+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leniliasads View Post

I am in sydney nsw.
    Here is the number to call -
    NSW Early Childhhood Education and Care Directorate, Department of Education and Communities
    1800 619 113 or fax 02 8633 1810

Link - http://acecqa.gov.au/ContactUs.aspx?pid=407&gcpid=345

Let us know how you get on.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

PinkSmarties  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read the other replies and I'm sure there has been lots of constructive advice given.

If it were me and my child, I would be looking for another centre to send your son to. You aren't going to win with this other kid in the room. she has no diagnosis and it seems that she isn't going to get one any time soon. So no prospect of 1 on 1 care or supervision for her. This sort of thing is just going to keep on happening as the staff aren't going to be able to stop it.

I'm so sorry to hear about what has happened to your boy . I would be very worried about how the influence of this girl will effect him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow, op I am so sorry you have had such a horrible experience!

As a mum, and ex childcare room leader I'm mortified by your post.

It is against every law and regulation they abide by (or are meant to) to point out, name or discuss this other child. Very unprofessional!

They have a duty of care to your son, and adequate effective supervision is one of the main ways to uphold this.

They shouldn't have changed the form, or told you this happened... why!? Its beyond me. And illegal.

Yes funding can take a while and if the girls parent its laughing it off it would be frustrating, maybe they need to try a different approach! Any parent I approached was more than happy to oblidge? And some children sound similar to this girl.

While I can empathise with the staff being stretched to their limits by this girl, and exhausted, I would be removing my son asap as its no excuse and not good enough.

I'm not sure of their policies, but they should have one on confidentiality, and also one on first aid/injuries that should state what action be taken. there should also be one on grieviences and complaints, and all of these should be available for you to access as you please (the places I worked all had the centre policies in the foyer for parents) it its a very basic requirement for then to become accredited.

They should have called you asap after he hit his head.

I don't think you can get them to pay your medical bills unless you take legal action, but they sound like the kind of centre who would deny what you have been told and manipulate their records. I would have a read of their grievience policy and see how you can handle complaints to get yourself heard. Theres usually a hierarchy... E.g. staff, director, management, owner, accreditation/licensing.

Maybe if you read these and gerty some advice you could stand there and argued your point, they may waive the 2 weeks notice?

I really hope your poor ds is ok.
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 25-04-2013 at 09:06.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow!!!
    Firstly, apologies, i haven't read all responses. Sorry if I repeat what others have said.
    Secondly, sorry for the long reply.
    There are so many issues with this post, I feel the centre has let you and your child down immensely.
    I work in early childhood and this is really disgusting. At my centre, a parent would have been called immediately, as we do with any injury ( as a courtesy- no one wants to walk into pick their child up and be told they were injured hours earlier. Also gives the parent opportunity to collect them if they want or make necessary decisions re: Dr).
    I know the routine time you are referring to, after lunch the children are encouraged to use the bathroom, before rest/ quiet time begins. There should always be a staff member in the bathroom- where the majority of children are, to supervise.
    If the staff thought your child required medical attention, you should have been called, an accident report detailing the incident should be written and given to you. They should also have notified the department and provided you with the accident report to take to the dr, to show your child was under the care of someone else when the injury occurred.

Is the centre privately owned?
    Have you got copies of their policies/ procedures to ensure they were followed?
    JMHO I would be requesting a meeting with the director/ owner to discuss the issues you have raised and pending the outcome of that I would seriously consider looking for alternative care for your child.
    Best of luck, feel free to pm me if you need any further assistance

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have anything to add that PP's haven't said, but that is awful & so very wrong on the centre's behalf for so so many reasons.

Hope your DS is OK

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummtime101 View Post
    I would be disgusted that I wasn't called immediately if my child had been hurt like that. I would ring and complain not only to the centre manger but much higher than that. Possibly I would remove him and find a new daycare as well. Obviously the girls mum is going to do nothing. If she isn't even concerned for her own child why would she be for someone else's kid.

This is true. I will be finding a new daycare, making a complaint and taking it as far as i can. Honestly words cannot describe this women. I understand she may be under alot of stress from her work and her 12 year old, having never had nor looked after a child with any type of disbility or disorder i cannot judge how she does things, but she is simply sweeping it under the rug and not seeming to not care about her child or others in the process ;(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your child needs to see a dentist (preferably a paediatric dentist) find an emergency one if you can. The injuries need to be documented and X-rays taken if possible. He may lose those mobile teeth early (depending on the severity) and occassionally (rarely - dont want to scare you but does happen) it can damage the underlying adult teeth. Panadol, nurofen (pain relief suitable for your child) is important and a soft diet. Dont give him anything hard it is only going to cause him pain and keep the teeth mobile. PM me if you have any questions. I'm in the industry... as for the childcare - lack of care side of things, cant really help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone! Just wanted to thank each and every one of you for all your replies and input! Also to update.

The centre has just been taken over at tge beginning of the year,, it is privately owned.

I had a meeting with the centre manager and the director last week (sorry for the late reply!) We disscussed the girl and she has been placed in the next room up (4-5 year olds) she apparently has more care and supervision in this room and is moee suited to her.
    My sons teacher felt so bad at the situation, she stayed back 2 hours past her shift ending to explain what happened and how. It turns out there is anothrr boy in his class that does have autism that previous owners did not pick up on, his teacher had turned to put this child down to bed whilst comforting him, had watched him go to the bathroom and missed the girl going into the bathroom as the room leader had just been dealing with her/another issue - she respected confidentiality and did not mention her name/incident (my son is very independant and relies on his routine of eat,toilet rest, he was finished eating and went to go to the bathroom) and was confident my son would do as he did everyday and jumo straight into bed(first one asleep last one awake he is!) She felt awful and was nearly in tears, the room leader had assessed him and apparently did not notice any dental issues and thought he had just bitten his tounge, overid this teacher and allowed him to go to bed once calmed. Once he had awoken anr went to eat his teeth hurt and the teacher insisted management be told and i contacted, at which point i was.

So, all the teachers and room leaders had to stay back on monday from close till late unpaid to discuss incident and review supervision requirements. The room leader will be dismissed, the girl has been moved and director has assured that this will never happen again, to give him a couple of weeks to get things sorted and see how my son goes which i hage decided to do.

There is also from next week going to be an assistant in the room for the care and one on one with the autistic boh for his development and support.

Also, i pulled the mother aside to tell her only what my son had told me what had happened. She seemed annoyed and upset that yet another thing had happened with her daughter. I asked her if she had any tests or hearing tests done, apparently she has and they found nothing wrong. I have been paying close attention to the girl of late and personally now do not think there is a disability there she is just an incredibly intelligent girl below her knowledge and is bored and

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Glad to hear you got an explanation of what happened and they seem to be dealing with some of the issues.

I personally would still run a mile as they are telling you a tonne of stuff about other kids that you are in no way entitled to know. Have they ever heard of confidentiality? If they are telling you all this stuff, you can guarantee they are telling other parents things about you/your DS as well. Be careful...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

leniliasads  (08-05-2013)