+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depends who it is- most ppl $100 for both me and DH- especially for those ppl who greedily had a wishing well for engagement AnD wedding). Close friends or family we give $200-250

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DF and I usually give $100 to friends and $200 to close friends and family. I personally love wishing wells! I think its better than giving the couple something random they will never use or even like.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You don't have to put your name on the envelope... I'd just put the card seperate to the money, so she won't know who gave what (unless everyone else gives their money IN their card... lol).

The ONLY person I have spent over $100 on for a gift is DD. If I don't do it for DP, my mother, or my closest friends I sure as hell wouldn't be giving someone getting married more than that.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (26-04-2013),LoveLivesHere  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I usually only give $100 regardless if it's just myself, dp or dd who is invited.
    If it's a family wedding, cousins etc. my sis and I will put our money in the same card.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyrissa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that the gift should be just what you can afford, after all I believe in only inviting those you want to share your special day with, and having them there is what matters.

Unfortunately I have always felt pressured into giving more than we can really afford due to being invited to many over the top weddings where everyone the family has ever known are invited and much of it is a big show. I know for a fact that at these weddings there is an expectation that your gift would be at least the cost of your place at the table.....

I don't think my work friend or her family feel this way though so there is less pressure for this one.

Weddings for us usually mean having to put money aside each month from the time we get the invite so as to be able to afford the gift. I never have money for a new outfit so just have to re-hash something from my wardrobe...

I like the idea about placing the money and card in separately 😉

Only worry there is that they may think we have nothing???

Do many people put them in separately or are most people putting the money in with the card?

I have only been to one other wishing well wedding so have no idea what the 'norm' is....

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have also put money in with the card. We actually forgot the card for the last wedding we attended and ended up writing on a napkin and put that plus the money into an envelope. Luckily they were close friends otherwise we would have looked so pov!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by giggle berry View Post
    I agree that the gift should be just what you can afford, after all I believe in only inviting those you want to share your special day with, and having them there is what matters.

Unfortunately I have always felt pressured into giving more than we can really afford due to being invited to many over the top weddings where everyone the family has ever known are invited and much of it is a big show. I know for a fact that at these weddings there is an expectation that your gift would be at least the cost of your place at the table.....

I don't think my work friend or her family feel this way though so there is less pressure for this one.

Weddings for us usually mean having to put money aside each month from the time we get the invite so as to be able to afford the gift. I never have money for a new outfit so just have to re-hash something from my wardrobe...

I like the idea about placing the money and card in separately ������

Only worry there is that they may think we have nothing???

Do many people put them in separately or are most people putting the money in with the card?

I have only been to one other wishing well wedding so have no idea what the 'norm' is....
    I find this a bit sad really. You don't have the money to give so you save up for months to be able to help fund someone's wedding.
    Since this is your position at the moment I would get a gift. For around $70 you can get a very lovely gift.
    Please don't feel pressured into giving money. Your family come first not someone else's wedding. Who cares what she thinks and if she thinks bad of you then she isnt worth your time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    And I just want to add this is one of the main reasons I hate wishing wells because so many people feel pressured to over extend themselves for fear of looking bad by not giving enough money.
    It's a terrible position to put someone in on what is supposed to be the happiest day of your life.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (26-04-2013),Rutabaga  (27-04-2013),smallpotatoes  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I am clearly a tight **** lol! I give $50, but I have been to a couple of weddings and only given a card as it cost me so much to get to the wedding.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! I only give $50, and if it was a close close friend maybe $100.... I never realised people spent so much!!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post: