Closed Thread
Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this is the thread to be for all things overseas egg donation. I"m travelling to Barbados with a fellow recipient of donor embryos and she asked me tonight if my FS would be willing to assist me. I haven't seen my FS for a long time and hadn't really considered that. Has anyone here ever had their FS not support them in their overseas journey?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello Ladies

Wow June/July is busy...us Aussie ladies are surely giving CFC a good deal of business!

BB4Me- Very happy that you have your 2 little embies on board & I pray they are snuggling in. Big hugs For the best result

Araline- great result at egg collection. How are things progressing? Well I hope... thinking of you and hoping you have a great result X

Happyheart - CFC use Embryo Glue for all transfers. I asked them when I was there in March. So that's one less thing for us to organise hey?

Crystal- When is your expected transfer date? I think we will be close

January- not many sleeps to go for us both! I will send you a text tomorrow about Friday

AFM- we leave Perth on Monday 24th June...aaahhh 5 sleeps to go. I am anxious now. Our donor who had the AMH of 5.51 had a really bad AFC of only 3. So we are playing another game of Russian roulette! Anyway, we are going ahead with everything. I am on so many meds now just have to keep going forward. I have to organise the Intralipids- What do I do???

Night all

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennilee67 For This Useful Post:

BB4Me  (19-06-2013),Missleo  (19-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,
    I definitely know I am full of chaotic hormones as I'm incredibly irritable, and am directing it tonight towards CFC's due to their terrible communication. I am still trying to get information on how the fertilisation has been going since the egg pick up on Saturday. The last thing I heard was that out of the 18 collected 10 were good to fertilise. My Australian IVF experience is that they give daily updates. In Cape Town the FS's assistants apparently have no idea, and the embryologist as of this morning wasn't sure and promised to call me back in addition to emailing me the results and never did. Couldn't get through to them this afternoon. Transfer is due on Thursday so I guess I'll find out then how the embryos are doing.

I think it's the progesterone shots, but you can just call me Miss Cranky! I am slightly worried what i'll be like after 8 weeks of these shots.

Net3811 - I got my Australian FS to help me understand what the CT clinic required blood tests/scans and to organise referrals so i could get them done. They were great also with faxing prescriptions to my local chemist too for whatever I needed.

Happyheart - I tried to get a data package for my phone but found after paying for it and being told wrongly it would take an hour to work (which was not true), my Samsung phone did not accept it. When I asked why it wouldn't work, they had no idea. They have an apple shop selling ipads here in Cape Town so chances are that it may work for you. I used Vodocom, but there is another good service provider too whose name I can't remember - you just purchase the sim and the pre paid plan you want. There are plenty of stores where you can top up your plan I have no problems though with using Wifi through my phone and macbook and there are many cafes/hotels around which have wifi access.

Thank you everyone for the good wishes!

Oh before I forget - One tip that I found with booking accommodation is that it's worth also contacting the hotel directly in addition to checking the online booking agencies like booking.com for the best price, as they often have specials as it's low season in South Africa and a wider selection of rooms available than can be viewed through the major booking agencies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone just a quick one. I suggest you use MTN for your phones....I researched it before leaving and they are the biggest provider there (like Telstra) and had huge stores in all the major shopping areas. We had absolutely no problems and had constant Internet coverage on our iPad even in the middle of nowhere. There is a big store in V&A, and a tiny one at the airport if you are just getting a local phone (about $50 to purchase a basic Nokia with pre-paid sim which is what we did). If you do an Internet search there is also a smartphone rental service from a few companies in CT that seems reliable and really cheap. Having said all this the only phone calls we made in almost 3 weeks were 3 calls to the clinic and 2 to a hotel!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jenni, my expected transfer date if all goes to plan is July 8th and egg retrieval date is expected to be July 3rd. That's if all goes to plan and its a 5 day transfer, I hope all goes well with your cycle!!

Net, my FS does not agree with me going to Cape Town, I had 3 cycles of IVF all failed and nothing fertilised. I've had a mmc at 13 weeks and 3 chemicals and he disagrees with me going to Cape town because he wanted to try natural IVF because he feels I would still have good eggs at 38. That's ignoring the fact my AMH is 3.1 and my FSH is 13. Sorry a bit of a rant there I went to my regular GP to see if she could do anything and it worked out well, she was able to get all the testing done for me and the only thing she couldn't prescribe was the Prostap injection so the clinic sent me the script to get it through the International Pharmacy.

