+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    But ergh, typical BH 'you should be supervising' palaver. Er, they're locked in. I'm not watching my kid like a hawke, I'm drinking my coffee over here.
    I love how everyone here harps on about how it takes a village, then won't even spend a few seconds on someone else's kids safety. Seriously, I'm so glad i live in the real world where people aren't so uptight, selfish and judgemental about things like this.
    I was thinking the same but you said it far better than I would have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't let them out willy nilly, I'm talking about the ones that run out the moment you open the gate. If a child was standing there with 'please let me out' eyes after my child is out, I'm not going to say 'well come on, out you come too' but I can't physically stop a child from running/walking out the moment I open the gate.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think you should assume every parent is watching either.

Some scenarios:

- Breastfeeding another baby
    - Watching another child elsewhere
    - Gone to buy food/drink (I always get my free coffee while my charge is playing - otherwise he nags me for biscuits/cupcakes/jelly)
    - God forbid - talking to another person, or drinking a coffee, or checking phone.
    - At my play centre there's wifi so parent's can do work while their kids play quelle horreur!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I always check for their parents and if I can't see anyone I won't let them out. I usually ask 'which is your grown up?' And scan the crowd. Sometimes I'll catch the parents eye and they'll give me a nod like 'yes they can come out', so I'll let them out. If not I'll say 'I think you'd better wait for mummy' and push them back in (not really, lol)
    But ergh, typical BH 'you should be supervising' palaver. Er, they're locked in. I'm not watching my kid like a hawke, I'm drinking my coffee over here.
    I love how everyone here harps on about how it takes a village, then won't even spend a few seconds on someone else's kids safety. Seriously, I'm so glad i live in the real world where people aren't so uptight, selfish and judgemental about things like this.
    Well said.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    Its a public area, you should never assume your child is safe in a public area
    You can never assume your child is safe ANYWHERE. My DS is probably far safer in a gated playground than in my house, which has an oven, sharp knives, unsecured bookshelves to climb... He can probably unsnib and open the front door too. I don't follow him around at home all day, I'm not going to follow him around a gated playground. What on earth is the point of them if people are still being hyper vigilant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm probably going to get flamed here, but if my DS is playing in a gated area, I'm in there with him - not hovering but sitting down or standing off to the side. He is only 17 months, but I'll probably keep doing that until I feel that he's old enough so that if he is let out by another adult, I won't worry. No idea when that will be.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I always make sure that if a kid is trying to slip out of a gated play area that their parent is there, or I just don't let them come out.
    This is my rule. If a child asks me to let them out I ask them where their mummy or daddy are and if they point and the parent is watching, we make eye contact, or exchange a nod/smile then I let out them once I've got the ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think just because they're locked in, doesn't mean you should assume they're being watched.

I do not let kids out of gates/doors etc.

I was at a park once that was enclosed and a kid walked out with a crowd of people leaving and he was wandering in the carpark. The people who he walked out with actually brought him back and were asking whose kid it was

I was at a McDonald's playground and my son needed to go to the toilet, a little girl ran after him. The mother had no idea and I had to take her back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    This is my rule. If a child asks me to let them out I ask them where their mummy or daddy are and if they point and the parent is watching, we make eye contact, or exchange a nod/smile then I let out them once I've got the ok.
    Yup same. I never let a child I dont know out of a gated area unless I can see the parent / guardian is ok with it.

When DD was younger I used to wander with her and supervise. Now she is getting more independent I still keep a watchful eye but allow her to go and do things on her own (but Im never far away!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's anyone else's responsibility but your own to ensure your child doesn't get out . If I'm not watching and my child gets let out by you and something happens that is no ones fault but my own. They aren't baby sitting service . It's a play ground .

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

baby4us  (26-04-2013),Maybelline  (26-04-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-04-2013)