Closed Thread
Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies

Missleo, thanks for looking that up, I have heard it before while we were visiting Canada so I thought or was hoping it too was going to be an urban myth!!

BJ04, we leave 2 weeks from tomorrow It is getting so exciting!!!

Happyheart, If your donor is proven and all her tests come back fine then there's really nothing else you can do. My donor isn't proven but she has had a pregnancy termination so I know her eggs fertilise. I'm not going to worry about it because there's nothing I can do, she's 23 so I'm sure she has a few good eggs there

We're taking our 15 year old son so we decided to stay in Cape Town at the Mandela Rhodes Hotel. We got a 2 bedroom apartment so he can have his own bedroom and there's a kitchen but not so much to cook but more to keep snacks, breakfast cereals and small things. There's also a washer and dryer so DH can do laundry

Karin emailed me back and my donor stops her birth control pill on June 17th, she has an appointment with Karin on June 18th for meds and then she starts stimming on June 22nd

Hi to all the ladies waiting to go to Cape Town and all of our Mums to be Wishing all the ladies in Cape Town lots of

2. The Following User Says Thank You to crystal4431 For This Useful Post:

BB4Me  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    MissLeo - thanks! I am actually trying to book Sanbona staying at the Dwyka Tented Lodge. You should have seen my Mum's face when I said tents - . She was very reassured by the pictures. The location looks really beautiful.

Question to those that have been - did you go out of Cape Town once you had your scan and while waiting for transfer?

Hope all the June ladies are doing well!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BJ04 For This Useful Post:

BB4Me  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi BJ. Dykwa is exactly where we stayed, it was absolutely amazing (and unexpected luxury!). I cannot recommend Sanbona highly enough...you will love it.

We had a cheap apartment for almost the whole trip and just used it as a base a couple of times when we stayed overnight in places like Franschoek. You will find CT is actually quite small so you can achieve quite a bit in the days between scan and transfer...I think you will definitely want to stay in a few places outside CT.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Missleo For This Useful Post:

BJ04  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ladies....well I have gone and done it again....sorry, sorry, sorry, I have been MIA again!!

I just dont know where my days go....I havent been on BH for a while and I am so out of touch.

I will catch up on everyone's news.

AFM
    My flights are booked - 13-29 July......YEEHAA!!!

So the plan is: Arrive Cape Town on 14th; first lining scan 17th; donor EPU 19th; ET 24th; depart Cape Town 29th; BT 3rd August.

29 sleeps to go!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello everyone!
    I arrived in Cape Town a few days ago and it's such a vibrant friendly wonderful place. I am still a little tired from the long flight which was surprisingly good. I flew Singapore Airlines had 3 seats to myself for the Singapore to Cape Town leg and was able to stretch out and sleep. I'm staying at a wonderful small boutique hotel in the city centre, and while I have heard the sea front suburbs have fabulous accomodation options - I am so happy with my choice and love the hotel and the area. I am here by myself so I wanted somewhere that was a home away from home style of accommodation with a strong internet connection so I could work.

I went in for my lining scan yesterday and met the lovely team at CFC. Everything is going well and my donor is having an early egg pick up later today and I was so relieved to hear she was doing well personally and responding to the medications. I will find out in a few hours how many eggs there are, although I guess I will only have an idea of how they are progressing in a few days.

I am starting my progesterone intra muscular (bottom) injections today and I am a bit nervous. I guess there is no point in worrying about it as it has to be done. They recommended I get some Arnica oil for the bruising though. Other than that I was on the Lucrin which finished yesterday and will continue taking Progynova and Clexane as I have a blood clotting antibody problem.

I realised that I haven't booked in an acupuncturist for the transfer day. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know. I will contact the CFC on Monday and see if they have someone they use as well.

I hope everything going well with everyone. I have lost track a little of where everyone is up to. Best of luck in whatever stage you are in of the ED process. Libelle, Abundance1 and BB4M and anyone else I've missed that is going to South Africa this month may we all have an abundance of baby dust blown our way. I am so happy to be part of such an amazing group of women on this board who are going through this journey. If anyone has any questions about Cape Town that I can help with or the process I went through just let me know and I'll get back to you via the boards or pm.

@ Happyheart - Hang in there! I went through a similar communication process with CFC and it drove me crazy.

@ BB4M I hope your doing ok. I was lucky and the Vodocom store was open at the airport and the airport transfer driver helped me get my sim sorted out. Unfortunately the data bundle I purchased didn't work though, but I can call people. Sorry to hear about your experience with people harassing you. How awful! I've also been super cautious with safety precautions since arriving.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Araline For This Useful Post:

BB4Me  (16-06-2013),BJ04  (15-06-2013),Happyheart1  (16-06-2013),Levels26  (13-01-2014),Missleo  (15-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Araline it's awesome to hear from you and glad you are loving Cape Town, it really is a special place isn't it? For acupuncture CFC can give you a list of the couple of people they suggest - from that list I saw Vicky who was AMAZING and she really understood what you go through with the donor process so I would highly recommend her, she will make arrangements to ensure you can be fitted in even at short notice around transfer http://www.vickyhindmarch.com/. Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Missleo For This Useful Post:

Araline  (15-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

Cant believe how busy the forum is and so many people travelling to SA in the coming months. Good luck to everyone and lots of baby dust to you all.