AFM, my donor had her appointment to pick up her meds yesterday and I haven't heard anything so I assume she showed up and we're set to go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good morning lovelies,

Well lots happening!

Crystal - We are 2 days behind and will probably cross paths at the clinic as I have my initial appointment on the 3rd. I think Jennilea67 could also be at the clinic on the 3rd

Pixel - great AFC, looking good for you!!!

Net3811 - I could not get any assistance from my previous fertility clinics in Perth. I think it is illegal for them to assist under current ART legislation. However, I have known ladies who were assisted so I think it does depend on who you approach. It is worth an ask, worst case scenario they say no and then you can get the ball rolling via your GP.

Araline - the dreaded hormone roller coaster! Hang in there I am sure your beautiful embies are doing just fine and you will have some lovely blasts to transfer tomorrow

Jennilea67- look forward to catching up A girlfriend of mine did the CT thing almost 2 years ago. They only got 3 eggs, however fantastic quality. Two blasts transferred and now she has an adorable 1 yo son.

AFM - counting down start Progynova tomorrow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone, Araline we have had very little contact from the clinic, haven't worried about it as we were going there every couple of days and got updates then. Are going to call in on them today to find out how many embryos were frozen. Try not to stress. What will be will be and we can't do anything to change that. Hope you are enjoying yourself, the sightseeing has helped keep my mind off it and my stress levels down.
    Jennilee, I wasn't given the AFC result for my donor. I was told that if the donor is taking contraceptives it affects the result so maybe a result of 3 for your donor is just a sign she is on the pill? With the intralipids, I said I wanted to have it and after my first appointment I was told when I would be given it so nothing to organise really if you are doing it here. Just be sure to remind them that you are having it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BB4Me For This Useful Post:

Araline  (20-06-2013),Jennilee67  (19-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happyheart, we couldn't get the phone SIMs from the airport due to their system being down so the next day we went to the VA waterfront and found a phone shop there, it was only a small shop - saw a bigger one later, and we bought a basic mobile for $30 plus a R110 call allowance, prepaid. Also bought a SIM for the iPad and this cost about $50 and paid for a 1GB data allowance. Went back to the shop the next day and got the guy who served us to explain what package the phone was on as we couldn't tell from the info we were given. He then changed the plan to one that had cheaper calls/SMS. Also asked how do we tell how much data has been used on the iPad and he set up a login to Vodacom for us which enabled us to use the Internet to access that info. When I checked yesterday we still had 700mb of data to use and that is after using google maps heaps, email, and the Internet. We haven't called back home instead relying on SMS and email. Didn't bother with a smart phone as we had the iPad. DH has used the phone to text his workmates and we've had a couple of calls from the clinic. Apart from that the phone is more to provide a contact number for the car rental company and accommodation guy. Hope this helps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BB4Me For This Useful Post:

Happyheart1  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey Girls

Some howitzer managed to unsubscribe and wondered why it was so quiet!!!

BB4me and Araline - Congratulations what wonderful results and news.

BB4me - fantastic that you have two beautiful embies on board and two for the tank. Just brilliant. Can't wait to hear of your positive news. Glad all is going well for you guys.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to laned For This Useful Post:

BB4Me  (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, an update from Cape Town. We arrived on Monday and had our first appointment yesterday with dr Wiswedel. He then went off on holidays and left us in the hands of cyndi and dr Matebase. We were told we would receive a call yesterday with an update after our donors scan. We called at 5 and received the voicemail to say the offices close at 5pm even though their email signature states 5.30pm. We then called 3 times today and left messages and when I finally got through to someone at 4.30pm I was told everyone had left for the day. So still no news on how our donor is tracking. She has now had two scans and we know nothing. So I too am wearing the cranky pants but doing my best to enjoy our time here. We are currently in hermanus and we are going shark diving in the morning. Everyone thinks we are crazy but we figure what have we got to lose. This entire trip is a Once in a lifetime. The wineries here are beautiful and its definitely worth the drive. The restaurants are also amazing in Cape Town. We recommend Beluga and Mano's. so cheap compared to Sydney prices and the servings are huge. Every time we get the bill we laugh at how cheap it is. A bottle of wine is cheaper than a glass in a Sydney bar. The food and wine are fantastic so make sure you splurge. We all deserve it. Accom is also very cheap so treat yourself.