+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We usually try to give $200 ($100 each from DH and I). It depends on how much we can afford at the time. If it's very close family or friends we will put in a bit more.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SH3LL13 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks guys, it's great to get a feel for what most people would give and think is appropriate.

It seems $100/head is a fairly common rule of thumb...

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I believe in give what you can afford. We certainly couldn't afford a $200+ gift. We have a wedding soon and I am going to try and give $100 but it might end up being $50. But it's all I can afford and I've done my best.

I've never heard of the paying for your reception and a gift on top.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow!! Can't believe how much some give! I guess I would give more if we could afford it. Best friends and family $100, friends $70. Or I buy a gift around the same values. I would have never expected more than this when we got married, it was more important to me that the people I loved were there with us on the day :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pippi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't see the whole 'pay how much you expect they are paying for you at the venue' thing as being relevant. I had no part in choosing the venue and I don't see that it is relevant. We hadn't been to a Wedding for a while so when we were invited to one earlier this year suddenly I had no clothes to wear that were suitable and we had to organise babysitting, etc. So, I had already spent over $150 before even getting to the Wedding. For us, that's a lot of money. We avoided the wishing well (I hate them!) and bought a present as we know the couple well and knew what they wanted. I think we spent $50. It wasn't till a month or two later that there was a similar thread here on bubhub and I suddenly thought I'd been stingy.

We went to another Wedding a few weeks ago and I didn't know the couple at all (dh knew them, but not that well). We really had no choice but to do the wishing well as I had no idea what to get them. We went with $50.

But, I think it's rude if a bride/groom expect $100 per person as a gift, as well as the cost of the clothes, babysitting, travel (which may include interstate travel with all it's costs), etc, etc. Do brides/grooms out there who had a wishing well actually care if someone puts in $20 and 'everyone' else puts in $200? If so, then I probably wouldn't want them as a friend or want to be at their Wedding.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (26-04-2013),LoveLivesHere  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never given more than 100!
    As long as I at least contribute 50 I think that's more then fair. No way would I gift 200 to anyone but then w aren't in a position to gift that much to anyone

Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a wishing well at my wedding we found the average person gave $100 per person. We always give $200 from me and dh together we feel that they would have spent that on our meal, wishing wells are a great idea.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tully78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my circle of friends the general guide is $50 per person. I think it makes no sense to try to cover your 'per head' cost. You're invited as a guest, you shouldn't really be expected to give any particular amount. People often spend a fair bit to attend weddings (depending on the wedding that might include travel, accommodation, taxis, new outfit, babysitters, getting hair done etc) so expecting them to then cover the cost of their seat at the reception is a bit off really.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Giggleberry! I have a similar wedding coming up. I was thinking $100 as the gift.....

If I buy a present off a gift registry I usually pick something around $100 (from us as a couple). I tend to think people give more when it's a wishing well because they don't want to look cheap (for lack of a better word), but I feel that it's more important to give what you can afford.

Your workmate/friend will just be happy that you could attend. At the end of the day the wedding is about them sharing their special day with the people they love. The gifts are just a bonus

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    But then I hate wishing wells.
    I do too, I usually buy a gift, a thoughtful well considered gift. The whole idea of giving cash irks me somewhat

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post: