+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any experience with a low lying placenta and bleeding in 2nd trimester?

Hi,

I'm hoping to hear from anyone who's had bleeding in the second trimester as a result of a low lying placenta.

I'm 15 weeks and on Wed morning (two days ago) I woke up to find that I had a bright red bleed. I went to the emergency department and was lucky enough that my OB was in the hospital so he came down and did an ultrasound which showed that the placenta is really low down (which he said caused the bleed). He didn't mention if the placenta is partially/completely covering the cervix - I'll ask him this when I see him next.

Other things he checked for were that the cervix was closed (it was), bubs was moving (s/he was) and whether or not there was good amount of fluid around the baby (there was). This was all a HUGE relief of course! Hardest part was that my OB took the time to show me bubs on the ultrasound and I got a *really* good look at bubs' perfect little face - which made me quite emotional (given that I was already super worried and stressed at the time!).

I was told to stay in bed for two days and get someone else to look after DS (an active 2yo) – which I’ve done. He said that at this stage, he doesn’t think that I need to be admitted hospital. WHAT THE...?!?! He also said that he wants to see me tomorrow (Fri) morning for an extra check up.

I’m trying not to think the worst, but everything I’ve read is that bleeding with a low lying placenta tends to happen much later on (20+ weeks). I really just want to know how serious this is. Is this a case of just(?) not getting the VBAC I was hoping for (as I had a pretty stressful emergency C-section with DS), or is there a real risk of losing bub?

I really just want to get some idea of what’s ahead of us. Has anyone needed to be admitted to hospital with this problem? If so, how long for? I know that every situation is different, but I would be really grateful to hear about others' experiences (good or bad).

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had bleeding around the same stage in 2 of my pregnancys and I had low lying placnta in my last pregnancy. Rest is the best and all you can do and would do if you were in hospital. I prob only got amitted the 2nd time as the ob knew me and knows I would have been running around after my 2 other kids, I also only had it happen once each time during those pregnancys. Then your ob will prob send you for some more scans during your pregnancy to see how the placenta moves (most of the time it moves up and out of the way) and if it doesnt then they will talk to you about c sect as that is the only way to deliver if the placenta is covering the cervix.
    I was told to have a csect from the start , I had plcenta which was less than 1cm from the cervix but we prepared for the birth and if there was any problems and I had a normal labour and birth well except for the induction as they didnt want an emergency csect on the weekend and I was considered a risky birth so I couldnt do the bath but other hospitals might be different.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 25-04-2013 at 21:31.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

Gizmosmum  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks lulu 2 - great to hear that it all turned out well for your family Fx it moves up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I bled from 15 weeks with my last pregnancy. I had placenta previa and I was in and out of hospital from 15 weeks to 37 weeks when DD was born by emergency section after a scan/trace showed she had gone into distress.

It is normal not to be hospitalised and, as horrid as it sounds...there is really nothing they can do until your pregnancy is a little further along.

I had my mum move in because I had a 6 year old and I was supposed to be on bedrest. She had to take over every thing, if i did anything more than shuffle about the house I would start to bleed again.

I had a few 3/4 night stays during my pregnancy when the bleeding got heavier and they thought it was Vasa Previa and not Placenta Previa.

In most cases, things do work out OK.As the uterus expands, the placenta moves with it and away from the Cervix. Mine got worse as it was attached over the cervix and the placenta tore a bit and detached so had a "loose edge". DD's umbilical cord was also attached to the side of the placenta and not the top so that made things trickier too.

Hang in there, take it easy and make sure you go to the hospital each time you start to bleed. Light bleeds are common and I even had some quite heavy ones and DD was fine (although she did need 3 nights in special care).

it is so hard having a stressful pregnancy, it takes so much of the joy out of it. I was terrified each time I went to the toilet...it was a very hard 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told at my 20 week scan I had a low lying placenta (I'd had a very light small bleed about a week before, but it wasn't enough that I thought it worth the hour trip to the hospital). I'm pregnant with twins, which makes you more at risk of placenta previa and I've had a D&C before, which also ups your risk of placenta previa. I haven't had any bleeding since the one I mentioned above.

At my 24 week scan today, the ultrasound lady said I had a little bit of a low lying placenta. Since my Dr's appointment followed straight afterwards and only preliminary ultrasound results were provided (which did not include anything about low lying placenta), the Dr couldn't tell me if there was any change in the placenta position at this point in time.

Basically she said they re-assess at 32 weeks and then if it hasn't moved sufficiently away from the cervix, they'd do another scan at 36 weeks to check the positioning (I will be having monthly scans due to twins anyhow).

She did emphasise to attend the hospital if I had any bleeding, even if only slight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a bright red bleed at 8 weeks. I bled brown for another 4 weeks. I'd about 4 scans before they diagnosed a low lying placenta (covering cervix). Was told it's a very small chance of moving as it's 'complete'. I'm 18+5 today and haven't bled in 6 weeks. I was told they'd check if it had moved at my 19 weeks scan (tomorrow morning!) and, if not, they'd scan me again at 30/32 weeks. If it doesn't move, it would be a matter of when, not if, I have big bleeds in my third trimester. I was told I'd be admitted if that happened and probably a c-section at 37 weeks. Since then, other docs and midwives have been more positive and reckon it'll move. I reckon it has moved as baby is still quite low (it's my first) and I only had that one big red bleed. I'll let you know how I go in the morning!