+ Reply to Thread
    Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Expressing Question

Just a quick one - I am full time expressing at the moment due to bubba not being able to latch and am finding my supply increasing each day. However I've noticed a big increase in one breast and only a slight increase in the other. In one breast the milk squirts out as soon as I start before slowing to a drip, wheras the other breast is a drip from the beginning. I am getting about 80mls from one side and 50 from the other. Any ideas why or how to fix it??

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have full time expressed... And generally I always got more milk from one side than the other. Nothing really made much of a difference to be honest, I figured it was normal! Though I did start pumping twice from the same side to see if I got a second let down in one pumping session. So I would pump left side, then right, then go back to left than right...that seemed to help get more. Sorry, I'm no expert!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Eco G,

I expressed full-time for my DD - my right breast produced over double what my left did! Apparently it's not unusual and not always something that can be corrected.

Make sure you completely drain your breasts until not a single drop is coming out and express regularly, that's the best way to increase supply whilst expressing full-time.

Good luck and you're doing a great job by expressing full-time!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    No need to fix, just keep going as you are. I used to be able to express twice as much from one side as I could from the other. One side just had more breast tissue. You could try expressing for longer on the side that doesn't produce as much. When I first had DD she favoured the right and was fussy on the left (smaller boob). I bf'd her for 18 months and I realised at some point after I got good at bf'ing that she ended up favouring the other side. I figured it was because I was right handed and I preferred to feed her from the left to keep my right arm free so I subconsciously let he feed longer on the left.

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone - glad to know its normal!

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post

Can I ask how come bub cannot attach? I ask because my own experience tells me that babies bottle fed more often than not take a preference to the bottle and pumping is really hard work- much harder than breastfeeding. Depending on the attachment issue you may be best off to look at using a SNS or a supply line. Either of these will ensure bub gets ready access to the milk but bub also learns to associate breasts with milk. It also helps with your supply as your breasts are being readily stimulated and it helps the hormones flow.... Sometimes an attachment issue is something easily corrected early on rather than later.
    I am hoping it will be short term but there seems to be a combination of problems - no matter what the LC's and midwives have tried they cant get her to open her mouth wide enough to attach properly and she is then chomping instead of sucking - doing lots of damage. Then there is the issue of vasospasms. I am trying to let my nipples heal and then going to reattach her now she is a few days older and see if she can open her mouth better. I would definitely rather breastfeed than pump but spent 5 days in hospital with mastitis with DS due to damaged nipples (he was exactly the same) and just cant do that to myself or my littlies again. Am hoping we can get it happening ASAP!