+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 196
  1. #161
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    townsville
    Posts
    2,816
    Thanks
    1,570
    Thanked
    1,277
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you group all Muslims as terrorists ? Do you group all black coloured people as gangsters?
    Do you group all aboriginals as dole bludgers?
    No!
    So don't group all people who smoke whilst pregnant into a category of not caring for their babies like any other regular to be mother does.

    Are there smokers who don't try at all yes or smoke to have small babies yes I don't agree with that either but there are women who try to quit who try to cut down who are ashamed f their dirty little habit. And it statements like that that hurt a woman!
    Not all Muslims are terrorists, not all black coloured people are gangsters, not all aboriginals are dole bludgers just as not all pregnant women who smoke don't care for their babies

    As a very recent ex smoker who admittedly did smoke whilst pregnant (did cut down significantly also smoked a lighter strength cigarette just didn't kick the habit completely ) and who never smoked outside of my home but still got judged it hurts enough within myself and my own guilt but to add statements of you smoked while you were pregnant thats it it doesn't matter why or how or anything else you just didn't care greatly about your baby just make me angry tbh

    Smoking while pregnant isn't a good thing anyone here will tell you that but it's an addiction. A horrible addictive habit. Not everyone is proud of their habit and therefore shouldn't be lumped with those ladies who couldn't give a flying hoot about their habit. To me that's extremely unfair.


    Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (25-04-2013),Lauzy83  (25-04-2013)

  3. #162
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    904
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    237
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMoosMum View Post
    Do you group all Muslims as terrorists ? Do you group all black coloured people as gangsters?
    Do you group all aboriginals as dole bludgers?
    No!
    So don't group all people who smoke whilst pregnant into a category of not caring for their babies like any other regular to be mother does.

    Are there smokers who don't try at all yes or smoke to have small babies yes I don't agree with that either but there are women who try to quit who try to cut down who are ashamed f their dirty little habit. And it statements like that that hurt a woman!
    Not all Muslims are terrorists, not all black coloured people are gangsters, not all aboriginals are dole bludgers just as not all pregnant women who smoke don't care for their babies

    As a very recent ex smoker who admittedly did smoke whilst pregnant (did cut down significantly also smoked a lighter strength cigarette just didn't kick the habit completely ) and who never smoked outside of my home but still got judged it hurts enough within myself and my own guilt but to add statements of you smoked while you were pregnant thats it it doesn't matter why or how or anything else you just didn't care greatly about your baby just make me angry tbh

    Smoking while pregnant isn't a good thing anyone here will tell you that but it's an addiction. A horrible addictive habit. Not everyone is proud of their habit and therefore shouldn't be lumped with those ladies who couldn't give a flying hoot about their habit. To me that's extremely unfair.


    Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away
    It's socially unacceptable to smoke whilst pregnant. Women who do so just have to deal with the fact their choice to fall pregnant whilst smoking and then continue smoking is looked down upon.
    However it is good that women do cut back significantly but maybe that should have been done before TTC ( those that were trying) so that once pregnant they may be able to quit fully.

    Being black, Muslim or Aboriginal is not not socially unacceptable. That's racism and totally off track to the topic don't you think.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

    Anjalee  (25-04-2013),Maybelline  (25-04-2013),mummybynature  (25-04-2013)

  5. #163
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    583
    Thanks
    302
    Thanked
    77
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I have heard that before too, and was wondering if it was true? How do you know that it isn't though? Do you work in the medical field? My friend said that to me, and she really isn't the type of person who lies.
    I was told by the doctor when i got pregnant not to stop cold turkey, for fear or harming the bub/misscarraige etc. But it seems cutting back slowly has been 10 x harder for me to do.. And im sure alot of pregnant smokers have this issue... If it was as simple as just stopping and not buying anymore.. To look after my baby. I think i'd cope.. But slowly cutting back to nothing is proving to be the hardest part.. Because they are still there. Staring me in the face when i feel like one.

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

  6. #164
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    townsville
    Posts
    2,816
    Thanks
    1,570
    Thanked
    1,277
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    It's socially unacceptable to smoke whilst pregnant. Women who do so just have to deal with the fact their choice to fall pregnant whilst smoking and then continue smoking is looked down upon.
    However it is good that women do cut back significantly but maybe that should have been done before TTC ( those that were trying) so that once pregnant they may be able to quit fully.

