+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is she dropping a sleep?

So my DD has just turned 15mths, she was a dreadful sleeper, then at 7mths I had a sleep consultant come in and she has been fairly to very good sleeping 6:30-6 and two sleeps a day of 2.5hrs in total, until recently....

She is still sleeping at night (majority of the time) and is happy to go for her first sleep at about 9/9:30, but the second sleep usually at 2 isn't happening. She is currently in her cot rubbing her eyes, not crying, just yelling at me off and on!!

What I'm wondering is when did your little drop to one sleep and how did you go about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    6 months for one, 7 months the other. My son is 15 months, sleeps 10 -11 hours overnight, with wakings, and has a nap of 1 to 1.5 hours. Your daughter could well be ready to combine her day sleeps into just one. I never had to change things, my kids just did it. General advice I have read is to start pushing out the morning nap until it is around lunchtime. Some days, DS has lunch before sleep, some days it is after.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was on 1 day sleep from 12 months. She woke about 7am and slept from midday til 2pm. She was tired for a while but handles 1 sleep really well now. Just takes a while, during the transition some days she was extra tired and still needed 2 sleeps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleo77 For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I hope you don't mind me tagging a question to your thread because I was about to come on to BubHub and ask a question on the one nap a day thing. However it does sound like your little one is ready for a one day sleep routine! Congrats!

Anyway like I said, OP, hope you don't mind me gatecrashing this thread. A few weeks ago I was here asking for advice on going down to one nap a day. Anyway I have been pushing bub's morning nap later and later and keeping the afternoon nap really short, like half an hour and I do think bub is ready to go down to one big sleep a day. But I have a rather stupid question.

Say bub is on one nap only and the nap gets interrupted, do you then attempt to get them to sleep again in the afternoon? Or is that it till bed time?? Sorry if it's a dumb question! I've just been wondering about this for a while. The reason I ask is because where we live there's construction across the road and sometimes it does wake bub up. Another thing is, he usually does 2 hours or more, but occassionally does a "short" 1.5 hour morning sleep... Just the thought of having no second sleep as a back up freaks me out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and another thing! I read somewhere that the average age that babies drop to one nap per day is 15 months so sounds like your DD is spot on!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to moosemousse For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moosemousse View Post
    Hi, I hope you don't mind me tagging a question to your thread because I was about to come on to BubHub and ask a question on the one nap a day thing. However it does sound like your little one is ready for a one day sleep routine! Congrats!

Anyway like I said, OP, hope you don't mind me gatecrashing this thread. A few weeks ago I was here asking for advice on going down to one nap a day. Anyway I have been pushing bub's morning nap later and later and keeping the afternoon nap really short, like half an hour and I do think bub is ready to go down to one big sleep a day. But I have a rather stupid question.

Say bub is on one nap only and the nap gets interrupted, do you then attempt to get them to sleep again in the afternoon? Or is that it till bed time?? Sorry if it's a dumb question! I've just been wondering about this for a while. The reason I ask is because where we live there's construction across the road and sometimes it does wake bub up. Another thing is, he usually does 2 hours or more, but occassionally does a "short" 1.5 hour morning sleep... Just the thought of having no second sleep as a back up freaks me out!
    I think it depends on your child and the kind of day they're having.

My DS is now almost 18 months. He is on 1 sleep but if it is cut short and he starts behaving tired and cranky I offer him an afternoon nap. Sometimes he'll nap, sometimes he'll chat/sing and done times he flat out refuses to be in his cot. If he refuses I get him up and we just do our best until bedtime. If he's struggling he just goes to bed earlier that night.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

moosemousse  (25-04-2013),MrsSS  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moosemousse View Post

Don't be silly, the more questions the better I think!!! I have been wondering the same thing.

Today I thought I would try the push her first sleep back.... So 10:45 I put her down, she only slept till 12:15! So I got her up, and she was fine till about 3 when I decided to put her down again and that just wasn't happening. She laid still for 10 mins then played up grizzling etc so she is up... We are about to have a bath and bed at 6.

Like the post above said, I like to give "quiet" time in her cot, I think it does help having them just having some sort of rest. So, your little one being woken up in the afternoon might still be getting the rest he needs.

It's so hard isn't it? We have a casual day at daycare tomorrow so I'm wondering do I tell them one or two sleeps?!

Does everyone's little one sleep through the majority of nights?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Both mine were around 12 months when they went to one sleep.

I remember my daughter kept her morning nap, but wouldn't sleep in afternoon, then it was a nightmare to stretch her to the middle of the day for her nap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 15mths and I think she is humming and harring about whether its time for just 1 day nap. I still put her down for 2, but most days she sleeps for 1 nap and has quiet time for the other, I found without at least an hour of quiet time in her cot, whether it be for the morning or afternooon sleep she can't quite cope until either the next nap or bedtime! So I don't think she is quite ready to go down to just one!

In regards to resettleing if woken up early... I generally do depending on how long she's had already

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Both mine were around 12 months when they went to one sleep.

I remember my daughter kept her morning nap, but wouldn't sleep in afternoon, then it was a nightmare to stretch her to the middle of the day for her nap.
    This is exactly what's happening at our house! Glad it seems to be the norm.