+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Strange periods - Not sure if this is the right place to post

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post, have not posted in awhile, if its not, please feel free to point me in the right direction...

I have been tracking my periods since about August last year, as I am no longer on the pill - it just does not agree with me.

I have lost a significant amount of weight - well I think 15 kilos is lol.

Anyhow, since about September last year, my periods have been odd.

I used to get my period like clockwork, heavy for 5-7 days... Since Sept I have been spotting before and after my "period" which is now only heavy for 2 days. It has gotten progressively worse, I now spot for about 7 days before my period and about 4 days after.

I am on a 26-30 day cycle - it varies, and I tend to spot from about day 22 - if it is a 29-30 day month, it not if it sooner.

My moods are all over the place when I am spotting and I am very tired all the time, which makes me think it is something hormonal.

I have been to the doctor, she did a pap smear, and it came back clear, she wont do any hormonal testing as she has said that it is a "Waste" of money on anyone under 40. She tried to get me to go back on the pill to stop the spotting, yet I still have no cause.

I guess I am just looking to see if anyone has had a similar situation? I am worried that this may be something that is affecting my fertility, and will hinder us when we decide to try for baby no. 2. (I have a 19 month old)

TIA

Krystal

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Hmm...could it be low progesterone or something? I think you should get a new doctor or at least a second opinion...and get a bt. Something like checking hormone levels would be pretty straight forward i think. Heaps of women under 40 have hormonal imbalances/problems. Your doctor doesn't sound very good tbh.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

minniebaby  (23-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply

I have googled and alot is pointing towards the low progesterone.

And yeah, I really think she just cant be bothered with finding the cause, she is just trying to treat the symptoms...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to minniebaby For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (23-04-2013)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by minniebaby View Post
    Thanks for your reply

I have googled and alot is pointing towards the low progesterone.

And yeah, I really think she just cant be bothered with finding the cause, she is just trying to treat the symptoms...
    Going back on the pill won't help you ttc . But there are heaps of things you can do if you do have low progesterone and help you to concieve #2.

Definitely worth finding a new doctor. Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks

Yes definately do not want to go back on the pill.

Good to know there are things that can help low progesterone as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Keep in mind it can take some women 12 months to form a pattern of 'normal periods' after coming off the BCP. Many have had success regulating their cycles with vitex, me personally it took me from a 30-35 day cycle to a 50+ day cycle...AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT!!!

Do some research on acupuncture and Chinese medicine and try and help your body help itself rather than band aid the issue with synthetic hormones best of luck, I empathize with your frustration xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ponytail. MY son was born in Sept 11, and I intially went on the BCP for a few months, then decided it was not agreeing with me.

Oh wow 50+? You poor thing, that is crazy!

Thank You, I will look into the acupuncture and chinese medicine. Would this be like a naturopath?

That is what I felt the doctor was trying to do, bandaid it with the BCP, not find the cause.

Thank You xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had really similar since my AF returned after DS was born. Spotting for up to 8 days before AF started properly, then cycles anywhere from 26-32 days. And don't ask my DH about my moods. There are times in my cycles that even I don't like myself, lol!
    Anyway, my GP just recently prescribed me Primulet (progesterone tablets) to take for 10 days between O and AF.
    Funnily enough, I was almost due for AF when they were prescribed, so didn't get to use them that cycle and AF was as closest to "normal" as it had ever been. I decided to hold off to see how the next cycle went and I had a couple of days of spotting, but it seems like finally my hormones are settling down. I'm starting back on the BCP next cycle, so won't end up using the primulet at all (I had to wait until I'd finished feeding my DS to go back on my usual pill, and he's almost fully weaned).
    The side effect from taking progesterone can be worse than the symptoms of low progesterone, so I'm glad I'm avoiding it.
    A far as TTC goes, I had similar spotting pre-AF when I was TTC my DS (I was still BF my DD at the time), and still managed to conceived.
    Are you still BF at all? I know that for me it can put my hormones way out of whack. And if you've only had AF back for a short time, you might need to give it longer to settle down.
    HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minniebaby View Post
    Thanks Ponytail. MY son was born in Sept 11, and I intially went on the BCP for a few months, then decided it was not agreeing with me.

Oh wow 50+? You poor thing, that is crazy!

Thank You, I will look into the acupuncture and chinese medicine. Would this be like a naturopath?

That is what I felt the doctor was trying to do, bandaid it with the BCP, not find the cause.

Thank You xx
    Long cycles suck!
    Yes naturopaths are great too all therapies are similar in the way they help your body help itself. You will probably find though its just time that will eventually fix everything up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Cindye.

I am not Breastfeeding anymore no, I only did for the first 4 weeks, so stopped OCT 2011. I do still get milk discharge if I squeeze my nipples - sorry TMI.

I was concerned with the spotting in that it has gotten progressively longer over a 8 month period. Glad to hear it didnt hinder you TTC.

Thanks ponytail, I hope it fixes sooner rather than later