+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Potentially awkward with surname

DH and I love the name Parker for a boy but I am worried people will make fun of it with our surname (don't want to directly advertise it but lets just say it's the plural of male genitals and rhymes with Box). We have gotten a few comments in the past about "Park A Surname" and it's starting to shake my confidence in using the name. It has significance to us (it's DH's grandmother's maiden name) and to be honest, all the other names we like just don't seem to compare to Parker.

Thoughts on what to do?

ETA - should mention the other names in our shortlist are Emmett, Edward and Jasper.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I don't really know why 'park a surname' would be a problem...you dont usually park that part of the body do you?

Parker is a lovely name.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Honestly if you didn't say anything about the comments you've gotten, I wouldn't have even clicked with me haha.

I think it's a beautiful name

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Whilst I think the name Parker is awesome, I do agree that it sounds a little funny with your surname. It's not ridiculously silly though, like it's not a name I'd read out loud and crack into hysterical laughter and think - WHY WOULD THE PARENTS DO THAT! But it does sound a little funny.

I also love the 3 other names on your short list, and think any of them would be a good choice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I actuaclly think that it sounds like a good strong name. I love it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I like both Parker and Emmett.

Honestly, kids will always find a way to tease other kids about their names, even if there is nothing different about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like Parker is fine. My SIL has the same surname and they had a lot of trouble coming up with a boys name to go with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the name Parker. I do think it sounds a little funny with your surname, but not enough to not have it IYKWIM. Especially if there is sentimental reason.

Kids will always find something to pick on or make up a name, no matter how hard you try and avoid it

Thanks
    Reviews
    honestly, if you didn't come up with the jiggle that was in your op, it wouldn't have occured to me... but then again, when at school, kids can think of the strangest combo's. i love emmett tho what if you hyphenated parker with something..?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think it sounds 'funny' enough to not use the name.

I like Parker as a name. Considered it for DS but it doesn't flow well with our surname.