+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default centrelink payments for teens?

Hi my daughter is 18 next month and was wondering what payment can she get, we both have rang centrelink and there not any help :-/.

I do get ftb, I was told she isnt eligable for no payments if she is under my care until 22 years old. She finished school last year and is looking for work?

Thanks

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep - She needs to prove independence.

Independent

You may be considered independent for Youth Allowance if you meet any of the below criteria:
    •you are aged 22 years or more
    •you have supported yourself through employment, or
    •you are unable to live at home due to extreme circumstances, or your parents can not exercise their responsibilities.

For a full list see independence.
    I always thought I'd be supporting my children till they got a job (if still living at home). Then as long as I was happy they were actually trying to get work, I'd be fine with that. I guess I'd never thought of it because my siblings and I all got jobs by 15, then worked through uni. When I went to Uni I tried to get Austudy - but it was still dependent upon my parents income - even when I moved out, because I didn't move out due to extreme circumstances (I moved out to be closer to Uni and for independence - but Centrelink didn't see it as independent).

So short answer - as far as I can see - no she's not eligible for any payments unless she moves out and proves independence according to the criteria above.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 23-04-2013 at 13:57.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Threadkiller  (23-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 19yo brother was told to apply for a payment while looking for work (can't remember the name) but it's based on the parents income so he didnt get anything.

eta: maybe because he had a casual job, but was looking for full time work in a field he has a cer 2 in it was a different set of rules?
    Last edited by F&A; 23-04-2013 at 13:27.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Youth allowance
    yes it goes on your income too even when they live on the other side of country.

Info here
    http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/...004-1301en.pdf

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely need to prove independence so that it doesn't go off parent income. I remember working three jobs at uni so that I could get over that threshold. It was hard, but the I could work waaaay less and focus on studying after I qualified.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure she could apply for NewStart if shes looking for work? I'm not sure if the Minimum age is 18 or 21-22 for it though?

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No - newstart is for over 22 - it's Youth Allowance before that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (23-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gained 'independence' at 18 because my parents lived a long way from the uni (2.5-3 hrs travel a day) and I couldn't afford / they couldn't afford for me to board at college. So I then was eligible for youth allowance and rent assistance and was able to rent a unit near uni.

I had to jump through a LOT of hoops to be classified as independent. I had friends who worked two jobs over a full summer to meet the income threshhold so that then when they needed to wind back to their casual job during the uni semesters they were then eligible for centrelink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Dd isn't independent even though we live at opposite sides of the country. She does get a small amount of YA and rent assistance but because she works 25 hours on top of full time uni.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    No - newstart is for over 22 - it's Youth Allowance before that.
    No, they're two different payments. Newstart if you're looking for work, Youth Allowance if you are in full time study. If you are a mature-age student (over 25) you get Austudy instead of YA.

With any centrelink payment, parents income will be taken into account unless they can be classified as independent.