+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think people should give what they can afford without stretching their finances.

That's what I do, and if I'm going to be judged for not giving 'enough' cash then I don't want to be friends with anyone like that

It doesn't get much ruder than judging someone based on how much money they can afford to throw at you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (26-04-2013)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Soon I will be going to an interstate wedding that for 3 days will cost us about $1800 between flights, hire car, hotel, food and clothes. I don't know whether a gift will be expected from us but frankly I think we will be spending enough without a wishing well donation. That's $1800 we don't really have

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    Soon I will be going to an interstate wedding that for 3 days will cost us about $1800 between flights, hire car, hotel, food and clothes. I don't know whether a gift will be expected from us but frankly I think we will be spending enough without a wishing well donation. That's $1800 we don't really have
    Sounds like the wedding we are going to! On one wage it's pretty tough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The only weddings I would spend a small fortune to attend would be my own or my kids. Nobody else's wedding is that important to me that I would struggle financially just to be there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    Wow, people are supposed to cover what it cost the couple to invite them

To me a gift is a gift! Whether it be $20 or $200. Give what you feel comfortable with and what you can afford.
    Totally. You've been invited to share a special day with people. Your gift to them is not reimbursement. Give what you can afford and have a wonderful time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peta86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    All wedding plans on hold at the moment but a lot of responses here are the reason we were going to put "Presence not presents required" and then guests could feel free to give if they like.
    Although we did give $200 last wedding we went to but that was for SIL.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find the idea of paying to cover the cost of the reception really strange! I would give the same value gift to someone having a $5 per person backyard wedding as someone having a $500 per person extravaganza. The type of reception is entirely up to the couple getting married, their financial position and their priorities, whereas the value of the gift I give is entirely based on my financial position, how close my relationship with the couple is and what I feel they need. How much they want to splash out (or not) on their wedding doesn't come in to it.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (26-04-2013),CMF  (26-04-2013),giggle berry  (26-04-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (26-04-2013),shelle65  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyed View Post
    Sounds like the wedding we are going to! On one wage it's pretty tough
    So why go? I missed a very good friends wedding interstate as we had recently had a baby and just couldn't part with large sums of money at that time. I sent a beautiful present and they understood why we couldn't be there, I couldn't put that strain on my family just to be a guest at a wedding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Obviously it is dependant on how much you can afford.. DH and i usually give $500 and thats because we want to and know our guests would give the same in return.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mon101 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    Sorry I really misinterpreted what you said! My apologies
    I figured as you just agreed haha
    I think this day and age it's about $100 - $150 for a sit down 3 course wedding alcohol supplied. So $200-$300 is ridiculous to think you owe it back to them. I'm $150 max and that's for a close friend who has no hens night and their wedding within my state.
    $0000 for interstate just the bestest $10 wedding card ! Haha

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post: