+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2yo stuttering since arrival of new baby

Since DS1 was born 11 days ago, 2yo DS2 has developed a significant stutter. He can barely seem to get a word out without stuttering. He's adjusted pretty well to DS2, but has definately shown a bit of regression in his behaviour and is a bit out of sorts. He's getting frustrated very easily and throwing lots more tantrums - which I kind of expected, but the stuttering has thrown me a bit! Has anyone else's LO done this after the arrival of a newbie?

Thanks
    Reviews
    December from what I know (not much) stuttering can commonly occur in children aged 3-4 and it will generally go away within a few months unless it is something serious.
    Age 2 I am not sure but I would be seeking professional advice just incase.
    My friends daughter (almost 4) also developed a stutter when her younger sibling was about 6 weeks old, he is now 10 weeks old and she still stutters but it is being monitored and the dr is just waiting until 3 months has passed before he takes an further steps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would suggest getting him into speech therapy - ideally a centre that targets stuttering. While some parents report their children's stutter will spontaneously recover, often this is not the case. The best results for therapy are seen when the child is still preschool aged and the closest to onset as possible.

My son had a stutter, and I am currently studying speech therapy (have recently finished my stuttering prac!). There are good results for therapy, but this is something I would suggest you don't take the 'wait and see' approach with. If it persists into school age treatment will likely not be as successful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds had a stutter for a while about 2. It is quite common as sometimes their brains process faster than their mouths can get the words out. He grew out of it.

If you are worried you could ask the chn when you see them with bub

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and regarding the stuttering starting with the birth of a new sibling- it is sometimes the case that a life event can spur on the stutter, but it would not have been the cause of it. He likely already had a weakness in his speech motor system, as is the case for all people who stutter. Also, the birth of the new sibling has coincidentally coincided with the age bracket most stuttering begins (2.5 - 3.5 years old). Don't blame yourself for inflicting your child with a new sibling that has caused him to stutter- it's not the case

Hope this is making sense, I am on my phone and ds is jumping around over so it is difficult to get my message across!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS had some stuttering a little after the birth of his brother. I continued enough for me to get a little concerned and I was close to making an appt.
    his stuttering resolved itself. For us, we knew it was due to his brain processing faster than he could speak or form words.
    Was he just starting to really chat and increase his vocab etc? If you feel it may be because he is trying to find the correct words to convey what he wants, perhaps wait a little to see if it resolves. If you believe it was purely due to a new sibling coming I would suggest seeing a speechie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies everyone. We have a few midwife/ dr appointments in the next week, so I will make sure I bring it up.

DS's speach has really taken off in the last month, and it does seem like his brain is working faster than his mouth can, will definately get it checked out though.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Most speechies won't treat a child at 2.5. It's too young. DS developed a stutter at 2.5 and stuttered on and off, had some therapy at 4 years before starting school. At times it was severe and would come and go. You can pay a lot to see a private therapist or get a referral from your GP to go on the government waiting list (which is usually pretty long). I would give them to 3.5 to grow out of it...In my experience the Lidcombe program would be too hard to use with most 2 year olds anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my 2yo is doing the same atm and hes a second child. No significant things have happened. I figure its just a phase although I will be keeping an eye in it. he does things like 'you,you,you got sore leg' or 'I, I, I, go wees in toilet'. Just keep an eye on it, I highly doubt its because of the babys arrival.

Thanks
    Reviews
    M