    Being black, Muslim or Aboriginal is not not socially unacceptable. That's racism and totally off track to the topic don't you think.
    No I don't think it is. Your generalising and stereotyping a person without knowing anything about them other then the obvious. It's obvious that someone is of Muslim decent its obvious when a pregnant lady lights up do you know anything else about that person? No you don't! I think it unfair to lump everyone into a category without knowing them or their or circumstances.



    It's my opinion as you have yours that is mine.


    Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:


  8. #165
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    townsville
    Posts
    2,816
    Thanks
    1,570
    Thanked
    1,277
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Plus I'm not saying everyone should like that pregnant women smoke
    I'm saying that its unfair To say they don't love or care for their baby as much as anyone else


    Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (25-04-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (25-04-2013)

  10. #166
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    townsville
    Posts
    2,816
    Thanks
    1,570
    Thanked
    1,277
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    There was a series of shows on SBS or ABC last year called 'Mums behaving badly' (or something like that!) and it was midwives going around Wales trying to get pregnant women to kick awful habits (drinking, smoking, junk food, stress, etc). There was a mom who smoked and felt that it wasn't harming her baby. The midwife had her do this breathalyzer type thing that showed how much CO2 she was forcing into her baby and then the dangers. It was quite shocking. She tried to quit immediately after, a struggle at first but she did it. By the end when they had her do the breathalyzer all her levels were safe. I wonder if GPs and midwives have something like that here and if it would work?

    I understand there are probably women out there who genuinely try to quit and struggle but there are also women out there who smoke and honestly believe they're not doing harm so therefore don't try to quit.

    Would you judge a pregnant woman if you saw her taking a shot of tequila or regularly drinking?
    I think with everything people will judge but there's a difference between silently judging in your own head to actually verbalising that judgement. TBH I have never seen a heavily pregnant woman drinking maybe because if I am ever near alcohol I'm in my own home and there's never been any pregnant women around my home. So I couldn't say.

    I try my hardest to not judge people on anything because I know there is probably stuff about me that others find judge worthy IYKWIM but I can honestly say even on things that I completely disagree with if I do find myself judging it is always silent never ever would I verbalise it. I'm not a very confrontational person and the ear of not knowing how that person would react scares the cr@p out of me


    Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away

  11. #167
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    639
    Thanks
    929
    Thanked
    157
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I often wonder why smoking while pregnant is such a big debate, yet drinking isn't?

    I watched the show on ABC about smoking while pregnant too. Pretty disturbing! Most of them smoked in their houses too.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauzy83 For This Useful Post:

    LivinOnAPrayer  (25-04-2013)

  13. #168
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    904
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    237
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMoosMum View Post
    No I don't think it is. Your generalising and stereotyping a person without knowing anything about them other then the obvious. It's obvious that someone is of Muslim decent its obvious when a pregnant lady lights up do you know anything else about that person? No you don't! I think it unfair to lump everyone into a category without knowing them or their or circumstances.



    It's my opinion as you have yours that is mine.


    Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away
    The circumstance is they are pregnant, they are smoking, it's unhealthy and disgusting .
    It's fact, that all women who do smoke are risking their babies life and health, they themselves know it and they themselves may hate that they can't quit.

    I don't believe many have said that they judge a smoking mother as being a bad parent.
    I judge that they are making a terrible choice, the wrong choice, a selfish choice, a life threatening choice and I do not understand those choices at all and I look down upon their choices.

    And again I am a smoker.

    I had a friend who planned her son 1 year in advance fell pregnant then whined all over Facebook about people judging her whilst pregnant and smoking then had her son spend 18 months in and out of hospital with breathing related illnesses and facebooked about how awful it was and why her and why her son.
    Someone turned around and said well that's what happens when you smoke 10 cigarettes a day while carrying a baby so rather then whinge about people judging you when you were pregnant then complain about why your son is suffering in hospital maybe you should quit smoking and start setting a good example to your son who you passed dodgy lungs on to.
    Well needless to say she lost it, I would have too and I was shocked her friend would say this to her and her best friend of like 15 years or so.
    They haven't spoken now in 2 years however this friend of mine did quit smoking that year, did get healthy and has also lost 22 kilos.

    I am almost certain she already knew all this and that she may have already been blaming herself but the fact that her best friend came out and said what everyone else was thinking, I believe it made her realize that many people were now judging her and probably judging her harshly. However she is a lovely woman, a caring and hands on mother and a great friend to me however she and I know she made some very selfish and bad choices to continue smoking while pregnant when clearly she can quit and could have quit before TTC.

