+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Gated play area etiquette

After the ANZAC march this morning, we went to McDonalds with my sister and her partner and kids. We took the table next to the door into the play area and my DD went off to play. Other kids were coming and going, and my DD came to the door a few times and one of my sisters (big) kids would go and open the door so she could come in or go out. After we had had morning tea, DD went back in for a play. She was in there for a few minutes when another mother went up to the door and opened it, her kids were coming out and she just held the door open allowing my DD to come through. Not once did she look around for a parent for my DD to go to and I am quite confident that she would not have know that my daughter was with me because she had not been nearby the whole time we had been there.

Seriously, who does that????

I really wanted to go and say something to her but I have a bit going on this week so I let it slide. I'm kicking myself for not saying something now. I always make sure that if a kid is trying to slip out of a gated play area that their parent is there, or I just don't let them come out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Parents should be watching them so it doesn't matter if they get out . Fwiw I make sure kids don't sneak through . But I feel for the kids who's parents aren't watching and they want to get out .

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (25-04-2013),threechooks  (26-04-2013),waterlily  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I would not let a small child out, but I also agree that I think it should be obvious that a parent is there supervising their child, so it shouldn't be an issue. That being said, if she didn't know you were there, she should not have let your daughter out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    Parents should be watching them so it doesn't matter if they get out . Fwiw I make sure kids don't sneak through . But I feel for the kids who's parents aren't watching and they want to get out .

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    I was watching, but she didn't know that, and frankly I would never assume that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think it's up to the parents to supervise if their children are in the play area.
    It's not always going to be possible to open one of those gates without children escaping. If a child runs out, what do you do? You can't exactly pick up someone elses child and put them back and you can't just leave your child in there until the parents of the child/ren hovering around the gate decide to come and get them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've seen that a lot at play centres.

I never let little kids out, but I'm not normally sure what the right protocol is for older kids. Often they ask to be let out, or seem quite confident about going in and out all the time - so it feels like they're used to it/ expecting to be let in and out. And at a play centre it's impossible to know who the parents are!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see anything wrong with assuming parents are supervising their kids? I'm not there to babysit/police your kids.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

JustUs3  (25-04-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (25-04-2013),NancyBlackett  (25-04-2013),Stiflers Mom  (25-04-2013),waterlily  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I've seen that a lot at play centres.

I never let little kids out, but I'm not normally sure what the right protocol is for older kids. Often they ask to be let out, or seem quite confident about going in and out all the time - so it feels like they're used to it/ expecting to be let in and out. And at a play centre it's impossible to know who the parents are!
    The thing that got me was my daughter was a meter away from the door so it could easily have been closed and the woman did not even glance sideways.

I am clearly out of step with the norm here, but I don't open the door/gate for my child if there are other kids lurking and if a kid tries to make a break for it I put myself in the way until I can get the gate closed.

I will just keep doing what I do because I don't want it on my head if a child runs onto the road while the mum is tending to another child, assuming that her kid is safe in a gated area.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've seen kids hanging at the gate and its been virtually impossible to get my children out without them escaping. Unless I physically pick them up and put them back in. My kids have done it as well but I'm always close by and watching so it doesn't really matter.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm with you SPG, I never let little kids out of the kid area at a play centre. I don't assume their parents are neglecting them though - I assume that, as with the boy I look after, they play for 2 mins and go and hover by the door, then ask to go back in 2 mins later

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

sjay  (25-04-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (25-04-2013)