Just needing some help/advice on an injury my son sustained today at daycare.
This is a LONG post
Bit of background:
A new girl has started in my sons room (3-4 year olds). The girl has been there for about 3 weeks and in my opinion has a social disability or severe problems at home. She is influencing all the children in the room, and requires constant one on one care (which the centre cannot provide). Some example of behaviour;
- Hit/pushed my son when i picked him up and was holding him because he said "my mum" (about me) and then after hitting him, turned around and pushed another child into the fence
- picked up and tipped a table nearly injuring another child
- Frequent tantrums
- No sleep
- constantly eats off the ground
- lies on the floor
- kicks,bites and scratches staff and othed children
- her mother slapped her on ths face for eating food off the ground (at daycare!!)
- grabs ahold of other kids parents and wont let go
She is a fairly tall and solid girl, and is extremely heavy, i was picking up my son the other day and she pushed through the gate go be let out and i couldnt get her back in. There are alot of incidents that have happened just over the past 3 weeks, too many to list.
Anyway after noticing a huge personality change in my child and others, i asked at school what wS different, i aS gjven the answer of this girls arrival. The room teachers explained that they were documenting all incidents to go over with the mother and make the decision to have her tested. Her mother when told about any of these things laughs it off and quite frankly shes seems a little off. The teachers explained that because of the unstableness of this girl someone had ti be with her at all times to prevent her from injuring herself or others. The dag care has not provided an extra staff member for this.
The incident... I received a call frkm the school today at 2.45 from the manager telling me that my son had an accident in the bathroom (he is 3) and that no one was supervising in there, when ghe teacher went in he was on the floor holding his face crying. He had "fallen over" and hurt himself. She told me he was then given an ice pack and put to bed. When he woke up she checked the injury and notjce dried blood on his teeth and said he wasnt eating afternoon tea but icecream instead. I asked her if there was any injury to his actual teeth she replied "no it doesnt look like it, just like his gums". My son is in the faze of saying "he hurt me" but never replies with a name when questioned only "my friends" (if that makes sense), i asked why he wasnt being supervised considering it was after lunch and all the children eere asked to go to the bathroom prior to rest time to which she replied " we were all in the room". I also asked who else was jn the bathroom as he couldnt have just fallen over , i got the reply no one else. thought easy enough accidents happened and since he was fine then told her i would be in to see her soon. At the end of the conversation she quickly mentioned " your sons says *insert girls name* pushed him but you know the faze he is going through" thats what got me thinking, he never says who has hurt him - ever!!
Fast forward to me picking hin up (nearly finsihed i swear!!) I see my sons mouth, ths bottom lip is split open and blue, his two front teeth are all bloody and one is loose!! I read thd report and states "accident not witnessed child found in bathroom alone, jnjured first aid given." His teeth werd out of his gums!! I looked at the tine of jncident 11.50am. It took them nearly 3 hourz to realise such an injury should be told to me. Manager wasnt there, i was then informed on the downlow that this girl was found in the bathroom with him, the report was written with this in it until manager spoke to me, when it was then changed to the kne i recieved.
I need advice/opinions on the following;
- the girls conditikn is unknown as yet (need to get parental permission for testing) and i was assured during the same phone call when i asked the manager what was happening with her, that she was under constant supervision. Why was i told she was not in the room with my son, when she was (other rokms teacher had said she was off the record) without supervvision
- Are all children supposed to be inviewing range if teachers?
- my son, another child and a teacher had all said thus girl had phshed him, and the manager lied and said she wasnt
- what can I do?? Dentists were closed this evenjng anf will have to take him the the dental hospital tomorrow, I have taken photos of the injury and got a doctor report of the injury and advising us to see a dentist. What would be my rights in this matter?
Sorry for long long post, spelling mistakes and anything that doesnt make sense. Im kn my phone and extremely angry!!
Any help/comments/advice is greatly appreciated!!