    You can not predict what sort of damage smoking is going to do to your baby. You may smoke through one pregnancy as my friend above did and have a healthy baby then you may smoke through the next and give your child life long breathing issues.

    The comment that quitting while pregnant is bad for a fetus baffles me also as eventually when a baby is born they will not be having the toxins from smoke running through them unless of course your going to shove a smoke in their mouth and light up.
    Regardless of fetus or newborn it has to go through withdrawals, isn't it best that happens in the early days of pregnancy when you get a BFP?

    And again the Muslim, aboriginal, black comment doesn't fit in context with this discussion.

  14. #169
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,037
    Thanks
    1,498
    Thanked
    730
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Having a drink once in a while whilst preg isn't bad ( new studies released have found no affect on baby .. Obviously binge drinking isn't good ) .. But smoking is always bad ..

    http://www.bjog.org/details/news/460...avioural_.html

    http://hsdispatch.com/2013/04/19/new...ight-drinking/
    Last edited by Maybelline; 25-04-2013 at 09:09.

  15. #170
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You smoke, you are killing yourself and you could die and awful early death and leave your children without a mother. You even quit and chose to take it up again. I judge that. I don't think you have the right to be so judgemental and harsh about women smoking, pregnant or not.

    I am on again of again smoker - so I have no right to judge others about smoking, but I will judge those who judge others about smoking when they smoke themselves.

    It makes no sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    The circumstance is they are pregnant, they are smoking, it's unhealthy and disgusting .
    It's fact, that all women who do smoke are risking their babies life and health, they themselves know it and they themselves may hate that they can't quit.

    I don't believe many have said that they judge a smoking mother as being a bad parent.
    I judge that they are making a terrible choice, the wrong choice, a selfish choice, a life threatening choice and I do not understand those choices at all and I look down upon their choices.

    And again I am a smoker.

    I had a friend who planned her son 1 year in advance fell pregnant then whined all over Facebook about people judging her whilst pregnant and smoking then had her son spend 18 months in and out of hospital with breathing related illnesses and facebooked about how awful it was and why her and why her son.
    Someone turned around and said well that's what happens when you smoke 10 cigarettes a day while carrying a baby so rather then whinge about people judging you when you were pregnant then complain about why your son is suffering in hospital maybe you should quit smoking and start setting a good example to your son who you passed dodgy lungs on to.
    Well needless to say she lost it, I would have too and I was shocked her friend would say this to her and her best friend of like 15 years or so.
    They haven't spoken now in 2 years however this friend of mine did quit smoking that year, did get healthy and has also lost 22 kilos.

    I am almost certain she already knew all this and that she may have already been blaming herself but the fact that her best friend came out and said what everyone else was thinking, I believe it made her realize that many people were now judging her and probably judging her harshly. However she is a lovely woman, a caring and hands on mother and a great friend to me however she and I know she made some very selfish and bad choices to continue smoking while pregnant when clearly she can quit and could have quit before TTC.

    You can not predict what sort of damage smoking is going to do to your baby. You may smoke through one pregnancy as my friend above did and have a healthy baby then you may smoke through the next and give your child life long breathing issues.

    The comment that quitting while pregnant is bad for a fetus baffles me also as eventually when a baby is born they will not be having the toxins from smoke running through them unless of course your going to shove a smoke in their mouth and light up.
    Regardless of fetus or newborn it has to go through withdrawals, isn't it best that happens in the early days of pregnancy when you get a BFP?

    And again the Muslim, aboriginal, black comment doesn't fit in context with this discussion.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (25-04-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (25-04-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Did you smoke while pregnant?
    By BH-community in forum Viewer Polls
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 11-05-2016, 21:55
  2. What pregnant women need
    By Gily75 in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 18:41
  3. Pregnant Women!! I need your help please!!
    By kaseyperth in forum Student Midwives & Doulas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-07-2012, 10:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Softmats
With so many amazing reversible designs, the soft and cushioned Premium Bubba Mats are the perfect space for all the family. Not only do they look fantastic; you can also enjoy the quality and comfort for years to come.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Sudocrem / Infacol
Sudocrem® Healing Cream is a soothing emollient cream which aids and assists in the management of nappy rash, eczema, abrasions, wounds and minor skin irritations. Infacol Wind Drops are an effective method of treating wind in infants.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!