Closed Thread
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow, wasn't I just blown away reading the posts overnight, with Happyhearts referral to my previous mention of Saffaland. With all due respect, I have never discriminated on the basis of ones race, religious or sexual orientation and as a child of immigrants am completely disturbed that such may have been misconstrued.

Granted the extensive IVF battle I have endured as evidenced in my signature I hold South Africa near and dear in my heart and would never intend to denigrate its beautiful people. In fact, it is my intention to educate my boy soundly on the history of the country, with the expectation that history never be repeated. In this regard, I am absolutely mortified by the reference and wish to emphasise beyond doubt that no malice or ill intent has been intended to my reference.

Perhaps it is time for me to step away from this forum for a while.

I wish you all the very best of love and success with your journeys. Thank you to all the beautiful women who have supported me in my journey. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    LANED.....Absolutely not!!!! You stay on this forum. My goodness me, you are an important part of this forum and I am sure that this forum is an important part of your journey.....You have always been supportive, kind and loving. Every woman that is on here holds our dear Sth Africa close to their hearts.

I just did a google on "Saffa Land"...it is merely a slang name, almost like a pet name for the country. No difference to someone referring to Australia as "down under".

HAPPYHEART... I understand you asked the question based on what you have read on the net and meant nothing personal with it.

The term Saffaland is used by lots of us. We use it with affection and respect for a country and people we have a bond with. I hope I can speak for all of us when I say this...

So girls, from Down-Under to Saffaland.....there there be lots of baby dust for us all.

Can't believe I will be there in a few sleeps!!!! Looked at the weather report for the day of my appointment.....geez, hope they have nice warm air con in the clinic....won't feel like taking off the layers for the pelvic scan in the brrrr frosty weather! Sorry girls, had to have a bit of a giggle!

Thinking of you lucky ducks that are over there now!!!
    Donna x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DJSHEARS For This Useful Post:

BJ04  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sooty, you can choose to have 1 or 2 put back, the clinic says there is a 65% chance of achieving pregnancy and if 2 are put back there is a 20% chance of twins.

This is my own personal preference, but we started out with Dr.Le Roux and have had Dr.Heylen for the second half and in my own opinion I prefer Dr. LeROux, I find him more personable and friendly, I know other ladies probably prefer Dr.Heylen and this is my own opinion Karin is Dr.Le Roux's coordinator and she has been fantastic!! We used Nurture agency and they were fantastic, they got back to us right away etc.

January, those are fantastic numbers!!!!! I got a fertilisation report in my email that told me what was retrieved, injected and then fertilised. We should be tranferring on the same day I think !!!

My face has become very puffy from the steriods Oh and a tip, when we started our Gestone injections Elaine told us to go and buy some Arnica Oil..go and buy some ahead of time, it does help with the soreness and bruising. If your coming in winter, the days are mild but the heating in the hotels is not great, apparently this is a common issue here. We have our heat turned up to 30 and there is barely any heat but I did pack sweaters etc so it hasn't been bad.

We booked a car online but when we got here they ended up cancelling that booking because we got a much better rate in person. That was with AVIS, you also need to watch the insurance if your going with other companies and some don't offer unlimited mileage. We got everything, premium insurance and unlimited mileage for $322 for the entire two weeks so a great deal.

And finally to Laned, I didn't take any offence whatsoever to any term used and I think once one has been here it becomes even more obvious it wasn't intended as a racial slur in anyway. I don't think anyone with a heart could be so cruel to people that have been so obviously kicked while down...please stay on with us, you've been through this journey once and your about to do it again so your experience will really help the other girls

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crystal4431 For This Useful Post:

BJ04  (08-07-2013),sootymay  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Laned -please don't leave the forum. We value your input and love hearing your updates.

Crystal - I only received a phone call and will chase up the rest on Monday, not that it really matters as the fertilization number is the important one. Should be transferring on Wednesday as well

DJ - not long for you. We are planning a night in Sydney before we head back to Perth so I can give you a call if you like next week before you leave.

Just a note re choosing a Dr. Please be aware that it can change. I started with Dr W, then was changed to Dr M and next week a different Dr will do my transfer. There is a big conference next week so many are away. I have had to relax about this and trust that they are all skilled at what they do.

In Franccshoek planning a wine tour this afternoon. This place is beautiful. Would recommend you all spend a couple of nights here particularly if you enjoy great food and wine.

Bye for now
    Last edited by January; 07-07-2013 at 15:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sootymay I had 2 transferred and had 1 bub. I will do the same this time, there is no guarantee that 2 will take and if they do progress to twin live births. My mate had twins up to 12 weeks when one was reabsorbed into the body.

