+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Actually yes . I didn't necessarily connect the two until I read your post.

My 2 year old started stuttering quite dramatically around the time DS2 arrived.

It lasted only a few weeks to a month or so. Bubs is 3 months now and the stutter is gone, back to normal 2 year old chatter, his language is really good. He did have a bit of a vocab explosion at the same time so not sure if it was that or the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS started stuttering a bit starting when he was 2.5 years (exactly) and it wasn't due to the arrival of a sibling or any significant life event at all. From a quick Google I read that it is common for 2.5 year olds in particular to stutter - as a PP said their brains are processing things faster than they can spit the words out, poor darlings! I think it frustrates him a bit. I've noticed it can be worse when he's tired/excited/upset. Overall, it's been almost a month since I first noticed it and it does seem to be getting better and not worse so I'm not concerned. I'd be keeping an eye on it but rest assured that it is very normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Developmental stuttering goes in cycles. They have the first episodes at around 2.5 yrs that coincide with a language explosion and generally look like its resolving a few months later. Sometimes it comes back, when another language bang happens, and sometimes it doesn't.
    A speech path won't use a behavioral program like Lidcombe on a 2.5 yr old child, they haven't got the brain power for it. Management guidelines indicate that a stutter without accompanying risk factors go untreated for 12 months to see if it resolves itself. Risk factors are time since onset (later is worse eg starting at 4 instead of 3), any family history of stuttering, child's age eg 5+, any co-occurring problems such as language or cognitive impairment, and severity of symptoms. Word reps and sound reps like I,I,I or would would would aren't severe. Blocking behaviour where the word is 'stuck' and re hold can't force it out 'b.......lock' is severe.
    There's many years until stuttering becomes ingrained. Usually past the age of 7 there'll be no response to behavioral treatment and other modifications to speech have to be used.
    I'm a speech path and my almost 4yo has a developmental stutter. He's been stuttering since he was 2.5. He starts treatment in July, when he'll be most responsive. It's all good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear Decemberbubba

Reading your post is like it was written about our little lad. Our 2yo DS developed a severe stammer about 10 days ago, about 2 months after the arrival of our latest DS. As you've described, he's throwing more tantrums, and a bit more out of sorts occasionally. He's still mainly really good but his moody side has been a bit more apparent. His stammer appeared out of nowhere and is really severe at times. I just wondered how your DS has got on over the last few months as our anxiety levels are through the roof!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DD 2.5 yo did the exact same thing, my twin girls arrived six weeks ago and they were eight weeks prem and I was in hospital for a while and then travelling to the hospital everyday. I noticed she had developed a bit of a stutter but once we came home and things went back to normal it has gone away. I just put it down to a major change in her life which caused her brain to have difficulty processing things but now she is more chatty then ever

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Proudpoppa View Post
    Dear Decemberbubba

Reading your post is like it was written about our little lad. Our 2yo DS developed a severe stammer about 10 days ago, about 2 months after the arrival of our latest DS. As you've described, he's throwing more tantrums, and a bit more out of sorts occasionally. He's still mainly really good but his moody side has been a bit more apparent. His stammer appeared out of nowhere and is really severe at times. I just wondered how your DS has got on over the last few months as our anxiety levels are through the roof!
    Hi proudpoppa - DS1's stutter resolved itself after a couple of months It was quite bad for about a month - he could barely get a word out, then progressively got better and better and was gone after about 2 months. He's now 2.5 and his speech has really taken off. I just tried to ignor the stutter and not finish his sentances for him, I didn't want to make a big deal about it. Hopefully it is just a phase for you LO.