+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Maternity leave..

Hi all, not sure if I am in the right place to ask this but I have birth to my baby boy on the 21st of march. I was originally only going to have 6 months off financially that's all I could afford but now he's here I just can't see myself beig ready at 6 months. They still rely so much on you at that age. Is there any ideas on how I could earn some money from home to try and stretch out my leave a bit longer? I just dont know what i can do. I wish I could afford a year off I really do
    Thanks xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would definitely take 1 yr off at least! I'm assuming this is ur first bub? They need you so much at that age still it would be cruel to leave them.

Why don't you try mystery shopping? You can do a search on Google to get more info.

Have you found out your entitlement s from centrelink?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I regret going back to work at 15mths. I originally went back 2 days a week and going to cut down to 3 days a fortnight in a few months. Unless your a single mum that is severely struggling I wouldn't go back before a year. It's not worth missing out on his first year of life.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    I would definitely take 1 yr off at least! I'm assuming this is ur first bub? They need you so much at that age still it would be cruel to leave them.

Why don't you try mystery shopping? You can do a search on Google to get more info.

Have you found out your entitlement s from centrelink?

That is so unhelpful. Cruel to leave them? It most certainly is not. How ridiculously judgemental.
    OP have you thought about going back part time, or doing a night fill job that would start after your bub was asleep? Perhaps look at your budget again and see if you can make your savings stretch a bit longer? Cutting back where possible, maybe selling stuff on eBay? We've just sold DD's bassinett and rocker which got us a bit of money back. I donated her 0000 clothes and my maternity clothes, but I could have got some money for them, too.
    If you do have to go to work, please ignore people like the PP. you are not harming your child by going out to make a living for your family. Many women do it, many by choice. They love their babies just as much, and their babies are just as happy and cared for as those with mums who stay home.
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 29-04-2013 at 06:59.

5. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (29-04-2013),Ashram  (29-04-2013),atomicmama  (29-04-2013),bpac  (29-04-2013),CupidsVictim  (29-04-2013),GreenMama  (29-04-2013),HowCrazyCool  (29-04-2013),Hulahoop  (29-04-2013),michellead  (29-04-2013),missmim  (29-04-2013),Mod-Zeddie  (29-04-2013),MrsLA  (29-04-2013),NancyBlackett  (29-04-2013),peanutmonkey  (29-04-2013),pilbarablossom  (29-04-2013),Radio  (29-04-2013),risfaerie  (29-04-2013),Shell Somer  (29-04-2013),SugarSkull  (29-04-2013),Wise Enough  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    [QUOTE=ProudMumma34;7214674 They need you so much at that age still it would be cruel to leave them[/QUOTE]

What the? Are you serious? Get real.

Mystery shopping earns you about $50 a month for new people so not a great source of income.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    I regret going back to work at 15mths. I originally went back 2 days a week and going to cut down to 3 days a fortnight in a few months. Unless your a single mum that is severely struggling I wouldn't go back before a year. It's not worth missing out on his first year of life.

Lucky you were in a position to do so. I really don't think it's appropriate to make those kind of statements. Working mums have enough guilt to deal with already.

I don't think Australians realise that they are one of the only countries to take so much time off for babies. It's just not done in most other developed countries (Scandinavia aside).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know once my bub comes I will probably have to go back to work a couple of days a week after 6 months also. My husband loves his job but doesn't make enough to warrant me being SAHM.

I have started 2 businesses on Facebook, one is selling little girls tutus and clothing and the other cakes I make. I'm hoping to be just busy enough so I don't have to go back to work but reality is I may have to as do so many other mums.

Does that make me or any other mum a bad or unloving mum hell no it just means we love our families just as much and want to give them everything we can.

Don't pay attention to people that stay at home maybe they can, or maybe they're happy to give their families the bear minimum. But I know I want to give my family every opportunity in life to succeed and if that means going back to work than so be it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP. A friend of mine used to do a few catalogue drops a week to earn some extra dollars. Seemed to work for her. It got her out of the house, exercising and earning some monies. :-)

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (29-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    After I had ds I couldn't bring myself to go back to work then I had DD and really didn't want to. I'm lucky in the sense that DH earns enough for us to get by an have savings we don't live the luxurious life but are no means struggling so I sympathise with the not wanting Togo back to work straight away. Sometimes though we just have to do what we have to do. If DH was non existent or had a lesser paying job then i would have no other option butto return to work even if i didn't want to. I am at the point now with DS being 4 and DD 2 that I want to return to work and have taken a part time job it's only 3 days a fortnight but its not so much for money as it is fr me just to get out o the house and part take in something that isn't motherly based IYKWIM

Maybe you could go for a part time position or even nightfall if you have someone who can mind bub fr you.
    You could maybe do something artsy I your creative and sell them.
    And mayb find out ht your eligible for entitlements wise through centrelink.

No matter what you have to do in the end Don't beat yourself up, being a parent means doing what you have to to provide for your children if you can do that being home awesome if you have to go back to work to do that then that's what you have to do

Best if luck

Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I felt the same after having DS1, I didnt want to go back to work but as DH was an apprentice I had no choice, so I got a job doing nightfill when he was 4 months old.

I wont lie, it was extremely difficult. I worked 4-5 nights a week from 9pm-2am, got home by 3am and was up with DS at 5:30am when he woke up... I did this for 2 years before DS2 came along, so its doable but it just depends if you can function on such little sleep etc.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app