+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sweet Poison - Success anyone?

Hi All,

I've just read David Gillespies 'Sweet Poison' and 'Sweet Poison Quit Plan'. I'm stoked to get started 1st May with quitting sugar. I'm a huge addict and haven't been able to go a day without a large amount of chocolate.

Anyone had success with quitting sugar? How did your story go, did you struggle or find it easy?

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My friend has done it, he did really well. He says it is really difficult the first month, but after awhile you become so used to not having sugar that even having an apple becomes too much.

I want to try it as well, but man I love chocolate.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (24-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh, Chocolate is my biggest downfall!! I seriously crave it and get very nasty when I can't have it so I actually really believe it's an addiction. I don't want to be like that so I think it's best I try do something to give it up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a success story. I'm going on 12 mths sugar free and I lost 7kg without even trying. I'm pregnant now and I know my weight gain will be optimal for the baby and nothing more. I say go for it, expect setbacks but remember that you're fighting an addiction, and sugar isn't a reward or a privilege, it's a poison. Good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (24-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marepoppin View Post
    I'm a success story. I'm going on 12 mths sugar free and I lost 7kg without even trying. I'm pregnant now and I know my weight gain will be optimal for the baby and nothing more. I say go for it, expect setbacks but remember that you're fighting an addiction, and sugar isn't a reward or a privilege, it's a poison. Good luck

Do you find it easy now? Like were the first few months really hard now it's just second nature? Or is it an every day battle?

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I quit sugars for a long time although for me that was a bi-product of being on a high protein diet.
    I found that after the first week or two I didn't crave sugar anymore and I also didn't crave things like white bread etc. (complex carbs). It was awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried and failed..
    I eat so much chocolate.. Yesterday was a block. and after it I always so no more! But wake up wanting it again.

What do u do when u have the craving? Do u distract yourself? Go for a walk or something.. Need tips on getting past the cravings!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have cravings because I don't have an addiction, it really is that straightforward. I don't like it now, it tastes yucky and gives me headaches. I don't actually eat a lot of food in general, only eat 3 times a day, because my appetite control system that tells me when I'm full is tuned properly now, which doesn't happen when you eat sugar. I can't eat more than what will fit, there's just no room!
    It's tough. It took me at least 3 months to break the addiction and come out the other side of withdrawal. Every time you give in, you add another 3 days to the withdrawal process. That's how long it takes your body to overcome that shot of sugar.
    When you have a sugar craving, eat a little something that doesn't have sugar in it. A slice of ham, or some cheese, or some olives, or a small packet of chips, some celery, a glass of milk. Drink a glass of water. Go for a walk, watch some tv.
    It's important to break the habit as well as the addiction. Say you always have chocolate when you sit down to watch tv at 8pm when the kids are in bed. Next time, have a handful of nuts. Or have just a water. Once you break the association, the habit breaks. The habit breaking makes the addiction weaker. Take it on in small steps.
    READ the book. Sweet Poison Quit Plan is your best friend. You need this info; you need to KNOW why you are changing in order to be changed.
    All of you can do it. It's a choice. It's like smoking; you can choose to stop smoking, you can choose to stop heroin, for example, but you need information and support and to recognise its hard because its addiction. Keep trying

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I quit sugar on jan 1 and am 5 or 6 kg down. It's actually my third time stopping sugar, but even when I've fallen off I've been more 'sugar aware'

Hubby hasn't cut sugar completely but has drastically reduced his intake and is 7kg down in 10 months

It's a huge eye opener and a wonderful thing to do. You'll eventually find 'bland' foods actually taste pretty good.

Best of luck!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to peasmum For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I need to do this..I am a chocolate and Coke lover..eat /drink far too much of these...going to look into this more....