+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ebm questions

Hi guys
    Not sure if this is in the right section. My daughter Lilly is nearly 5 weeks old and I've started expressing breast milk to give her. I planned on exclusively breast feeding her from the breast but she has completely trashed my nipples due to not attaching properly. We saw the chn yesterday and she's shown me how to attach her correctly but I have to wait for my nipples to heal.

So my questions are

How do you store your ebm ?

What do you store it in ?

How much ebm should I be giving Lilly at each feed ?

I'm expressing around 200mls each time she's due for a feed.

The chn also said I was feeding her too much because she'd vomit up half of what I have her and that Lilly is using me as a dummy (she won't take a dummy) and that I was getting her hungry signs and tired signs mixed up hence the over feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maybenumber3 View Post
    Hi guys
    Not sure if this is in the right section. My daughter Lilly is nearly 5 weeks old and I've started expressing breast milk to give her. I planned on exclusively breast feeding her from the breast but she has completely trashed my nipples due to not attaching properly. We saw the chn yesterday and she's shown me how to attach her correctly but I have to wait for my nipples to heal.

So my questions are

How do you store your ebm ?

What do you store it in ?

How much ebm should I be giving Lilly at each feed ?

I'm expressing around 200mls each time she's due for a feed.

The chn also said I was feeding her too much because she'd vomit up half of what I have her and that Lilly is using me as a dummy (she won't take a dummy) and that I was getting her hungry signs and tired signs mixed up hence the over feeding.
    I exclusively expressed for dd for a long timeand this is how I did it... Storage and feeds wise.
    I used to express and freeze in exact amounts for feeds. If I had spare. You can keep ebm in the freezer for several months. I would write the date and time on the packet. Therefore I only needed to defrost exact feeds and not waste any. I would pull out the frozen milk and put in fridge every time I used up another milk for a feed. If I didn't, I would put in warm water to defrost. I used breast milk storage packets but you can use ordinary zip lock bags.
    If I expressed and it was fresh and I would put in fridge in bottles ready for a feed. Ebm is fine in the fridge for several days...you can find all that info on the ABA website. Ebm is also okay out of the fridge for 4-6 hours if it's fresh...so I would take a fresh bottle out with me if I was at the shops or something.
    As for how much...I'm not sure if you are breast feeding a feed or two, what is the recommended amount, but volume wise it's worked out as...
    Baby's weight multiplied by 150. That's total volume for the day, then divide by how many feeds should give you a rough idea of how much to offer..
    Eg. Baby weighs 4kgs...so 4 x 150= 600. So 600mls in 24 hours. Say you're doing 6 feeds, that's 100mls per feed.
    I hope that's helpful! And you heal up really soon!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (24-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks tamtam !

The chn wants me to do 7 feeds per day. I've worked it out to 120ml per feed.

I've been putting it in little tupperware containers in the fridge but I'll start putting it in zip lock bags in the freezer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I found zip,lock bags easy...just throw out after. I know some use the sterilized bags, I did but I honestly don't think it particularly matters. 120mls sounds pretty good. I always was told to offer a bit more than the minimum... But I hated wasting it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree with tamtam. As for the sterilised bags, the ABA states that for a healthy term baby that there is no need to sterilise bottles etc.

As for what the MCHN told you about over feeding her, totally ridiculous. You can't over feed a breastfed baby. And as long as it isn't bothering you there is no reason not to allow her to use you as a dummy. Any stimulation is great for your supply.

Trust your instincts.

You may already know this but if you put some breastmilk on your nipples and allow them to air dry it helps with healing. You can also use Lansinoh cream on them as you don't need to wipe it off before feeds.

Hope your nipples heal quickly for you and your breastfeeding journey is smooth sailing from here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (24-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks

The only reason it bothers me letting her feed all the time is that she just vomits it all back up as soon as she's drank it and it really seems to upset her. I've been using the lansinoh cream which had been helping, I've also been going topless at home to let my breasts air and dry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been expressing most mornings. I then freeze it in a thoroughly cleaned (not sterilized) ice cube tray as I tend to get about 160ml. After they have frozen I then put the cubes in a zip lock bag and put it in the deep freezer. I don't tend to use the ebm much except for when I go out and leave DS with DP or someone. That's only because I don't express feeds.

I hope that made sense. I've found that breast feeding makes my brain more funky than being pregnant did. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smidget3004 For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (24-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nipples recover pretty quickly (once baby is attaching better), and introducing bottles at this stage might actually worsen any attachment problems. Nipple shields might be a better option if your nipples really need a break. YOur MCHN doesn't sound that breastfeeding friendly. Maybe give the ABA a call (1800 686 268) or find a local lactation consultant.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (24-04-2013)