Happyheart we are picking up our car from the airport and it has been my experience in the past in various countries and destinations that I have been to that cars are not always available in the group we wanted or cars are not available at all, so I now book in advance. As for the reference to Saffaland no idea where it came from on this thread but its not derogatory or intended to be derogatory. I meet a fair few South Africans when I lived in London and they always refer to themselves as saffas to them it was the same as us calling ourselves Aussies. Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ladies

I got half way through a post on Tuesday night, got logged out and haven't been able to access BH since.

Going to catch up on everyone's news now. I also have some PM's, so apologies that I have not been able to answer....getting onto it now!

Just a quickie to HappyHeart...I think you asked me about flying with Lucrin and Clexane....I intend to carry a little 6 pack sized cooler and put in a couple of gel freezer blocks to keep things cold...the gel freezer blocks wont stay frozen for the whole trip, but I will ask the flight attendants if I can pop 1 or 2 into their freezer as a 'top up'. I have also got some vouchers for the Qantas club (as a result of lodging a complaint earlier in the year)...I will see if they can assist with re-freezing the blocks. I also intend to put the 6 pack cooler into my hand luggage....may look a bit strange walking around the airport with a cooler!!

AFM
    We leave on SATURDAY!!!!!
    Last edited by Sunny15; 07-07-2013 at 16:27.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunny15 For This Useful Post:

DJSHEARS  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All!!

I have not posted for so long and it looks like I have a lot to catch up on!!!

To update you. I am here in Cape Town and so far everything is going great! Mum and I arrived on Tuesday morning after a looong trip. We flew Singapore Airlines who were great but flying time was about 23 hours, add in stops and from locking the door at home to arriving in our Hotel in CT was 30 hours. Couldn't get to sleep on the plane but we were determined to stay up till Tuesday night to get straight into the right time schedule here. Having my lining check to get to that afternoon helped keep us going. We made it to 7.45pm and crashed!!!! My appointment with Dr M was fine. She is very nice, kind of direct and doesn't seem one for too much small talk but I really liked her. My lining was 8.8 (pretty average for me) and she was happy with it and said it would thicken a little more. Apparently once you start the Gestone it stops thickening.

The next day we went to Sanbona for three days and had an amazing time!!! What an incredibly beautiful place and they take such good care of you!!! We were so sad to leave!

My donor had her retrieval on Wednesday. 14 retrieved, 12 mature and 12 fertilised!!! Woo hoo! I had a three day update from the clinic yesterday that all are still progressing and all is set for a 5 day transfer tomorrow (Monday).

I made the decision early on in this process that I wasn't going to sweat the small stuff. Didn't ask how my donor was doing - just focused on getting myself ready and trusted that the clinic knew best and that I would hear if there was a problem. I haven't asked for details on the embryos - like how many are at how many cells etc. Again just trying to accept that I can't change the process and what will be will be. Quite a turnaround for me as I used to stress over every detail. Perhaps being here too with so much to see and do means I am not obsessing over everything.

I spoke to Dr M about only transferring one and she was great. Unfortunately she won't be there tomorrow for transfer but said I can discuss it with Dr D and embryologist - how embryos are growing, how they look etc and make a final decision then. If they have made blast, and particularly if there are some to freeze, I will only transfer one.

We did a day tour to Stellenbosch and Franschhoek yesterday for wine tasting. You really have to pace yourself or by the end of the day you would be sloshed! Scenery was amazing. Still hoping to get up Table Mountain. Hoping for a clear day.

We have found CT safe and people are lovely. Had a few dramas with getting connected. I brought my iPhone with the idea to buy a Sim for it. Turns out my iPhone is locked - from what I gather this is by my Aust carrier and I would need to contact them to unlock. In my over tired, jet lagged state this seemed too high a mountain to tackle so just bought a cheap local phone which has worked fine. Also having the iPad is fantastic! I am so glad I invested in one before we came!!

Well this has been a very long me post! I haven't been on bubhub for a couple of weeks- so busy getting ready to come to CT and work was insane - but I am now going to go back and read everything I have missed!!

Good luck Jennilee and Crystal who I know are here too at the moment!! Thinking of you both!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BJ04 For This Useful Post:

Jennilee67  (10-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just realised I better update my sig as I have had a birthday....sigh...

Thanks
    Reviews
    BJ404 - thank you for all the detail - love it and that is fantastic news! Good advice to try and not sweat it, you are so right, we can't control the outcome and I liked to know everything too during my cycles in the past. I am going to TRY and take your advice Good luck - we really appreciate all the feedback, makes it seem not so daunting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi january....Sounds great!!! We would love to catch up with you! Just let me know when and where. We are just under 2 hours from Sydney so not far at all and getting together would be fantastic.
    Donna xx