+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 9 month old still feeding at night

I know there have probably been a lot of these posts but my DS is 9 months and still wants a feed at night. He's been self settling since he was 4 months old (me leaving the room & he just falls to sleep by himself). But still would wake up every 3-4 hours for a feed (which I was told was normal and he would eventually grow out of). But he never did.

He's breastfed but eats good solids meals 3 times a day, plus snacks if he's hungry and water with every meal.

At the moment we do our night time routine (dinner (solids) bath, feed about 6.30, read a book and then down to sleep about 7)

But he'll wake up hungry at 10.30, and then want another feed at 2.30.

It's really strange because if he wakes up before 10.30 I can get him back to sleep by just going in, giving him a pat on the back for a few seconds & then leaving. He whinges for 5 or so minutes and then re settles. Sometimes i have to go back in again and stay a bit longer but he will go to sleep. The same thing happens if He wakes up after his 10.30 feed, but before 2.30.

I try to re settle him in the same way at 10.30 or 2.30 he never re settles, he just escalates into hysterical screaming.

For the past 2 weeks I've tried CC to try and get him to go back to sleep at 2.30 but he just screams for up to 2 hours or more.

Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD woke 4 hourly (almost to the minute!) for feeds until we decided to try to help her drop the 11pm one at about 10-11mths. Basically if she woke before midnight DH would go in to settle her - she didn't seem to get upset much as she knew he couldn't feed her. She soon dropped that feed and just kept the 3am one (until she weaned at 16mths). It was much more manageable. Could you try that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sometimes it's just easier to nurse them then to worry about the fact they are still waking for feeds. Maybe try nursing at 10:30 instead of patting him off and maybe he won't wake at 2:30?
    Or you can try a dream feed at 10 before he wakes up himself and see if this helps him to stay settled for the night.
    My son didn't sleep through without a nurse until about 10.5 months good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's probably more for comfort than to feed. My 2 year old still nurses twice a night! If you're happy than just keep going, if not have a read of dr jay gordons night weaning guide. It's a gentler way of doing it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! It's nice to know there are many ways of getting there in the end. I think I've been listening too much to all these (well intentioned) people telling me I was doing it all wrong because he should be going 10 of 11 hours without a nurse at this age! Sajimum- my DH has tried being the one to go and settle him but he just screams louder- it seems he only wants mummy at night!

And thanks LollyDolly for the recommendation for DR jays weaning guide- I hadn't heard of that so I'll take a look!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Seriously, don't listen to people who tell you what he 'should' be doing, it will only cause you angst and make you doubt yourself and your instincts. You aren't doing it 'all wrong', you're just going by his cues.

My little 9 month old wakes every 2.5 (when teething) but mostly 3 hrs a night for a feed/comfort feed and she is very similar to your ds with what she eats during the day, so sometimes it's just the baby and nothing else.

I do try and get her as much sunshine and fresh air during the day so she knows the difference between the daylight hours and night hours, but I think she is just going to be comfort feeding/waking for a little while yet as she is teething and growing/developing and being more aware of her surroundings as they are at this age.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (23-04-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have three kids... they all fed through the night until around 18 months. Only one feed but still. I've researched why, and developmentally - they're supposed to. Silly me weaned my eldest at 14 months and then had to get up and get a bottle for her... it was so much easier with my other kids who just had a breastfeed that was over and done with quickly and then back to sleep.
    9 months is still a bit young to be going without a night feed. especially when you consider how much developmental stuff is going on at this point in time ( crawling, cruising, walking, some are learning words etc etc)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiggermum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-04-2013),HLE  (23-04-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he swaddled? I know it might sound stupid for an older baby but try it, put a wedge / anti roll thing in with him n make sure he cant get outta the wrap. My bubs younger but worked for her and I know a 12 month old it worked for. Seriously give it a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is bub having a decent breakfast? If yes then he definitely needs both feeds. If bub is snacking or refusing breakfast then he might not need both feeds.

I don't agree with night weaning till after 12mths but you could try "wake to sleep". Google it.

Btw dream feeds and wake to sleep didn't work for my girls at all. Dd2 dropped both overnight feeds at 14mths and dd2 goes between 1-2 overnight feeds at 10mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD sounds very similar!

She had a brief period of sleeping through the night (4 months - 5.5 months, corrected) but then she went back to her night feed (anywhere from 1:30-3:30am).

DH keeps saying she shouldn't be doing it and she should be sleeping through and wanting to just give her water and all sorts of silly stuff because that's what some guy at work said worked. I think he gets too hung up on us being woken once during the night.

I would suggest ignoring what others say about when babies are meant to sleep through and reduce your expectation of when it will happen. If DS settles well and you can be in and out fairly quickly then hang in there, you're doing well and he'll wean soon enough