+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    wow! crazy stories thanks ladies. Looks like I'll have to have a think about it and have a chat to my doctor next week. I suppose I've still got a lot of time to make a decision. It's an internal battle at the moment -- have a baby in a foreign country without family, vs stay in Aus for potentially 2 months prior to birth without DH. Neither are appealing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did Perth to London and back earlier this pregnancy. My Ob was fine with it, just recommended what pp said - loads of water, full length travel stockings and getting up at least once an hour. I would have reconsidered if I had any DVT risks.

I accidentally fell asleep on the long leg and slept solid for 7 hours! I've never done that before on a flight. I felt so guilty as obviously I hadn't had anything to drink or moved at all during that time. Made it go quick though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Airlines having changed the laws for international flighte apparently you have to be 32 weeks and domestic flighte wre 36. I would ring the airlines. My friend named needed to find out due to needing to fly and thats what they told her.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 28 weeks and had gone to Europe and back twice this pregnancy. It is fine, just check the deadlines for flying with the airline that you will use. As pp said, limits seem to be around 28 weeks for international (need a letter after 26 weeks) and 32 weeks for national.. but it may vary with the different airlines.

About your choices... I would give birth in the place where (1) your partner is; and, (2) where you live. I am not Australian but my husband is here and I live here, it makes sense to me to me to give birth here so my husband can be part of the final stages of the pregnancy and I am sure that he will be with me for the birth... even though I would have loved to be next to my family in Europe My friend, on the other hand, went back to her family to have her first son... and everything worked well but her partner was able of travelling with her so he too could participte in the last months of pregnancy.

Good luck with whatever you choose

Thanks
    Reviews
    I flew to the UK at 32 weeks, latest I could fly international. I didn't have a problem getting travel insurance, I wanted to be insured in case I ended up giving birth on the stop over. I got a note from my doc saying I was fit to fly and hadn't had any problems. Wore compression stockings. If you have had an uncomplicated pregnancy I wouldn't worry too much

Is this first bub? What country will you be giving birth in if you stay in Europe? Can a family member (say mum?) fly out to be with you. I would really have struggled being away from my husband when I gave birth but its a really personal decision

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll be in Germany. Husband will be back in Aus for the birth assuming bub comes on time, it's just the time leading up to it that he will still be in Germany. Yup first one. I'm pretty sure my parents will fly over if we need to stay here. It's just not my first choice. I suppose I'll wait and see how the rest of the pregnancy goes. Only 6.5 weeks at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only flew shorter legs in my second trimester, but I was fine, just the usual flying discomfort.

But even if you choose and plan to fly back here 2 mons before your due date I would still plan birthing options there. I delivered 3.5 months early unexpectedly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I flew KLM at 33, returning at 35 weeks with my 2 year old. From Darwin to Edinburgh, Scotland. Biggest flight was 13 hours, total travel about 24 hours.

Apart from the obvious discomfort of being massively pregnant it was fine, and I'd do it again.

Edited to add: this was only in August 2012. I did have a medical certificate but not once was I asked for it.
    Last edited by Uh-Oh; 26-04-2013 at 21:39.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Uh-Oh For This Useful Post:

MrsDL  (27-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would fly back without DH and just spend the last bit of pregnancy by myself. I would feel more comfortable giving birth in my home country and wouldn't want to get stuck. You said DH would be home in time for the births I that's what I would do.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to goldencrumble For This Useful Post:

MrsDL  (27-04-2013)