+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I completely agree with Janesmum, I hate how wishing wells pressure people into giving large amounts of money. I give between $50-$100 depending on what I can afford at the time. I refuse to go into debt for a wedding. I don't care if people think I'm stingy, except I'd think its rude of them to judge how much money I can afford to give. I figure our judgments cancel each other out, lol.

Give what you can afford OP. I wouldn't give a card and then anonymous donation though, I'd be clear about what my gift was, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

babyla  (26-04-2013),Ellewood  (26-04-2013),giggle berry  (26-04-2013),Mod-Degrassi  (26-04-2013),Mod-Zeddie  (26-04-2013),RobinSparkles  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I completely agree with Janesmum, I hate how wishing wells pressure people into giving large amounts of money. I give between $50-$100 depending on what I can afford at the time. I refuse to go into debt for a wedding. I don't care if people think I'm stingy, except I'd think its rude of them to judge how much money I can afford to give. I figure our judgments cancel each other out, lol.

Give what you can afford OP. I wouldn't give a card and then anonymous donation though, I'd be clear about what my gift was, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
    Agree!

And on the other side of the coin, you should always thank people for their gift - I've been to a couple of weddings where I didn't get any thank you card and I find that incredibly rude as I carefully chose beautiful gifts for them.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

babyla  (26-04-2013),giggle berry  (26-04-2013),MissMuppet  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    Agree!

And on the other side of the coin, you should always thank people for their gift - I've been to a couple of weddings where I didn't get any thank you card and I find that incredibly rude as I carefully chose beautiful gifts for them.
    I am always completely gob smacked by this!!!

I have not received a number of thank yous and you always remember when you don't get them. In one case, other people had received a thank you and I had even done the bridal party make up too as well as a gift and got nothing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by giggle berry View Post

I like the idea about placing the money and card in separately 😉

Only worry there is that they may think we have nothing???

Do many people put them in separately or are most people putting the money in with the card?

I have only been to one other wishing well wedding so have no idea what the 'norm' is....
    At our wedding we put the wishing well poem on an envelope so people could drop the money in the envelope in the well and leave the cards on the table. Some put the envelope in the card but most were anonymous.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Am I the only person who doesn't care in the slightest what a couple getting married think of the value of the gift I give? If they think anything other than "oh how lovely she took the time to come and celebrate with us, and how generous to also bring a gift (of any value)" then quite frankly they are shallow people who are not my friends and I don't give a toss whether they are satisfied with the gift or not.

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (26-04-2013),Ellewood  (26-04-2013),FearlessLeader  (26-04-2013),giggle berry  (26-04-2013),haveheart  (26-04-2013),MissMuppet  (26-04-2013),Mod-Degrassi  (26-04-2013),Mokeybear  (26-04-2013),RobinSparkles  (26-04-2013),SassyMummy  (26-04-2013),Stiflers Mom  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I give $100 to $150 depending on the relationship and the distance to travel also depends on the hens and bux night how close it was to the wedding and how much it cost us.
    If its not requested as money being a gift then I usually spend something like 75 and will go in with a few people to buy something more expensive as a joint present.
    I definitely don't cover cost of us to attend reception that's ridiculous.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Am I the only person who doesn't care in the slightest what a couple getting married think of the value of the gift I give? If they think anything other than "oh how lovely she took the time to come and celebrate with us, and how generous to also bring a gift (of any value)" then quite frankly they are shallow people who are not my friends and I don't give a toss whether they are satisfied with the gift or not.
    You are not the only one. I totally agree with this^^^

I hate how people judge a gifts value on the price or amount of money given. And if they do I would not value the friendship very highly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    I definitely don't cover cost of us to attend reception that's ridiculous.
    I don't think it's ridiculous at all. After paying for basic costs like flights/petrol/accommodation/babysitters, that could end up a small fortune. I probably wouldn't have $100-200 left to spend on a gift. Simple, not everybody can afford that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    I don't think it's ridiculous at all. After paying for basic costs like flights/petrol/accommodation/babysitters, that could end up a small fortune. I probably wouldn't have $100-200 left to spend on a gift. Simple, not everybody can afford that.
    You just agreed with me? I think u read it wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    You just agreed with me? I think u read it wrong.
    Sorry I really misinterpreted what you said! My apologies