

I did a donor cycle in Greece in Nov last year. I was there for three weeks (with Genesis clinic - really didn't have a good experience with them ) and was on progynova - I started on 1 tablet 4 times a day but my uterine lining didn't grow barely at all, so a week before I departed they doubled the dose to 8 per day (2 x 4 times/day), and that didn't grow it anywhere close enough either. They doubled it again to 16 a day (12 orally, 4 vaginally) on the Friday, I flew to Greece over the weekend and on the late Monday when I was scanned in Greece, the lining was nearly ready... It was bloody stressful and I was an absolute mess. I did get pregnant from that cycle but at 7 weeks the scan showed no viable embryo.

On my second cycle (at Serum clinic - they were awesome) I also had scans before I left, that was because I wanted to avoid all the stress I had the first time and because I was going to be in Athens for only a week - I had no spare time to grow my lining if it wasn't ready before I left. I started on 8 progy a day, 3 x 2 orally and 2 vaginally, then that was doubled to 16 (4 x 3 orally and 1 x 4 vaginally) just over a week before departure when my lining wasn't growing enough. By the time I left for Greece, lining was fine, Serum checked it again when I arrived on the Friday, on the Saturday I had an Aquascan, and on Sunday I had the transfer. I flew home on the Wednesday. I only had to visit the clinic for some pregnyl injections post transfer, but I was staying in an apartment right next to the clinic (and only about three minutes walk from Embryoland too - I saw it on one of my walks) so it was no trouble.

For me, the scans in Oz (done by my FS in her rooms) kept me on track mentally and physically. Even though I was on massive doses of progy, don't be guided by that at all, I've never heard of anyone having to take that level of doses, I just happen to be a particualrly poor responder to meds. Two progy's per day taken at the same time is probably fine for someone who responds to meds. But if you have concerns, I'm sure Dr Kanakas won't mind you asking him about it, I've heard he's lovely - chances are you won't be the first to have raised that question!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI Keep trying..
    I did not need to have any scans or bloods prior to going to Greece all where done when I arrived. I took Primolut 1 tablet every 8 hours for 3 days only to bring on my period as I have inconsistent periods so I would line up with the donor and then on my first day of my period I took PROGYNOVA 1 tablet daily for 4 days only then after that it increased to 2 tablets a day until I saw doctor Kanakas. I was very stressed that my lining would not thicken but Dr Kanakas assured me not to worry and everything would work. He was right. On the first day in Greece I dropped bags at hotel and went straight to the clinic and he did the ultrasound then. He was happy with the lining thickness and we kept up the meds as per his instructions, I am sure I increased to 3 tablets and Utrogeston. I to took them all together initially but I am sure after discussions with him it was best to space them apart. Just check with Dr Kanakas as he may have a reason for all at once as your protocol is slightly different to mine. I would recommending getting enough Utrogeston in Greece to get you through when you get home as it is a tablet form and much easier to use than what we get in Australia and cheaper.
    The amount of visits will vary a bit based on when you and the donor sinc up but it was every few days checking lining then a bit if a break as our original donor got cancelled and a new one chosen so we did sperm donation and then had about 5 days in between then back to every few days. He constantly kept us informed of egg count and embryo count and quality a long the way until we were back at the clinic as we travelled around a bit. We were there for 12 days total.

Yes we were very lucky and this was our first donor cycle and we were successful after 10 years of trying with 5 of those years doing IVF.
    If we had not been successful I definitely would have gone back again when we had the money.

Good luck Embryoland and Dr Kanakas are great.
    Vixjc is right Dr Kanakas will happily answer all your questions.

Don't hesitate to ask any other questions you have I know it feels daunting.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you.