+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you decide......to go ahead with IVF

We have been told the best chance of us conceiving a second child would be through ICSI due to oh low sperm count.

The dilemma I have is do I go through with it in the hope of another child a sibling for my son or just leave it to chance/fate and improve diet etc. The reason being that I have read what IVF can do and I do not have much support in Australia and I am worried that it will have an adverse effect on my son and relationship as my oh works very long hours.

Anyone else been in the same situation?

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Salma

I think it's a very personal decision and it might become clearer to you after another few months if you are not sure now. IVF is hard, but for a lot of us, not having a child (or not doing more towards having a child) is harder. What kind of support are you worried about? Time spent at the clinic was less than I expected; most appointments are early morning and take about 15mins+wait time (and I've seen people bring toddlers with them), and then there's EPU where you'd need someone else (your OH?) to look after you and your son for perhaps 2 days while you recover from anaesthetic. Embryo transfer only takes a few hours in total.

A clinic nurse or counsellor might be able to tell you more about what kind of time and financial commitment is needed for the way they do things at that clinic. If you aren't sure that you really need IVF at all, then maybe you could get another opinion from another doctor before you try to decide. Moral support can be found on BubHub. Good luck with your decision!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to littlesunflowers For This Useful Post:

salma77  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you for your response I think my biggest fear is the failure of IVF as everyone I have known who has been through IVF or sort or another has failed therefore have no success stories to look upon!

will be seeing the dr again beginning of June and will take it from there...

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our decision was easy for me. The FS said we could have s*x a million times and not concieve with dh's swimmer issue and I wanted my baby! At the time
    Dh was very against it due to cost and he was feeling guilty that it was "his" fault. But it's been great! I've fallen pregnant with both transfers I've had with one mc and a stilborn but that's not IVF's fault that's just genetics. And I wouldn't trade my experience with my Bub for anything!

We will be going back to ivf in the next few months, although I resent that we can't try naturally as with ivf you have people always telling you when is a good time to get pregnant and when isn't in their eyes the roulette of natural TTC takes away that judgement to a point

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Allymumtobe For This Useful Post:

salma77  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess as we have one conceived once there is that nagging it could happen again! It took us nearly a year to conceive after a missed m/c so maybe his sperm was low then also (but only took 4 months to conceive first time) its a lottery I guess!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's a success story for you... 12 months ago today my DH & I had our first appointment with our FS & were told because of my hubbies low count the only way was ICSI, it was daunting at the start but well worth every bit of emotion! Today twelve months later our little boy is nearly 10 weeks old... IVF was not as hard as I thought it would be, the hardest part is the 2WW at the end... Hope that helps, there are plenty of success stories out there XX

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

salma77  (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    that is great news it is just being scared of the unknown i guess....

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It is daunting first cycle is also the worst for nerves All the scans and needles and information and the surgery but it's all not as bad and scary as it is in your head. I put my first needle on YouTube I was giggling and adrenaline was making me shakey but then it's was like "oh? Is that it?" And it all got easier from there

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had no other choice, as I have no tubes

Thanks
    Reviews
    hmm i know......i guess the difference is that I have one child and the I have to think is that enough......