+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauzy83 View Post
    I often wonder why smoking while pregnant is such a big debate, yet drinking isn't?

I watched the show on ABC about smoking while pregnant too. Pretty disturbing! Most of them smoked in their houses too.
    I think if it's somebody drinking regularly then it's as big an issue. But one glass at a wedding through your whole pregnancy is probably not going to cause harm and they are proving more and more in studies that is the case.

I guess with everything it's all about how much and how often you are doing it. If you told me you had one or two cigarettes your whole pregnancy because you were stressed I'd probably understand, but if you told me you were smoking regularly every day I'd probably judge, especially if you said you don't think smoking causes harm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    You smoke, you are killing yourself and you could die and awful early death and leave your children without a mother. You even quit and chose to take it up again. I judge that. I don't think you have the right to be so judgemental and harsh about women smoking, pregnant or not.

I am on again of again smoker - so I have no right to judge others about smoking, but I will judge those who judge others about smoking when they smoke themselves.

It makes no sense.
    I have the right to an opinion thank you.

I know smoking is bad and I have said in previous posts I don't understand why I keep going back I wish I was stronger . I had quit for 4 years at one stage then someone close to me died of cancer and I started smoking again (WTF I know) when my second son was about 1 , then quit again 4 months later to TTC my 3rd and started smoking again when I had a molar pregnancy March last year when my youngest was 18 months and only just quit smoking a month ago to start TTC.

I would judge me to as being a hypocrite if I smoked while pregnant but I don't and that is the topic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauzy83 View Post
    I often wonder why smoking while pregnant is such a big debate, yet drinking isn't?

I watched the show on ABC about smoking while pregnant too. Pretty disturbing! Most of them smoked in their houses too.
    Haha start a thread on drinking while pregnant here and you'll see what a debate it can be.

But generally yes, it's not as widely discussed I guess.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-04-2013),Lauzy83  (25-04-2013),upforroundtwo  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    I don't understand why I keep going back I wish I was stronger .
    This, you just said it. This is exactly what most of the smoking mothers on here are saying.

When you smoke, the toxins are still on you when you go back in the house. You can try and make it seem like smoking isn't affecting your children. But it is, and if you die, it will affect them more.

This is just my opinion, no more or less valid than yours.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (25-04-2013),atomicmama  (25-04-2013),Atropos  (25-04-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I judge those who don't even attempt to quit.

I was a pack a day smoker when I fell pregnant, and although it took me longer than I would've liked, I had cut down and totally quit by the end of my first trimester.

DS is now 9 months old and I still struggle with cravings, everytime someone smokes near me or something stressful happens, I want to light up so badly!

I was the worse kind I smoker, and I figure if I can quit, anyone can. We owe it to our babies to at least try!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This, you just said it. This is exactly what most of the smoking mothers on here are saying.

When you smoke, the toxins are still on you when you go back in the house. You can try and make it seem like smoking isn't affecting your children. But it is, and if you die, it will affect them more.

This is just my opinion, no more or less valid than yours.
    Yes and this I know, I'm my worst critic when it comes to smoking.
    Hence why most of my friends never knew I smoked unless they smoked also. It was my dirty little habit.
    I had a smoking jacket which was put on whilst smoking and came off and left outside, brushed my teeth after each cigarette and washed my hands after each cigarette.
    As I said I don't understand me either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Most non smokers will never understand why someone smokes if they are pregnant or not. Heck, we are both on again off again smokers and we don't even know why we do it.

I've been pregnant 3 times and quit for all three, in the first pregnancy I think I may have slipped up once or twice, but I didn't really believe it was real, I didn't feel a bond or anything with the baby inside and it wasn't until he was out that I was like, omigod a baby!

I found it relatively easy to quit each time, I've quit for years at a time before and have spent the last 7 years on and off as a strictly social smoker, on a night out etc. But I haven't completely stopped, even though I know I need to, I have bad asthma as well, there is just no reason for me to smoke.

