+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Am I being discriminated against? Or am I just complaining too much.

Ever since telling my employer I am pregnant, they have treated me a little differently. Their latest issue was a big list of things that they wanted to blame all on me, even though none of it is my fault. It included making other staff members cry, treating customers differently, and not performing my duties. I still do all my work, even though I shouldn't be because it is mainly lifting and bending... And I've told them it makes me hurt but they still expect a lot of me, so I keep doing it. I haven't changed at all since being pregnant, but now I really have to stop some of the duties I'm doing it just takes too much out of me. I told my employer I was leaving in June, but each time they bring it up they say 'may' no matter how many times I correct them. I'm starting to feel unwanted and different to everyone else. Am I wrong? And what can I do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MissH. Definitely stop the lifting!! I've had back surgery and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Do you have a union or HR person? Each industry has guidelines for maternity leave but there are national standards. If you're not sure the anti-discrimination website could steer you in the right direction. Be strong and stick to your guns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Go see your Dr and get a medical certificate to state that you're unable to lift more than __kg and also the duties you shouldn't be doing. Legally under the National Employment Standards your employer has to provide a "safe job" while pregnant and if they can't provide a safe job, they have to put you on "no safe job leave" which is fully paid leave. If they give you any trouble, call Fair Work Australia who will confirm what your rights are and step in if necessary.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (02-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Go see your Dr and get a medical certificate to state that you're unable to lift more than __kg and also the duties you shouldn't be doing. Legally under the National Employment Standards your employer has to provide a "safe job" while pregnant and if they can't provide a safe job, they have to put you on "no safe job leave" which is fully paid leave. If they give you any trouble, call Fair Work Australia who will confirm what your rights are and step in if necessary.
    Yep this, definitely!

With the performance stuff, being pregnant doesn't mean you can't be performance management.... You just can't be performance managed because you're pregnant if you know what I mean!

Obviously it's impossible for us to know all the background, but I woul suggest keeping a written record of any conversations to date and any others related to your performance.

In terms of your departure date, I would again put this in writing to your employer. If you want to work past 34 weeks some employers will insist on a medical certificate staying you are fit to work (which they can do). Is this perhaps why they are saying May?

Good luck. You absolutely shouldn't be treated any different due to pregnancy.