For those of you that are looking at apartments we booked our one-bedroom apartment in the V&A Waterfront through Elite Properties South Africa.. great location and very secure with underground parking. Walking distance to the waterfront and in to the city.

I did notice you can book apartments at the waterfront via a online web engine called Bookings.com.
    We probably paid a little bit more but really felt secure and loved the location. We did travel down to Hermanus for two nights and went shark diving at Gansbaai which is only about 30 minutes from Hermanus. Had the best seafood in Hermanus.. if anyone is heading down to Hermanus from now to December hopefully you will get some whale spotting in.

We are heading back early November and probably looking at staying in a hotel as we are only need to head back for 5-7 days, so looking forward to hearing anyone's hotels recommendations.

Some of my favourite restaurant suggestions: Moyo down at the Waterfront, Cafe Africa down at Long Street. Good coffee ( of course pre- transfers) down at the waterfront is Vovo Telo. Another suggestion is try and catch a show - so cheap $20!!

Araline my acupuncture appointments were with Sarah Hewland - she was excellent and fitted me in at short notice for both pre/post and follow up consultations. Contact number: +27 21 671 5262. She is only 5 minutes away from Claremont.

Good luck to everyone heading over.

Enjoy the weekend. Makey D X

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Makeba For This Useful Post:

Araline  (15-06-2013),BJ04  (16-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the acupuncture advice and good wishes Missleo, it's much appreciated! I had a look at Vicky's webpage which is fantastic and also from what you said about your experience with her - she sounds perfect.

You're absolutely right about Cape Town, it really is special. It's very different to anywhere else I have travelled and it's difficult not be enchanted by the culture, history and diversity of this wonderful city. I've found there is a natural warmth, helpfulness and openness with everyone I've come across. Even the winter weather is not really harsh at all, and much nicer than Melbourne weather this time of year.

Edit: Makeba, I just saw your message. Thank you for Sarah Hewland's contact details, she also sounds great! I will definitely look into your restaurant tips and am looking forward to trying out African cuisines.
    Last edited by Araline; 15-06-2013 at 17:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone one. Welcome to CT Araline. DH and I are here for another week if you wanted to catch up. We are staying at the Dolphin Bay apartments at Moile Point. Wonderfully view of the ocean but the apartment isn't as good as the one we were staying in in the Cascades building. It's about $53 a night. Didn't want to pay too much in case we overnight somewhere else. Haven't had that opportunity yet as we have had to go to the clinic mon, wedn, today and again on mon. Had the intralipid infusion this morning. Took 2.5 hrs. DH used the iPad to play sudoku while he waited for me. Dr W informed me looks like we may have 7/8 embryos. 11 eggs were collected Wednesday 9 fertilised. I'm not going to worry about acupuncture, it didn't do me any good last time and I think it will stress me trying to fit it in then get there without getting lost. Have had to redirect DH a few times, the iPad and google maps has been fantastic for this. We've been cooking our own breakfast and tea most nights. The woollies store at the V&A has a small grocery store in the back if you go in past the clothes. We've been getting ostrich sausages/steaks/meat patties from there and last night we had kingklip fish which is really nice. Was thinking of doing another safari before we go so googled sanbona, it is much more expensive than the garden route game lodge. The food at the GRGLodge was amazing and much cheaper than in CT. spoilt me a bit, I want o go back just for the food! DH is ready to go out again so will end here. Thanks for your well wishes, hope my comments are as helpful as I have found everyone else's. baby dust to all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just got news that 18 eggs were collected this morning and I'm over the moon. In comparison to the 3-4 eggs that were collected each time I did IVF where I felt lucky if even 1 survived the fertilization, I feel so thankful to my youthful wonderful egg donor. Will see in the next few days how they progress with fertilisation and my transfer is booked for next Thursday.

I'm staying at the Cape Heritage Hotel throughout my whole trip, I was thinking of changing mid way and trying one of the beachside suburbs but I love where I'm staying. I'm just doing day trips but will be based here. The waterfront area sounds pretty amazing, I think it's about 20 mins walk from my hotel and I'm looking forward to checking it out. I've never tasted Ostrich meat before - I must try it.

So glad to hear everything is going well for you BB4Me and congratulations on your lovely embryos. It sounds like each of the FS doctors at CFC has their own protocol for ED. Mine seems a little different to everyone else. For anyone else doing the progesterone intra muscular shots to the bottom - they aren't bad at all and easy to do, they just look scary. Best of luck for the transfer BB4Me!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Araline For This Useful Post:

BB4Me  (16-06-2013),BJ04  (16-06-2013)