+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't stand the shield. Milk goes everywhere. I'm too nervous about going out cos I can't just feed her anywhere. She often gets frustrated and rips it off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First up well done for persisting with bf as long as you have! It can be so difficult.

I had lots of the problems you mentioned and here's some ideas that helped me:

Get you bub checked for a tongue tie, I saw 4 LCs before one realised my dd has a posterior tt. It meant she could stick her tongue out but couldn't bring to the roof of her mouth very well. We had it snipped by a surgeon (it was completely traumatising but worth it) at around 8 weeks.

Try different feeding positions, I used the football hold with bub under my arm for about 4-5 months. It was a real pita as I couldn't easily feed in public. I used to feed her on a blanket while she was lying on a table at Mother's group! I'm sure all the other mums thought I was nuts.

Try to relax and not get stressed while feeding, I used to cry A LOT when i was having feeding issues and I'm sure it didn't help at all.

Calling the ABA hotline was an awesome resource for me. They were all so lovely and supportive and I always got at least one new ideas or tip to try each time I called (which was quite a lot!).

Finally I will just say that despite multiple feeding issues (including poor attachment, flat nipples, topping up with formula and more!) we eventually learnt together how to overcome our problems.

I eventually fed my daughter for 2 and a half years and for that I am so proud. It was truely the hardest thing I have ever done but so rewarding. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself it would all be ok as I was so upset by the whole thing and probably wasted so much emotional energy beating myself up.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter where your bub gets their milk from, you sound like a very caring mother who is trying her very best. Any breastmilk you give is awesome so well done

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dido For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by march2013 View Post
    I can't stand the shield. Milk goes everywhere. I'm too nervous about going out cos I can't just feed her anywhere. She often gets frustrated and rips it off.
    Trust me it will get easier! Your milk will settle down, boobs will soften and bub will get better. Just keep at it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There are different sized nipple shields. Maybe the one you have is not quite the right size for you? Another cool trick to help baby to attach is 'reverse pressure compression'. there is a brief description here https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...um/engorgement and more info here http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/r....6XQMyPCv.dpbs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was also going to suggest that maybe the shields are the wrong size. Maybe even a different brand. I've bought some avent ones this time in case I need them but a but worried as they are so much cheaper than the medela ones that they may not be as flexible. Even second time around I'm trying to be ready for anything but at least this time I know, like PP said, not to beat myself up about anything to just do my best - whatever that may be.

Also note that you only need to wash your shield in soap and water, I thought I needed to sterilise it all the time making it hard to go out. I would also drape a waffle/snuggle blanket over me just for the whole shield-on-bub-on process then she'd usually pull it off once she was feeding anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update: attached for 10 minutes came off and I got her to reattach. I've beaten my record of 10 mins yesterday yay!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to march2013 For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Milk went everywhere as it would leak out underneath shield when she moved or ripped it off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for everyone's tips! Everything helps!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    is bub not attatching because ur engorged when u go to feed? hand/manual pump expressing a bitt off will soften ur boob so bubs can grip it better.
    r u topping bub up with formula? try using emb - the stuff u express off before a feed is full of nutriients.
    some bubs will take to both breast and bottle but its important u get attatchment sorted out before u go onto a bottle.
    Goodluck sound like youre doing great! if u have a really good milk supply going on, bubs must be getting a fair bit from you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's clicked! Now she won't stop! Do I limit a feed or just keep going? Is it because she's still learning?