This is why I don't judge other smokers, no matter what their circumstances! Because I can't talk!

Yes and this I know, I'm my worst critic when it comes to smoking.
    Hence why most of my friends never knew I smoked unless they smoked also. It was my dirty little habit.
    I had a smoking jacket which was put on whilst smoking and came off and left outside, brushed my teeth after each cigarette and washed my hands after each cigarette.
    As I said I don't understand me either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most non smokers will never understand why someone smokes if they are pregnant or not. Heck, we are both on again off again smokers and we don't even know why we do it.

I've been pregnant 3 times and quit for all three, in the first pregnancy I think I may have slipped up once or twice, but I didn't really believe it was real, I didn't feel a bond or anything with the baby inside and it wasn't until he was out that I was like, omigod a baby!

I found it relatively easy to quit each time, I've quit for years at a time before and have spent the last 7 years on and off as a strictly social smoker, on a night out etc. But I haven't completely stopped, even though I know I need to, I have bad asthma as well, there is just no reason for me to smoke.

This is why I don't judge other smokers, no matter what their circumstances! Because I can't talk!
    I get what you are saying. I didn't at first but I think I understand now.

Sort of like I myself smoke, I don't know why I continue to smoke yet I do it anyway even though I know the risks it poses to myself and the possible health risks I could face and in turn my children will suffer.
    I suppose you are right.
    A pregnant mother faces the same sort of battles within herself when smoking yet doesn't stop.
    I guess I never thought about it that way

Although again I do believe there is no better motivation to quit smoking then. Whilst pregnant and I do believe if you don't want to be judged then do it in private which is what I do when I am a smoker.
    I don't walk around streets or stand out side shops and smoke with my kids in tow because let's face it smoking is a god awful habit and and is not as socially acceptable as it once was.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I get what you are saying. I didn't at first but I think I understand now.

Sort of like I myself smoke, I don't know why I continue to smoke yet I do it anyway even though I know the risks it poses to myself and the possible health risks I could face and in turn my children will suffer.
    I suppose you are right.
    A pregnant mother faces the same sort of battles within herself when smoking yet doesn't stop.
    I guess I never thought about it that way

Although again I do believe there is no better motivation to quit smoking then. Whilst pregnant and I do believe if you don't want to be judged then do it in private which is what I do when I am a smoker.
    I don't walk around streets or stand out side shops and smoke with my kids in tow because let's face it smoking is a god awful habit and and is not as socially acceptable as it once was.
    This is what I was trying to get at with my posts yesterday. You think there is no better motivation to quit than being pregnant - i agree but I also think having children should be the same motivation not to restart. Those quit ads with the children visiting their father in hospital who is hooked up on ventilators were so powerful. And they are so real.

I smoked before I had kids (only very rarely) but after I had DD1 I remember being outside our house with a friend having a sneaky ciggie and DD1 walked out and saw me. She was so confused about what I was doing and the questions she asked later which were impossible to answer meant I never picked up a cigarette again.

I don't know how old your kids are but DD1 is nearly 8 and is incredibly anti-smoking. One of her close friend's father smokes and they all talk about how he might die really early.

Anyway, all I was trying to say was the same difficulty you have stopping now is the same difficulty a pregnant woman might have just because she finds out she's pregnant. No one on here has said they were proud they smoked while pregnant; they feel shame about it. Our judgment of them doesn't make that easier for them.
    Last edited by Sonja; 25-04-2013 at 10:37.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a dirty habit to kick for some.

The government loves the money they make from them. Just like alcohol and gambling.

A person giving someone the judgey eyes or comments won't stop them from smoking.

I write this as I am having a cigarette myself. In my own backyard. I am about to leave home for the day and my cigarettes will stay at home.

ETA: I'm not pregnant.
    Last edited by Lauzy83; 25-04-2013 at 10:44.