+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Formula Thickener for Silent Reflux

Hi all, quick Q. Is feed thickener effective for silent reflux? my 8 week old has what appears to be silent reflux. Is this best for general reflux i.e keeping feed down to stop chucking or does it somehow assist with silent reflux/heartburn also? I imagine keeping the feed down will stop it flowing back up into the oesophegas but am not sure how it works. Also what teats work best for thickened formula. I have avent bottles with 2 hole teats. Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Made it worse for my ds. Because it was thicker it would come up but take longer to go down so burnt for longer.i found infant gaviscon and mylanta helped when the medication wasn't working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! Can you safely give Mylanta or Infant Gaviscon to a 2 month old?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son was only about 2 weeks older when we were told to use the mylanta so you should be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My paed told me to get infant gaviscon sachets for my baby at 5 weeks old, so it must be fine. Also you can buy teats that are for thicker feeds in Avent... I didn't use them but I saw them on the shelf. I've also used regular adult gaviscon which was easier to administer, rsther than putting in the bottle as my bub didn't drink the whole bottle. Use a syringe to give it. Check with your doctor, but I could give my baby 0.5mls twice a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our paed recommended to give 1 ml of mylanta if it was really bad and this was on top of the prescribed meds and infant gaviscon. I think because they all work differently. The meds reduced the amount of acid produced by the body. The gaviscon helped to neutralise any acid that was still produced and the mylanta helped to keep it down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was prescribed Losec but I also used Karicare Thickener with my breast milk and formula. I found the actual prescribed amount of thickener was way too thick and would only use half a scoop which was really effective for us. I just used the medium flow teats (closer to nature). Good luck