+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterIsComing View Post
    I was thinking of joining the local play group they run in my area but its pretty expensive to go. Sigh, I miss socializing with adults!

This is quite strange as most playgroups are free or just ask for a gold coin donation...donation as in you are not forced to pay. Some ask to bring a plate of fruit to share for morning tea instead of payment. It all depends on what sort of playgroup you find. Mine is free and run by a teacher's aid who works at the primary school it's held at.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (24-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Where are you located LMM?

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sugarskull

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (23-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Where are you located LMM?

im a victorian country bumpkin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    Thank you Uniquey.. Beautiful advice. I need to push myself and just sit at a cafe or something. It's so freaking hard.
    It must be so hard on you moving from state to state. Havin to start all over again wouldn't be easy.
    I do need to try find a mothers group.. I'm going to join one once the next bubba comes along. I have to this time. I'm even considering another antenatal class just so I can meet other pregnant mums.
    Thank you also Sugarskull

It certainly IS hard and like anything if you can overcome that first hurdle, it makes the next one a lot easier. I know it's all good and well to say 'join a mother's/playgroup', but that isn't always the easiest thing to do when they're already established and women have built up their cliques or have established rapports with each other, so (if you can) as you suggested try going to the ante natal class and things like that where you are all linked and starting at the same time with the babies as the common denominator.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (24-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sam4frankie View Post
    I'm not a mum yet sugarskull (expecting in July), but I know what its like to feel lonely. It is the WORST feeling!

One great avenue I found was free groups to join through a site called meetup. There were walking groups, play groups, bush walking, different lifestyle or interest groups, etc. It's a great free way to meet people. And even if you don't make friends in all of those groups, sometimes it can help just to be out of the house and interacting with people.

If I lived in Sydney I'd be your friend IRL!
    I second meetup groups. I joined one a single parents one. Best thing I ever did! Why don't you check it out. Google meetup an then look at Sydney....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (24-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I could of written this post myself..its why I have come back here for the chats I used to have and friends I did make on here...I could get frustrations out when needed 2 and most would listen, but in saying that I still miss going out with a friend for coffee etc ...and I find myself lonely since moving to a new area also..its a horrible feeling, the feeling of emptiness

12. The Following User Says Thank You to melly75 For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (24-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    Late September, early October.
    im in a due in Oct group on facebook, and I know quite a few of the syndey girls and melb girls are organizing a catch up, but have u been given an exact date if you send me through your email I can add ya there is nearly 40 in our group lol

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Andie86 For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (24-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    I know it's all good and well to say 'join a mother's/playgroup', but that isn't always the easiest thing to do when they're already established and women have built up their cliques or have established rapports with each other
    i joined my already established playgroup who had their "cliques" and most had known eachother for a couple years. This is something i wouldnt usually do as i too, suffered anxiety and depression. I didnt care that i was walking into a room of strangers. Turns out i was extremely welcomed into the group. i knew i just had to put myself out there, i had no choice in the matter. I didnt want to let my anxiety take over anymore. My DD deserved better.

sorry i dont mean to sound harsh. but personally, i kept making up negative excuses for myself in regards to getting out and about. "the times dont suit us, it costs money, i wont know anyone, it's too far.... It really didnt help things.
    If you really want to help yourself you will just do what you have to do.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 24-04-2013 at 07:38.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (24-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i agree with the above....i joined my playgroup as i did not know any anyone socailly who lived locally..i still had friends but the drive is one hour away + and honestly i got sick of always being the one having to travel or something would always come up where so and so couldnt make it, kids were sick etc....im quite a social person and like to have friends from different spheres....yes i did find playgroups had thier cliques or they knew each other but by the same token they were welcoming and its important that you go regularly... i try to go most weeks ..remember that like you most of the ppl going are there for the same reason..to talk and make friends!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jfblady72 For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (24-04-2013)